ABF Freight Reviews

103 reviews filtered by
3.4
ABF Freight CEO Judy R. McReynolds
Judy R. McReynolds

Pros
  • Good benefit, good pay easy job union job (in 11 reviews)

• Solid reputation, good pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over worked but compensated (in 13 reviews)

• Work/life balance is impossible unless you don't care (in 3 reviews)

1. Great pay and benefits

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ABF Freight (more than a year)

Pros

This job has many perks. Management makes you feel like part of the team and everyone is generally very positive.

Cons

There aren't many downsides to ABF. If you want to work for a carrier, I would highly recommend ABF. The only con I could see is work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Make everyone feel like their contribution matters and ABF will continue to grow.

2. Operations Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, good company to work for

Cons

Hours are long, it is a Union shop so that could be a con when issues come up

3. the pay is good and the benefits are great.

Current Employee - P and D Driver Checker in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - P and D Driver Checker in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I would have to say one of the best reasons to work here is the health insurance.The people are pretty good too.

Cons

I would have to say that one of the cons is that you start at the bottom no matter what and it can be rough at the bottom.

Advice to Management

Think about the future. Listen closely to the wealth of wisdom all around you. Regardless of the tone in which it is presented, these old timers have seen it all. What's new to you has been done before. They'll let you know what works if you ask. Don't let foolish pride blind you.

5. COE Student Worker

A very good company to work for especially if you are in school.

Current Employee - COE Student in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - COE Student in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at ABF Freight (more than 3 years)

Pros

Whatever department you work for that except COE positions are very supportive to students whom are diligent and a go-getter in work and school. They have already seen the potential which is how you became an employee of ABF Freight System ie. ARCBest. They are family oriented and that is a plus in my book. The best time to become employed here because the culture is in transition. A lot of the "Loyal Long Term" employees are retiring. Great company to work for!

Cons

How did the long term stay so long? Most of them had no degree when they started. So they were trained well to help develop the company to the standards it now maintains. So, how does a COE student gain full-time status with this organization without having to drop out of school I SMH... to say I have no idea. I am trying right now to become employed before I step on the stage to receive my degree. My disposition, work ethic, and qualities meet the culture here, I may not have the same skin color as the majority, but I am excepted and blend "culturally comfortable. " This says I am very trainable and would love to stay on, Just give me a chance! I have seen a lot of COEs come and go this past 4 years whom were not hired and where not of my color either. So, I thank God and praise because this is not a racially issue. But, I see my peers who have graduated in the same program and are employed and advancing. YOU can not advance in pay or position while in a COE status. Your top pay in COE is $9 an hour and if you are hired your years do not carry from your COE hire date. You will have to start all over! That really sucks. If you are single and this is your only income, this does not pay the bills. I would think about coming in as a COE for this company or any organization. Part-time or Full-time would be you if available. Hopefully, I will let you know what it takes to be a full-time employee here. Pray for me.

Advice to Management

Training the COE student worker in every aspect of the department so that they could meet the qualifications in your organization. Going to college is still not giving the student the training in the real world. Going to university only teaches an individual to be culturally accepted and diligent. ABF is a reputable name in good standard. Students who leave here should leave knowing that they have great work ethics to go anywhere.

This place is the Bomb!!!

Current Employee - Road Driver in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Road Driver in Dayton, OH

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have been driving a truck for about 17 years and came from living in a truck for three to four weeks at a time. Scott Linkous in Dayton Ohio hired me and I am very delighted. Scott LInkous and the majority of the dispatchers in Dayton Ohio and other terminals are patient and helpful. Sometimes you will run into a grouch, although their job can be stressful as they work 12 hour shifts. I feel most of them have been patient with me as I've made my own mistakes transitioning in this learning curve from a long haul truck driver to an LTL road driver. When it comes to driving jobs this place is gold. I have driven for many trucking companies and none of them can come close to comparing working here. If I stay out overnight I stay in a hotel and get a shower everyday. I've made more money in eight months working here at the bottom of the pay scale then a full year of any other trucking company I've worked for. The benefits are excellent. if the driver does sorry store awake, ABF pays on a weekly basis and additional $700 a week into your Health & Welfare Fund which is the pension and health insurance. The driver only pays $52 a month in union dues for that. On the average I generally go to one hotel and then return back to Dayton Ohio. Sometimes I've stayed in hotels up to 3 times before returning back to Dayton Ohio and then go home. although, that is nothing compared to living in a truck for almost a month at a time. All management I've talked to are excellent to work with and it is nice seeing some of the same faces of the other road drivers from time to time. ABS does not hire young kids fresh out of college at low wages who do not know what they are talking about as is the case with some freight transportation companies. These dispatchers are experienced in this industry. The dispatchers really know their job and take good care of us. I never want to leave here. I hope to be here until I retire. There are so many perks when it comes to pay compared to the majority of trucking companies. We get around 11 paid holidays where it is 8 hours pay for each day and if you work on that holiday you get an additional 4 hours pay. Believe it or not, our birthdays are a paid holiday. We get 5 paid sick days a year and I think something for personal days. Any extensive (12 hours) delay time in the hotels are paid hourly and we get paid to drop and hook and string sets and takes sets apart. Delay time waiting at the terminals for you are freight to be ready is also hourly pay. If you are thinking of applying to a bf for a road driver position, I would seriously consider making the jump. if you are interested in applying, go to ABF jobs.com.

Cons

Sometimes I feel like I do not get enough sleep because sometimes I am called at the hotel 8 hours from the time I check into the terminal. It takes some time to get to the hotel and get to sleep. I wish they would call us in ten hours because sometimes it can take 1 to 2 hours to wind down and get to sleep.

Advice to Management

keep up the great work guys.

7. Truly a great place to work

Current Employee - Driver in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Driver in Allentown, PA

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits/You are never asked to do something beyond reason/Most management listen and are understanding

Cons

Driving in bad weather and house deliveries

8. They suck

Current Employee - Driver in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Driver in Rochester, NY

I have been working at ABF Freight

Pros

Good pay and benefits.pensions going broke so no worry anymore

Cons

I see why they drive.do not waste it time with this co.just a bunch of a holes all around.

Advice to Management

Grow some balls and stop being afraid to defend someone being bullies or harassed

9. Good company.

I have been working at ABF Freight

Pros

Good stable company to work for

Cons

Difficult work rules make it hard to compete in market

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

10. Good Company to work for

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay and just as good benefits!

Cons

Lack of communication between departments. Seems like each department only worries about their own numbers and not other departments.

Advice to Management

Better communication between departments

11. Pretty okay work place but I was fired for theft when i wasn't even working.

I worked at ABF Freight

Pros

good work place, good training

Cons

Was fired under unprobable cause