ABC Legal Services

Updated November 25, 2014
3.1

ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan
Steve Carrigan

ABC legal is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Process Server in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Process Server in Houston, TX

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, great employees, fair pay

Cons

They have a tendency of hiring too many employees when work picks up

Working at ABC was a fast paced job with high demand but low satisfaction.

Former Employee - Courier in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Courier in Tacoma, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros consist of working at your own pace and staying busy throughout most of the day.

Cons

The cons would have to stem from the high end stresses of inter office politics effecting quality work conditions.

Consider your messengers valuable employees because when money gets slow from process the messengers bring home the monthly income to keep your company afloat. The customers depend on the messenger system more than you even know.

Negative and unprofessional environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer full benefits package. Some people are very friendly after they warm up to you.
    ABC also provides lunch catering once in a while and free expresso.

Cons

The CEO is very uptight. Majority of the time very unprofessional, rude, and is always suspicious of his employees. When I was first hired the first 2 weeks he would walk out of meetings yelling and swearing. He has no boundaries or respect for his employees. There is a lot of favoritism within management. I have never worked for a company where you don't feel acknowledged or welcomed, but then my assumption is on the fact that it is a toxic and negative environment so it affects almost everyone who has to work with upper management. If the CEO wasn't so negative I believe ABC employees would be happier and would want to come into work.
    Every department is different, but when you have to see such negativity and poor management from the top, it trickles down to the rest of the company.

ABC Legal

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance. That's about it

Cons

Salary, Culture, Outlook, Support, Managers

Good at the local level, but senior management seriously out of touch

I have been working at ABC Legal Services

Pros

ABC seems to have made great strides in hiring solid mid-level managers to run their local offices. My office has a new leader and we have experienced a profound improvement not only in office culture, but office performance as well.

No dress code is a perk as well.

Cons

The majority of the executive team is clueless. They have no idea what is going on outside of Seattle, as evidenced by the rambling company-wide emails occasionally sent out by Steve Carrigan and Tim Dinehart. This company seems to be on solid financial footing almost despite itself.

On a personal note, ABC doesn't believe in yearly raises regardless of the strength of one's performance reviews, so many employees (including me) are constantly keeping an eye on the market for a better paying job.

Clue in to your local offices. Keep hiring strong office and regional managers. Take away the company wide email privileges of Dinehart and Carrigan-their frequent emails are laughable and do little more than make employees think even less of them.

An Incredibly Creative, Collaborative Yet Casual Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are always new ideas and projects to explore and contribute to at ABC. From performance improvement initiatives to brand new teams, ABC is bustling with activity. I've been here for three years and seen the growth of brand new teams (and those team's managers), IT applications and service lines. It's also great to work at a place that prioritizes culture, from the cool t-shirts, BAMFAN (GlassDoor's language filters won't let me tell you what that acronym stands for) and a generally casual atmosphere, respecting work/life balance.

Cons

Reading through a lot of the reviews, its clear that management takes the criticism of former employees seriously. It's great to see new strides being made on communication and a new HR Director helping dealing with up and downturns in work with new staffing plans.

Not a con, but I would say this place isn't for everyone, a core value is "Freedom for Performance" and ABC is as passionate at measuring performance as giving the freedom to perform. If you're a self-starter, an active learner, and you're going to give 100% (while not taking yourself too seriously!) this is the place for you.

good

Former Employee - Process Server in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Process Server in Columbia, SC

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work, always interesting....steady..sometimes fun

Cons

no support from office...felt alone and on my own

Please take an interest in those who work for you

Don't question the insanity, it upsets the CEO

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code. Medical/dental benefits. Great place to start out if you'd like to move on into other legal service fields or law offices. The vending machines usually worked.

Cons

"The fearless problem solving and seeing results.... I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard."

These motivational phrases gave you the illusion that you mattered or that management cared what you thought.

"They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies."

Sure, and that's why Steve Carrigan could be heard yelling at a client "I don't know, all of my employees are high or on drugs."

There's no room for advancement unless you're somehow related to someone or the managers favour you. Job quality never comes in to question.

It wasn't like this in the beginning, before Steve took over and brought in his "core values" and "fearless problem solving" and college buddies to help "grow the company" and become the best process serving company on the planet. The more Steve was involved, the more the quality of employment and the atmosphere of the entire company changed.

Steve Carrigan couldn't be any more out of touch with his employees (unless they're the ones he went to college with) or what it's like to be a human being. Having a sociopath running the company isn't probably the best business practice.

An amazing place with lots of individual potential!

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like fearless problem solving and seeing results this is the place for you. I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard.

Cons

Some folks have to commute in and there's limited parking.

Keep communication a focus. Include the outer offices in big changes that are coming and solicit feedback.

Exciting, Vibrant Company filled with Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They lead their industry because upper management thinks outside the box and encourages its employees to do the same. They are innovators that have changed the dynamics of legal support in the United States. They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies. They provide incentives and the opportunities are endless for advancement. Keep in mind you must be self-motivated to work in this environment but if you are, then you can advance very quickly. They are always looking for leaders to promote from within the company. The overall work environment is relaxed with a very liberal dress code. It’s simply a fun and challenging place to work if you’re motivated.

Cons

Slowdown software launches to coincide with completed employee training. Move faster into new markets.

Keep thinking outside the box and maintain your focus on customer satisfaction.