ABC Legal Services
www.abclegal.com Seattle, WA 150 to 499 Employees

ABC Legal Services Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
ABC Legal Services – Seattle – “Steve Carrigan, CEO”

ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan

Steve Carrigan

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation is alright and you can lead projects and contribute.

ConsBusiness goals shift and communication is lacking.

This company was great to start, then everything went downhill and the work environment became very hostile.

Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThere was a lot of variety in what you could do. If you were willing to put forth the extra effort, you could learn to do more than what you were hired for.

ConsThe leadership of this company was seriously flawed. They did not properly handle inappropriate work habits and rarely took care of hostile situations between employees. This was very much a "good old boys" situation. It didn't start this way - I'm not sure what happened to be honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to listen to their employees and investigate the issues thoroughly before coming up with an action plan. I also would advise that they stop yelling and cursing at their employees. It doesn't create a positive atmosphere and doesn't effectively enhance the work environment.

A mess of obnoxious coworkers and general disorganization

Office Assistant (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood general atmosphere of the building, I.e, everything is clean and appears organized. Pay was decent although could've been higher for a clerical job. Upper management appears competent. Worm itself is mindless which can be either a pro or a con.

ConsWhile some of my coworkers were pleasant, many were difficult to work with. I won't get into specifics, but quite frankly it made my stay there unpleasant. Another problem is that the place is a revolving door, essentially, witj the new guy constantly getting the blame placed on them if there is a mistake(and there will be many mistakes). This was true for not just my position but the court runners as well. Lastly, the middle management, I.e. my boss, was not open to listening to the concerns and problems I had with my treatment there, especially when I was new.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement more concrete tracking procedures so that liability does not automatically default to the newest workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable. Good balance of hard work and time to live my life.

Seattle, WA

ProsEver evolving culture based on creating more efficient processes and meeting customer needs.
    Great sense of humor abounds.
    Solid stepping stone for working in an office environment and/or learning about the back end of legal process.

ConsHigh turnover in the past has people concerned for job stability (this seems to be changing).
    Communication can be non-existent, conflicting or just plain confusing at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. Trust your managers (or get people in those roles you do trust). Be patient with people through the changes. Say thank you. Get to know your employees.

Insanity, there's no questioning it

Everything (Current Employee)

ProsCasual dress. Great work/life balance.

ConsThey will pile more and more work on your plate for the SAME amount of $$$. It's like a buffet, more for less!! No room for advancement unless you want to move up to Seattle. Nobody ever recognizes your hard work. There is little to no communication, only feedback you will get is if you are doing something wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementApparently the company isn't making money like it used to, so focus on what's going to bring in the money. Put more time on marketing, advertising, sales to bring in more customers. Stop wasting time on software development! REWARD YOUR TEAM! There are great people here, show them that you care about them. COMMUNICATION!!! Conduct quarterly employee reviews instead of yearly ones. This year's "yearly review" was actually 5 months late! So that would make it almost a year and half without any feedback/raises.

Going downhill

ProsThe health insurance is pretty good, but that's about it.

ConsThings seem to have been going downhill for the past few years - money gets tighter, people get laid off, and raises never happen. The CEO & COO are nut jobs that send out ridiculous company-wide emails that have no reference to what most of us do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because the company isn't making more money doesn't mean the employees don't deserve raises. We have 2 people in our office doing what 8 people used to do. We constantly get more responsibilities but don't get any recognition or reimbursement for the extra work.

Not ideal, but could have been a lot worse.

Seattle, WA

ProsDecent benefits, flexible schedule, and an on-site weight room/workout facility. I never had any huge complaints, but nothing really blew me away. I was fortunate to stick around for a few years and ultimately made some great friends, but I finally left when I realized I had hit the ceiling with no more room for growth.

ConsMost positions tend to be pretty thankless, and the company lives on collections and foreclosure work--not exactly a warm and fuzzy industry. ABC is the model of micro-management, which is unfortunate because the CEO and COO are clueless college buddies who happened upon the company due to the hard work of the CEO's father.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. You were surrounded by some great talent during my tenure but you were so caught up in software development—that never proved fruitful during my time—and failed to notice those around you. This contributed to a high turnover rate, which will ultimately doom the company. You are lucky to be in a relatively fail safe industry, especially one that thrives during a down economy.

Alright for a stepping stone that needs to be stepped on.

ProsRoof deck to hang out on. Occasionally catered lunch. There are some genuine people working there that make working there not completely life draining.

ConsUnless you rub elbows with upper management, there are hardly any promotions. They keep adding responsibility to your job without compensation. Communicating between departments is way below par. High turn-over of employees (which is not a good look). Customer service is not knowledgeable about policies/poorly trained which leads to many clients being confused. Lay off/demote/promote the wrong people.

Advice to Senior Management"If it's not broken, fix it anyways" does not make sense. Stop demoting/laying off people who are solid workers that have the best interest in mind for the whole company as well as your employees. Start training people better and communicate between departments, especially when there are changes that the customer needs to know about.

Great place!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove the challenges you face daily.

ConsSometimes the folks that have been here forever get a little stuck in their ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward!

you will primarily handle collections and foreclosure

Portland, OR

ProsLimited, benefits are decent for size of company. 401k match only benefits high earners.

ConsLeadership is challenging, they are unable to delegate. Promotions based on relationships, rather than performance. All promotions are reviewed by CEO/COO, who bring their own perspective to what a job should mean, how someone should perform it and what amount of pay should compensate for the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more, trust employees, shed true underperformers. Give midlevel managers ability to add and remove members from their teams. Don't hire clients' kids.

Worked for ABC Legal Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ABC Legal Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ABC Legal Services CEO Steve Carrigan . All 20 reviews posted anonymously by ABC Legal Services employees.