ABC Laboratories

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014
2.5

John D. Bucksath

Decent place to start, but only as a stepping stone to somewhere else.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work experience for new graduates. The skills gained look good on resumes.

Cons

The compensation is lower than most jobs in this field, and depending on your department work/life balance can be a challenge. Salaried employees are encouraged to work longer days without taking time off. A few departments must work weekends and holidays but are given little additional compensation.

Excellent opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician in Columbia, MO

I worked at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company rewards you for your individual effort, there is a strong team of excellent individuals that make each day an enjoyable challenge.

Cons

No real cons to discuss. When I first started there the benefit package was a little limited but hat has since been remedied.

Keep up the good work.

Perfectionist Robot is true

Former Employee - Former  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Former in Columbia, MO

I worked at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is not any pros for this company.

Cons

It's true about favoritism and everything else. There is more. Group leaders/team leaders are either lazy or micromanaging. Bosses did not want to do anything to improve but even they try but the people refuse to change or do not want to change. Some are really difficult to get along with. I do not understand why they didn’t receive any warning when they refuse to cooperate. Some did that quite often. Some people going extremely unnecessary expectations at work. Personally, I refuse to refer any company to this company. Some did unethical there. I am surprised that they haven’t caught yet.

Read "Who moved my cheese"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very mixed bag. No training, Little advancement.

I worked at ABC Laboratories

Pros

A pay check.
    A three percent match on the 401K.
    A health care program that was OK

Cons

Political infighting among management leads to an atmosphere of fear and blame.
    The company expected a minimum of 50 hr per week. The company came first, last and always. Mid level managers were obsequious or were dismissed. The primary value looked for was "loyalty".

Awful! Expect us to be perfectionist robot

I worked at ABC Laboratories full-time

Pros

There is nothing positive about this.

Cons

The most review comments are true. Some people did not do their work and expect other to finish for them. Some are lazy and got promoted. Some are hard workers did not get promoted until later. There are so much favoritism going on. Some people are very unprofessional and able to get away with it. Others did repeat error and mistake and yet got away with it. Some got warned or fired because of mistake. If you have an ability to gossip, brown-nosing, and earn favoritism from your boss and boss’ boss by all means stay there and sniff up in the behind all you want. Managers are greedy. If you are not favoritism and received warning, my advice is leave.

Most mangers should get fired, some team leaders should get fired. They said they would listen to the employees. I did leave my opinion through survey and at the end the result are different at the company's meeting. Everyone is happy and content in the survey. That is not what I wrote and few others did says the same thing.

Just a wee bit racist.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Columbia, MO

I worked at ABC Laboratories as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There was exposure to myriad analytical instrumentation and wet bench methodologies.

Cons

It wasn't culturally competent enough to address the needs of African-American employees.

Support racial tolerance initiatives.

Low morale due to poor management practices, lack of training for those without a scientific background.

I worked at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

The lab is a very state-of-the-art lab and the building is nice.

Cons

Everyone in this company is out for him or herself rather than working together as a team to reach company goals. If someone is doing a good job, others feel threatened and try to sabotage them. This is particularly true in the area of the company I worked in, and I heard as much about other areas as well. The culture is very "cliquish" for lack of a better term, and I once upset a coworker because I refused to talk bad about someone. If that's what you like, this is the place for you!

Listen to the scientists.

Only if you are in need of this job should you work here.

Current Employee - Chemist
    Current Employee - Chemist

I have been working at ABC Laboratories full-time

Pros

This is only a good place to work if you are tied to Mid-Missouri and have no other options or need experience for your resume. Also, they are very organized and structured. Unfortunately, the structure sometimes work against the company. The company is very sincere in their overall desire to have open communication and be a great work-place. This falls apart at middle management level due to promotions of unqualified people to scientist and chemist positions.

Cons

The middle management is unprofessional and usually unknowledgeable. All experiments are trial and error. The culture is lacking and scientific discussion is minimal. If you are looking for a rich scientific, fast-paced career option ABC Labs is not for you. Pay is on the low end, but I've heard that raises will put you where you want to be within about 5 years.

Hire from the outside. Only give merited promotions that are not based on length of time in the company.

Good, Mid Size Contact Research Organization

Current Employee - Staff Scientist  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Columbia, MO

I have been working at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management is open about the status of company financials, growth prospects, etc. in regular meetings with employees at leadership position as well as all employees.

Cons

Located away from the major pharmaceutical companies that are in the East and West part of the United States which affects frequency of meetings with clients.

Provide training opportunities such as participation in scientific meetings, specialized courses, etc.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at ABC Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great small community. Very easy to communicate between management.

Cons

A lot of work, but that's really a good thing.

Should hire more people, it would decrease stress level.

Worked for ABC Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!