ABC Legal Services Reviews

1. Freedom for Performance

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nobody tells you what to do or demand you do things a certain way. Lot's of support for creativity and individuality.

Cons

The industry is not growing right now and has some compliance overhang issues causing revenue to be flat to down slightly.

Advice to Management

Find a way to diversify and find new revenue streams.

2. Crappy disorganzied company with chaos!

Current Employee - Accounting in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time

Pros

Espresso and free lunches, no dress code, that's about it.

Cons

Horribly run and disorganized company with no real plan. No structure, no training, they kick you out or promote you based on personal likes or dislikes. That's what you get for a family owned company. No plan or training, completely all over the place and disorganized. I don't recommend working here.

Advice to Management

Management sucks

Good work, rampant nepotism.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code.
    Small-company feel, should you like that sort of atmosphere.
    Ability to constantly stay busy (because there is always work to be done).
    Flexible work schedule (ability to negotiate your schedule).
    Occasional perks like free lunches or fresh fruit delivered, etc.
    Occasional potential for overtime work (often with extra incentives).

Cons

Emotional/unprofessional management. People at the management level can be overly emotionally invested in the company, which can manifest in a manager yelling at his employees and taking them to task (in front of other teams) for something they consider done incorrectly or not in a timely fashion. It can also include disagreements turning in to shouting matches between management teams.
    Unrealistic expectations. My supervisor once yelled at myself and my team for getting ready to leave at 5:00pm on a Friday evening (when we were supposed to get off work) because we had not completed the work he expected us to; my team had a constant flow of work, with new orders coming as we finished others. This supervisor then went home without touching any of the leftover work.
    Constant turnover rates due to high stress levels, incompetent management, and attempts to save money on personnel instead of processes. This manifests in new employees as well as a stream of temp workers, which have to be re-trained each time someone new comes, on top of whatever work you are supposed to finish.
    No real performance review process in place, and therefore no set method to gauge how you as an employee are doing or to obtain a raise. I was doing the work of a team lead position for about 6 months (with my supervisor advocating to HR the whole time to get me the actual promotion) before the title change and raise was granted. No performance review was actually completed during that time.
    Little to no job security. Layoffs are almost a yearly event in the fall, and you never knew whether or not you were going to make the cut, regardless of seniority or performance.
    Not adhering to company values: "Question the insanity." Questioning insanity is acceptable when done by people at the management level, and seemingly unacceptable when pointed out by the people who do the day-to-day work and see room for improvement.
    Not adhering to company values: "We are open and nakedly truthful with ourselves and each other." There is rarely any openness about changes being discussed by management, even when I was in a team lead position and my team was concerned. When decisions were made, they were announced without a chance to critique plans by the people who are more familiar with the work.
    HR complaints ineffective. When complaints are lodged with HR regarding another employee's behaviors, no course of action is taken. Regular employees then tend not to make complaints because it does no good.
    Nepotism. There are several employees who were friends of someone in management that were then hired. These people also tended to get raises and promotions more frequently than other employees. There is not much room for advancement if you do not have personal connections higher in the company.

Advice to Management

Start hiring, promoting, and firing people based on their performance, not their personal connections.
    Implement better financial planning to anticipate seasonal workload volumes.
    Be open to taking suggestions from the people on the ground level, because they see the work and where improvements can be made.

Only close personal friends need apply.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, work life balance, and occasional catered lunch.

Cons

Everything else! I have been at ABC Legal for over a year. In that time I have seen good hard workers let go because of salary. I've seen Managers hire only their friends and it's overlooked by management entirely. I've seen managers fire people to make room for their friends. No reviews for raises, because the company is trying to save money, but the CEO can buy a new Tesla. I've seen people get rewarded for other people's work. Ive seen people get rewarded when their work pales in comparison to achievements of others work. The salary range is a joke. Investigations and Customer Service are paid only slightly more than the people who scan barcodes all day. But deal with 100 times more. Most of which is being screamed at or demanded around. Yet they are supposed to maintain a level of happiness. This place is reactive, never proactive, and by alienating employees, rather than taking care of them, they will always have a high turn over rate of inexperienced people. They don't care about longevity when it comes to an employee. To them, we are only an expense not a necessity.

Advice to Management

Pay your people fair market value for them. Keep them around, if they are happy and comfortable financially, then work is less of a chore, and they will work harder for you. Stop firing people, who know what they are doing, just to save money. The next guy behind them has no clue and now that's one less resource, slower production, more training, which is an investment and less productivity. Stop hiring friends. That gives no one a fair shot to shine and be promoted if there's always a favorite.

Disaster waiting to happen

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The development team was full of good people with lots of knowledge about the product and good ideas about how to solve problems in the product
    - It was fairly easy to troubleshoot problems because everyone has full access to the code
    - We had a kegerator and water cooler

Cons

No job security
    - Layoffs occurred annually in the fall, even though we all knew to expect seasonal slow business around that time and the business should've been able to plan for it throughout the year
    - We were told we were too expensive for the company, even though we were underpaid for the Seattle area
    - We never had reviews and people weren't told if they were under-performing or doing something wrong; they were just fired
    - When the dev team lost several people in the span of a few months, the CEO bought a new Tesla and those people were never replaced

Poor management of the dev team
    - A project that should've taken 6 months got dragged out to 5+ years because of bad prioritization, terrible requirements gathering, and feature creep running totally unchecked
    - Never enough time to design code well because we were told to spend the least amount of time on every feature ("Size it assuming you don't have to worry about that problem" was a regular answer in sprint planning)
    - The business said it was too hard to get good requirements before we started working on a feature, so we constantly had to re-do old implementations when they learned that users couldn't use what we had already built
    - "Urgent" priorities popped up every day, derailing planned work
    - Project managers would pull devs aside for other projects every day or two without any regard for context switching costs
    - No long-term vision of what the dev team was supposed to do for the company

Hostile environment
    - Drug deals, domestic disputes, and prostitution all happened in the park next door and in the building's parking lot
    - Sprint planning meetings involved company executives shouting at each other and project managers getting angry at devs for sizing stories higher than they wanted
    - If we asked questions about privacy or security in upcoming features, we were told that it wasn't a problem
    - Bathrooms usually smelled like sewer gas and had stuff growing in the vents

Inferior benefits/compensation
    - Benefits and pay were far below what other dev teams offer in Seattle
    - Raises were rare - some people on the dev team hadn't gotten a raise in years

Advice to Management

Don't do software development. Learn how to plan ahead for lean months.

Negative and unprofessional environment

I worked at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer full benefits package. Some people are very friendly after they warm up to you.
    ABC also provides lunch catering once in a while and free expresso.

Cons

The CEO is very uptight. Majority of the time very unprofessional, rude, and is always suspicious of his employees. When I was first hired the first 2 weeks he would walk out of meetings yelling and swearing. He has no boundaries or respect for his employees. There is a lot of favoritism within management. I have never worked for a company where you don't feel acknowledged or welcomed, but then my assumption is on the fact that it is a toxic and negative environment so it affects almost everyone who has to work with upper management. If the CEO wasn't so negative I believe ABC employees would be happier and would want to come into work.
    Every department is different, but when you have to see such negativity and poor management from the top, it trickles down to the rest of the company.

8. An Incredibly Creative, Collaborative Yet Casual Atmosphere!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are always new ideas and projects to explore and contribute to at ABC. From performance improvement initiatives to brand new teams, ABC is bustling with activity. I've been here for three years and seen the growth of brand new teams (and those team's managers), IT applications and service lines. It's also great to work at a place that prioritizes culture, from the cool t-shirts, BAMFAN (GlassDoor's language filters won't let me tell you what that acronym stands for) and a generally casual atmosphere, respecting work/life balance.

Cons

Reading through a lot of the reviews, its clear that management takes the criticism of former employees seriously. It's great to see new strides being made on communication and a new HR Director helping dealing with up and downturns in work with new staffing plans.

Not a con, but I would say this place isn't for everyone, a core value is "Freedom for Performance" and ABC is as passionate at measuring performance as giving the freedom to perform. If you're a self-starter, an active learner, and you're going to give 100% (while not taking yourself too seriously!) this is the place for you.

Don't question the insanity, it upsets the CEO

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No dress code. Medical/dental benefits. Great place to start out if you'd like to move on into other legal service fields or law offices. The vending machines usually worked.

Cons

"The fearless problem solving and seeing results.... I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard."

These motivational phrases gave you the illusion that you mattered or that management cared what you thought.

"They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies."

Sure, and that's why Steve Carrigan could be heard yelling at a client "I don't know, all of my employees are high or on drugs."

There's no room for advancement unless you're somehow related to someone or the managers favour you. Job quality never comes in to question.

It wasn't like this in the beginning, before Steve took over and brought in his "core values" and "fearless problem solving" and college buddies to help "grow the company" and become the best process serving company on the planet. The more Steve was involved, the more the quality of employment and the atmosphere of the entire company changed.

Advice to Management

Steve Carrigan couldn't be any more out of touch with his employees (unless they're the ones he went to college with) or what it's like to be a human being. Having a sociopath running the company isn't probably the best business practice.

10. Exciting, Vibrant Company filled with Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They lead their industry because upper management thinks outside the box and encourages its employees to do the same. They are innovators that have changed the dynamics of legal support in the United States. They hire smart people and encourage them to question the insanity of redundant mindless tasks and implement changes that create efficiencies. They provide incentives and the opportunities are endless for advancement. Keep in mind you must be self-motivated to work in this environment but if you are, then you can advance very quickly. They are always looking for leaders to promote from within the company. The overall work environment is relaxed with a very liberal dress code. It’s simply a fun and challenging place to work if you’re motivated.

Cons

Slowdown software launches to coincide with completed employee training. Move faster into new markets.

Advice to Management

Keep thinking outside the box and maintain your focus on customer satisfaction.

11. An amazing place with lots of individual potential!

Current Employee - Service Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at ABC Legal Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like fearless problem solving and seeing results this is the place for you. I've never worked somewhere that actually lives it's core values. I question insanity all the time and my voice is heard.

Cons

Some folks have to commute in and there's limited parking.

Advice to Management

Keep communication a focus. Include the outer offices in big changes that are coming and solicit feedback.

RSS Feed </> Embed