ABC Legal Services

www.abclegal.com

ABC Legal Services Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014
ABC Legal Services – Seattle – “Steve Carrigan, CEO”

ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan

Steve Carrigan

Outstanding company to work for...Top-notch culture.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsSimply put, senior management at ABC 'gets it.' The loath micro-managing their team, and instead focus on hiring good people and giving them the latitude they need to be successful. Have an idea that you think will improve customer experience? Implement the idea and tell management about it later. If you thrive in an environment like this, you will not only enjoy working for ABC Legal, but you'll thrive within the company. The company as a whole is always looking for new ways to improve customer experience, which makes coming to work each day an absolute blast.

ConsABC lacks a formal training program, which they acknowledge. This can make the beginning of one's tenure with the company somewhat of a challenge, but on the other hand, if you learn best by jumping into the fire, you'll get on your feet at ABC very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an automated technology training system to quickly familiarize new hires with internal software programs.

Great place to work on paper.

Anonymous (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCasual work environment. Freedom to live your life, and perform at work. Benefits. The knowledge you will gain.

ConsNepotism. There is no real true opportunity. It's who you know and how well the current bosses like you. Also, there's not a lot of training, sink or swim. No legitimate write up policy. If the manager is sick of looking at you, and you have done nothing wrong. Goodbye.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the opportunity to change incorrect behavior or attitude. Treat advancement opportunities fairly and objectively. The best criteria for promotion isn't friendship.

Great in the beginning but went downhill fast

ProsLaid back atmosphere, flexible schedule, raises, great manager

ConsTwo many cliques in the office. If someone doesn't like you, they will start rumors. CEO, CFO and HR will demote hard working employees for no reason whatsoever and will make up different excuses as to why. Upper management spends too much time on new software development that never seems to be finished while allowing their employees to work in hostile office environments while ignoring concerns and issues. CEO is incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't demote employees for no reason. If there's a problem, discuss it with the employee and give them a chance to correct whatever it is. Reward your hardest working employees, don't punish them. Learn what's most important, your employees.. not some software that will just end up angering servers and clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This company was great to start, then everything went downhill and the work environment became very hostile.

Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a lot of variety in what you could do. If you were willing to put forth the extra effort, you could learn to do more than what you were hired for.

ConsThe leadership of this company was seriously flawed. They did not properly handle inappropriate work habits and rarely took care of hostile situations between employees. This was very much a "good old boys" situation. It didn't start this way - I'm not sure what happened to be honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to listen to their employees and investigate the issues thoroughly before coming up with an action plan. I also would advise that they stop yelling and cursing at their employees. It doesn't create a positive atmosphere and doesn't effectively enhance the work environment.

A mess of obnoxious coworkers and general disorganization

Office Assistant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood general atmosphere of the building, I.e, everything is clean and appears organized. Pay was decent although could've been higher for a clerical job. Upper management appears competent. Worm itself is mindless which can be either a pro or a con.

ConsWhile some of my coworkers were pleasant, many were difficult to work with. I won't get into specifics, but quite frankly it made my stay there unpleasant. Another problem is that the place is a revolving door, essentially, witj the new guy constantly getting the blame placed on them if there is a mistake(and there will be many mistakes). This was true for not just my position but the court runners as well. Lastly, the middle management, I.e. my boss, was not open to listening to the concerns and problems I had with my treatment there, especially when I was new.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement more concrete tracking procedures so that liability does not automatically default to the newest workers.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is alright and you can lead projects and contribute.

ConsBusiness goals shift and communication is lacking.

Enjoyable. Good balance of hard work and time to live my life.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEver evolving culture based on creating more efficient processes and meeting customer needs.
    Great sense of humor abounds.
    Solid stepping stone for working in an office environment and/or learning about the back end of legal process.

ConsHigh turnover in the past has people concerned for job stability (this seems to be changing).
    Communication can be non-existent, conflicting or just plain confusing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Trust your managers (or get people in those roles you do trust). Be patient with people through the changes. Say thank you. Get to know your employees.

Insanity, there's no questioning it

Everything (Current Employee)

ProsCasual dress. Great work/life balance.

ConsThey will pile more and more work on your plate for the SAME amount of $$$. It's like a buffet, more for less!! No room for advancement unless you want to move up to Seattle. Nobody ever recognizes your hard work. There is little to no communication, only feedback you will get is if you are doing something wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementApparently the company isn't making money like it used to, so focus on what's going to bring in the money. Put more time on marketing, advertising, sales to bring in more customers. Stop wasting time on software development! REWARD YOUR TEAM! There are great people here, show them that you care about them. COMMUNICATION!!! Conduct quarterly employee reviews instead of yearly ones. This year's "yearly review" was actually 5 months late! So that would make it almost a year and half without any feedback/raises.

Going downhill

ProsThe health insurance is pretty good, but that's about it.

ConsThings seem to have been going downhill for the past few years - money gets tighter, people get laid off, and raises never happen. The CEO & COO are nut jobs that send out ridiculous company-wide emails that have no reference to what most of us do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because the company isn't making more money doesn't mean the employees don't deserve raises. We have 2 people in our office doing what 8 people used to do. We constantly get more responsibilities but don't get any recognition or reimbursement for the extra work.

Not ideal, but could have been a lot worse.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent benefits, flexible schedule, and an on-site weight room/workout facility. I never had any huge complaints, but nothing really blew me away. I was fortunate to stick around for a few years and ultimately made some great friends, but I finally left when I realized I had hit the ceiling with no more room for growth.

ConsMost positions tend to be pretty thankless, and the company lives on collections and foreclosure work--not exactly a warm and fuzzy industry. ABC is the model of micro-management, which is unfortunate because the CEO and COO are clueless college buddies who happened upon the company due to the hard work of the CEO's father.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. You were surrounded by some great talent during my tenure but you were so caught up in software development—that never proved fruitful during my time—and failed to notice those around you. This contributed to a high turnover rate, which will ultimately doom the company. You are lucky to be in a relatively fail safe industry, especially one that thrives during a down economy.

Worked for ABC Legal Services? Contribute to the Community!