ABHS Reviews

Updated March 4, 2015
6 reviews filtered by
2.9
CEO

1. Good place to gain experience if you need it.

I have been working at ABHS

Pros

Family atmosphere. Good place to gain work experience/clinical hours. Great place to work if you like helping the less fortunate.

Cons

Extremely low wages. No job security. Upper management very unethical. The place is run by snakes. Policies change every other day. Extremely high turnover rate due to problems with management and incompetent leadership. Many managers not that smart and don't know much about industry standards but they like to sound smart and pretend to work hard.

Management care nothing for the people. Raise wages and people won't quit in droves. Listen to the concerns of regular workers.

2. Terrible place to work, don't do it! I will be leaving!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I have been working at ABHS

Pros

Will gain wide range of experiences.

Cons

Pay is terrible! HR not very organized and terrible communication (takes forever to hear back about issues with pay). Money hungry, false promises, poor organization and efficiency. Just doubled productivity requirements with little compensation and not taking into consideration quality of care, very factory mind set. Constant company changes.

Company does not really consider employee needs. Would love if someone will see what it what it takes to provide good services and not make so many reasons to un-bill when put on a hourly productivity requirement. 2% raise meant nothing when the load just doubled so the company could get money back. Please consider when increasing load on a stressful job and making it difficult to take time off when we well deserve it. Taking care of employees will provide better services and less turnovers and going through hiring and training processes that can be money saved.

3. I learned a lot at this job and had overall a good experience, but the terrible pay, high turnover rates, and disorganized upper management led to poor morale by most workers.

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Provider in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Provider in Athens, GA

I have been working at ABHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great coworkers, was able to get all my clinical supervision hours and continuing education hours included in my weekly hours, had opportunities to move around the agency and get experience with a wide variety of populations (mental health, substance abuse, high functioning, low functioning, outpatient, inpatient, community based, etc)

Cons

Poor pay, high turnover throughout the agency, almost no opportunities to move up in the agency, never give raises (1st raise in 5 years was 2% and the next week they came in asking for us to give a portion of our check back to agency for charitable giving-- so, I basically gave my raise back), generally stressful (but in fairness, most jobs in this field are)

There was a recent transition of most master level workers from contract to salary which was very confusing and disorganized. People (including me) were quoted a range of salaries which turned out to be untrue, resulting in a lot of angry workers - and there wasn't anyone who could clearly or quickly resolve the confusion. This transition was very poorly managed. When I left there was 12 open positions for social workers/counselors- so my feelings about this were obviously not isolated. Besides this- people need raises, room to advance in their careers-- otherwise it will continue to be a place where social workers/counselors come to work straight out of school and will always leave after they complete their licensure requirements for employment that pays better.

5. Alright life learning experience.

I have been working at ABHS

Pros

Help people learn new things.

Cons

Low pay for the responsibility

6. A good starting point

Former Employee - Social Service Technician in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Social Service Technician in Athens, GA

I worked at ABHS

Pros

As a mental health clinic that contracts with the state I was able to see firsthand a wide variety of mental health issues at their worst. This position is great to expose you to many different cases and a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Although the benefits package was good the compensation was low. Overall Morale of employees and often management was low. There was a constant lack of funds and threat of not passing audits and loosing compensation for work completed. ABHS also treated some of the most difficult cases, at times even police would give up working with certain clients and left us to deal with it.

A more cohesive flow between management and employees would help to keep employees feeling involved and appreciated. The turnover rates are very high and may be aided by shifting focus to be more employee centered.

7. AHS is OK

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at ABHS

Pros

Everyone is really friendly. The people are great to work with. There are usually non-work related "fun" activities planned.

Cons

The pay is horrible. They know this, yet they refuse to give the higher salaries I know they can afford. They only pay monthly. Turnover is really high so it makes your job harder because there are always new people in need of training.

Just pay more and stop glamorizing job titles. You would have less turnover.