ABI

Add Photos

Alan B. Isacson

Initiative is everything.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey are currently in the process of retooling and revamping their process & procedures, especially in the wake of opening up their global offices. This means no one has time to baby sit you and walk you through everything. You can honestly scrape by and chill until deadlines arrive, because management is always busy/ too busy to make sure you're getting your work done.

But if you go out of your way to plow through tasks and ask for more, people will QUICKLY take notice. It's a place where you can punch through your title's ceiling and really get hands on with upper management's projects. They'll let you push as hard as you can.

Also the MD & CEO have an open door policy and are open to lunches with junior members. Take advantage!!!!

ConsThis isn't really the place for someone who is wet behind the ears or shy. If you don't come off as ambitious or hardworking, they'll accordingly stick you on mundane tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore social events planned would be nice. It takes time to feel comfortable with people in the agency because it is more consulting oriented/formal.

Poor pay, management does not reward results.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood colleagues. With the exception of the old guard (aka employees who've been there more than 4 years), ABI has a solid, dependable and friendly staff.

Lean a ton about the PR world in a short time.

ConsManagement prefers employees to be "trainable" rather than rewarding their stars, thus creating an average to sub-par working environment for those who excel. Best writers/pitchers don't get promoted, regardless ff you are a smart, driven professional with a true entrepreneurial spirit.. If these qualities fit you, look elsewhere.

Sr. account managers are, for the most part, not up to the task of leading a team. It's about a 50/50 split between those who recognize the facets of rewarding hard work. This is more prevalent on the larger accounts (there are exceptions to this).

Severely long work hours. The client teams are understaffed and overworked. Some (not all) managers delegate work and leave promptly at 5 p.m. every day while their subordinates complete the assigned deliverables. This yields a decreased motivation level on part of the junior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your rockstars! Find a way to keep them on-board or you will continue to suffer from mediocrity.

Break the cycle of promoting ill-equipped managers from within. Look outward for talent worthy of truly motivating and leading.

Since the workload is quite large, help out the junior staff. Most accounts require a massive amount of writing and pitching -- so help out every once and a while. At most agencies, senior management has no problem contributing to media relations/writing.

Stuck in the Dark Ages

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood autonomy and not much micromanaging

ConsThe work is dull, the focus is far too much on the way PR was practiced 10-20 years ago and does not reflect the changing nature of the business. Instead of being forward thinking and promoting new ideas, the agency and its leadership is wedded to the "safe" approach where they refuse to go anywhere outside of their comfort zone. While media relations is the name of the game at this shop, they don't even try to utilize new ways to get media mentions. Also, the structure is very political and their is no vision for the company - the second in command to the CEO was replaced twice in the 1.5 years I worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace new ideas and your company may have a chance. You can only live off of cheap 22 year old labor that you quickly promote to keep onboard forever

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The R&D is very active.

Staff Scientist (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsI enjoyed the facility and working conditions at ABI. I could obtain almost anything that was needed for my research.

ConsPeople are not very friendly. Some managers tended to take other people's credits. If you were not good at kissing the ass of your manager, it would be hard for you to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair to everybody.

A decent place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very friendly place to work, most employees are outgoing and many are friends/hang out outside of work. The office is okay, honestly a bit too big for the number of people working there. Lots of good lunch places nearby.

ConsPay is not great, and the work can be a little but dull unless you are extremely excited by chemical compounds and magazines like Coatings.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp your salaries in order to attract better people, and plan more social events so that employees feel more comfortable at the office.

Good work/life balance, little else

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsRelative autonomy and the freedom to push through initiatives when appropriate.

ConsGiven the B2B structure of the firm, it becomes difficult to work creatively witihin the framework of the company. In this environment placements and media relations mean everything, while the countless other skills a PR practicioner must pocess become less important - if important at all. Also, the small size of the company makes for very hands-on governance of accounts from the VP and ownership level. Finally, ownership based few staffing positions on skill or talent; staff layoff is directly correlated to the win or loss of business - a sustainable model but not one that nurtures loyalty or morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture of the agency is fundamentally flawed. It would be difficult for this endemic challenge to be overcome anytime soon.

Small, flexible agency

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmall agency, very hands on. Opportunity to forge your own role if you work hard.

ConsNon-consumer products, small clients mean not a lot of visibility and a lot of explaining when you go to your next job interview. Smaller clients mean less job stability and smaller campaigns.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback, focus on clients on hand.

build my confidence

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mathura, Uttar Pradesh (India)

Prosgain knowledge of my work.how to manage office, staff. work in hard situations,stress,competitive market. and much more

Conssome times our understanding nt match so we have problems to solve hard situations.

Advice to Senior Managementbelieve ur staff and encourage them to get success. bcoz we get success when we gathered.

It was a learnng experience.

ProsGuarenteed 8hrs a day. Benefits. Take entry level. The people i work with.

ConsDon't feel appreciated. Given more and more to do and see nothing in return.

Great experience

ProsVery nice, laid-back atmosphere, very supportive, lots of opportunity to shine.

ConsWork can be a bit dull.

Worked for ABI? Contribute to the Community!