ABC Legal Services

Updated August 13, 2014

3.3

ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan
Steve Carrigan

An Incredibly Creative, Collaborative Yet Casual Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are always new ideas and projects to explore and contribute to at ABC. From performance improvement initiatives to brand new teams, ABC is bustling with activity. I've been here for three years and seen the growth of brand new teams (and those team's managers), IT applications and service lines. It's also great to work at a place that prioritizes culture, from the cool t-shirts, BAMFAN (GlassDoor's language filters won't let me tell you what that acronym stands for) and a generally casual atmosphere, respecting work/life balance.

Cons

Reading through a lot of the reviews, its clear that management takes the criticism of former employees seriously. It's great to see new strides being made on communication and a new HR Director helping dealing with up and downturns in work with new staffing plans.

Not a con, but I would say this place isn't for everyone, a core value is "Freedom for Performance" and ABC is as passionate at measuring performance as giving the freedom to perform. If you're a self-starter, an active learner, and you're going to give 100% (while not taking yourself too seriously!) this is the place for you.

good

Former Employee - Process Server  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Process Server in Columbia, SC

Pros

good work, always interesting....steady..sometimes fun

Cons

no support from office...felt alone and on my own

Please take an interest in those who work for you

Exciting, Vibrant Company filled with Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

They lead their industry because upper management thinks outside the box and encourages its employees to do the same. They are innovators that have changed the dynamics of legal support in the United States. They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies. They provide incentives and the opportunities are endless for advancement. Keep in mind you must be self-motivated to work in this environment but if you are, then you can advance very quickly. They are always looking for leaders to promote from within the company. The overall work environment is relaxed with a very liberal dress code. It’s simply a fun and challenging place to work if you’re motivated.

Cons

Slowdown software launches to coincide with completed employee training. Move faster into new markets.

Keep thinking outside the box and maintain your focus on customer satisfaction.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An amazing place with lots of individual potential!

Current Employee - Service Support  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

Pros

If you like fearless problem solving and seeing results this is the place for you. I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard.

Cons

Some folks have to commute in and there's limited parking.

Keep communication a focus. Include the outer offices in big changes that are coming and solicit feedback.

Outstanding company to work for...Top-notch culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Simply put, senior management at ABC 'gets it.' The loath micro-managing their team, and instead focus on hiring good people and giving them the latitude they need to be successful. Have an idea that you think will improve customer experience? Implement the idea and tell management about it later. If you thrive in an environment like this, you will not only enjoy working for ABC Legal, but you'll thrive within the company. The company as a whole is always looking for new ways to improve customer experience, which makes coming to work each day an absolute blast.

Cons

ABC lacks a formal training program, which they acknowledge. This can make the beginning of one's tenure with the company somewhat of a challenge, but on the other hand, if you learn best by jumping into the fire, you'll get on your feet at ABC very quickly.

Develop an automated technology training system to quickly familiarize new hires with internal software programs.

Don't question the insanity, it upsets the CEO

Current Employee - Service Support  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

Pros

No dress code. Medical/dental benefits. Great place to start out if you'd like to move on into other legal service fields or law offices. The vending machines usually worked.

Cons

"The fearless problem solving and seeing results.... I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard."

These motivational phrases gave you the illusion that you mattered or that management cared what you thought.

"They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies."

Sure, and that's why Steve Carrigan could be heard yelling at a client "I don't know, all of my employees are high or on drugs."

There's no room for advancement unless you're somehow related to someone or the managers favour you. Job quality never comes in to question.

It wasn't like this in the beginning, before Steve took over and brought in his "core values" and "fearless problem solving" and college buddies to help "grow the company" and become the best process serving company on the planet. The more Steve was involved, the more the quality of employment and the atmosphere of the entire company changed.

Steve Carrigan couldn't be any more out of touch with his employees (unless they're the ones he went to college with) or what it's like to be a human being. Having a sociopath running the company isn't probably the best business practice.

Great place to work on paper.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

Pros

Casual work environment. Freedom to live your life, and perform at work. Benefits. The knowledge you will gain.

Cons

Nepotism. There is no real true opportunity. It's who you know and how well the current bosses like you. Also, there's not a lot of training, sink or swim. No legitimate write up policy. If the manager is sick of looking at you, and you have done nothing wrong. Goodbye.

Give people the opportunity to change incorrect behavior or attitude. Treat advancement opportunities fairly and objectively. The best criteria for promotion isn't friendship.

This company was great to start, then everything went downhill and the work environment became very hostile.

Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist
    Former Employee - Data Entry Specialist

Pros

There was a lot of variety in what you could do. If you were willing to put forth the extra effort, you could learn to do more than what you were hired for.

Cons

The leadership of this company was seriously flawed. They did not properly handle inappropriate work habits and rarely took care of hostile situations between employees. This was very much a "good old boys" situation. It didn't start this way - I'm not sure what happened to be honest.

My advice to management would be to listen to their employees and investigate the issues thoroughly before coming up with an action plan. I also would advise that they stop yelling and cursing at their employees. It doesn't create a positive atmosphere and doesn't effectively enhance the work environment.

Great in the beginning but went downhill fast

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, flexible schedule, raises, great manager

Cons

Two many cliques in the office. If someone doesn't like you, they will start rumors. CEO, CFO and HR will demote hard working employees for no reason whatsoever and will make up different excuses as to why. Upper management spends too much time on new software development that never seems to be finished while allowing their employees to work in hostile office environments while ignoring concerns and issues. CEO is incompetent.

Don't demote employees for no reason. If there's a problem, discuss it with the employee and give them a chance to correct whatever it is. Reward your hardest working employees, don't punish them. Learn what's most important, your employees.. not some software that will just end up angering servers and clients.

A mess of obnoxious coworkers and general disorganization

Former Employee - Office Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good general atmosphere of the building, I.e, everything is clean and appears organized. Pay was decent although could've been higher for a clerical job. Upper management appears competent. Worm itself is mindless which can be either a pro or a con.

Cons

While some of my coworkers were pleasant, many were difficult to work with. I won't get into specifics, but quite frankly it made my stay there unpleasant. Another problem is that the place is a revolving door, essentially, witj the new guy constantly getting the blame placed on them if there is a mistake(and there will be many mistakes). This was true for not just my position but the court runners as well. Lastly, the middle management, I.e. my boss, was not open to listening to the concerns and problems I had with my treatment there, especially when I was new.

Implement more concrete tracking procedures so that liability does not automatically default to the newest workers.

Worked for ABC Legal Services? Contribute to the Community!