ABC Legal Services

3.1

ABC Legal Services Chief Executive Officer and President Steve Carrigan
Steve Carrigan

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An Incredibly Creative, Collaborative Yet Casual Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are always new ideas and projects to explore and contribute to at ABC. From performance improvement initiatives to brand new teams, ABC is bustling with activity. I've been here for three years and seen the growth of brand new teams (and those team's managers), IT applications and service lines. It's also great to work at a place that prioritizes culture, from the cool t-shirts, BAMFAN (GlassDoor's language filters won't let me tell you what that acronym stands for) and a generally casual atmosphere, respecting work/life balance.

Cons

Reading through a lot of the reviews, its clear that management takes the criticism of former employees seriously. It's great to see new strides being made on communication and a new HR Director helping dealing with up and downturns in work with new staffing plans.

Not a con, but I would say this place isn't for everyone, a core value is "Freedom for Performance" and ABC is as passionate at measuring performance as giving the freedom to perform. If you're a self-starter, an active learner, and you're going to give 100% (while not taking yourself too seriously!) this is the place for you.

Negative and unprofessional environment

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer full benefits package. Some people are very friendly after they warm up to you.
    ABC also provides lunch catering once in a while and free expresso.

Cons

The CEO is very uptight. Majority of the time very unprofessional, rude, and is always suspicious of his employees. When I was first hired the first 2 weeks he would walk out of meetings yelling and swearing. He has no boundaries or respect for his employees. There is a lot of favoritism within management. I have never worked for a company where you don't feel acknowledged or welcomed, but then my assumption is on the fact that it is a toxic and negative environment so it affects almost everyone who has to work with upper management. If the CEO wasn't so negative I believe ABC employees would be happier and would want to come into work.
    Every department is different, but when you have to see such negativity and poor management from the top, it trickles down to the rest of the company.

Exciting, Vibrant Company filled with Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They lead their industry because upper management thinks outside the box and encourages its employees to do the same. They are innovators that have changed the dynamics of legal support in the United States. They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies. They provide incentives and the opportunities are endless for advancement. Keep in mind you must be self-motivated to work in this environment but if you are, then you can advance very quickly. They are always looking for leaders to promote from within the company. The overall work environment is relaxed with a very liberal dress code. It’s simply a fun and challenging place to work if you’re motivated.

Cons

Slowdown software launches to coincide with completed employee training. Move faster into new markets.

Keep thinking outside the box and maintain your focus on customer satisfaction.

An amazing place with lots of individual potential!

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like fearless problem solving and seeing results this is the place for you. I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard.

Cons

Some folks have to commute in and there's limited parking.

Keep communication a focus. Include the outer offices in big changes that are coming and solicit feedback.

Don't question the insanity, it upsets the CEO

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code. Medical/dental benefits. Great place to start out if you'd like to move on into other legal service fields or law offices. The vending machines usually worked.

Cons

"The fearless problem solving and seeing results.... I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard."

These motivational phrases gave you the illusion that you mattered or that management cared what you thought.

"They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies."

Sure, and that's why Steve Carrigan could be heard yelling at a client "I don't know, all of my employees are high or on drugs."

There's no room for advancement unless you're somehow related to someone or the managers favour you. Job quality never comes in to question.

It wasn't like this in the beginning, before Steve took over and brought in his "core values" and "fearless problem solving" and college buddies to help "grow the company" and become the best process serving company on the planet. The more Steve was involved, the more the quality of employment and the atmosphere of the entire company changed.

Steve Carrigan couldn't be any more out of touch with his employees (unless they're the ones he went to college with) or what it's like to be a human being. Having a sociopath running the company isn't probably the best business practice.

Great place to work on paper.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment. Freedom to live your life, and perform at work. Benefits. The knowledge you will gain.

Cons

Nepotism. There is no real true opportunity. It's who you know and how well the current bosses like you. Also, there's not a lot of training, sink or swim. No legitimate write up policy. If the manager is sick of looking at you, and you have done nothing wrong. Goodbye.

Give people the opportunity to change incorrect behavior or attitude. Treat advancement opportunities fairly and objectively. The best criteria for promotion isn't friendship.

Enjoyable. Good balance of hard work and time to live my life.

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time

Pros

Ever evolving culture based on creating more efficient processes and meeting customer needs.
    Great sense of humor abounds.
    Solid stepping stone for working in an office environment and/or learning about the back end of legal process.

Cons

High turnover in the past has people concerned for job stability (this seems to be changing).
    Communication can be non-existent, conflicting or just plain confusing at times.

Communicate. Trust your managers (or get people in those roles you do trust). Be patient with people through the changes. Say thank you. Get to know your employees.

Not ideal, but could have been a lot worse.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible schedule, and an on-site weight room/workout facility. I never had any huge complaints, but nothing really blew me away. I was fortunate to stick around for a few years and ultimately made some great friends, but I finally left when I realized I had hit the ceiling with no more room for growth.

Cons

Most positions tend to be pretty thankless, and the company lives on collections and foreclosure work--not exactly a warm and fuzzy industry. ABC is the model of micro-management, which is unfortunate because the CEO and COO are clueless college buddies who happened upon the company due to the hard work of the CEO's father.

Trust your employees. You were surrounded by some great talent during my tenure but you were so caught up in software development—that never proved fruitful during my time—and failed to notice those around you. This contributed to a high turnover rate, which will ultimately doom the company. You are lucky to be in a relatively fail safe industry, especially one that thrives during a down economy.

Good coworkers, weird strategy

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone works fairly independently, but working for ABC was like working for a big happy awkward family. You get to know the people on your team, and depending on what department you work in you spend a lot of time interacting with ABC employees in other states.

It's a great opportunity to become familiar with the legal field and court system.

The fringe benefits are pretty good. The insurance is solid and partly covered for employees (dependents pay full price), you start with PTO (which was just upped to comply with the Seattle law if you work out of the main office), and work-life balance is good. I never had a problem taking part of a day off for appointments when I needed to, or even taking a little unpaid time off if I had a family or health emergency. Meetings are usually scheduled in advance so you can work around them.

Cons

If you are asked to take on additional responsibility, it is unlikely you will see a pay bump, and if you do it will not make it worth your while. Being as the initial pay can be pretty poor, this is doubly bad.

Benefits were reduced throughout my tenure. 401k match went down, employee morale functions (rooftop gatherings, ice cream parties) went from rare to near-nonexistent, and lunch was no longer provided every other Friday. While I understand these are "above and beyond" for many companies to offer, it was sad to see them go. Free money and free food are great on their own merit, sure, but the opportunities to actually engage with coworkers on other teams were part of the fun.

While the coworkers are good, it's very clear that this isn't a career for 90% of the staff. They're either waiting for something else, working themselves through school, or just needed something to pay the bills.

Direct managers are, in my experience, pretty good. However, upper management really needs to find a plan you they can sustain and stick with it. The cycles of putting all your eggs into one basket, missed project deadlines, and empty communication combined with flipping between hiring blitzes and downsizing leads to low employee confidence and poor motivation. The "staying on your feet in a changing industry" line only works when you go places.

Good for what it is.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paychecks never bounce.

ABC is a good place to make money to pay the rent while you're trying to figure out what you really want to do with your life. Beyond that, not so much.

Cons

Constant cyclical hiring and firing. ABC is relatively flat, so there is very little opportunity for real promotion. You will find the opportunity to take on more work for the same pay, but there is no room to move above department or office manager in the company.

Stop showing the drawing of an upward-trending wave, and start planning for sustainable operations through the middle of the cycle.