ABM Industries

ABM Industries President, CEO, and Director Henrik C. Slipsager

Henrik C. Slipsager

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bait and switch

Utility Engineer (Former Employee)

Pros*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
    *At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
    *Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
    *False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
    *Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

Totally depressing at this point because they have no respect for the union contract, including health & dental.

Security Officer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's a job. They have at least one interesting contract. I'm looking for another job. Management are thugs and criminals.

ConsApparently the payroll employees don't read the union contract. On the job training is zero. Communication is dysfunction-junction. I need to leave the company, for my health.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and get a whole new management team who is law abiding. The company is corrupt from top to bottom.

ABM: It's about THEM.

Chief Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThey are the 800 pound gorilla in facilities maintenance. They have many, many locations and types of facilites available to workers. Their safety and training are above average.

ConsThey're at war with union employees. They have a very cavalier attitude towards contract compliance and exact retribution against employees who contest contract violations. It is not uncommon for ABM managers to harrass employees who greive contract violations, to slander employees at arbitration hearings. Fortunately, they leave themselves open to discovery, as their tactics are not well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest. Be fair. Pay your bills, including back wages owed to employees. Don't improve your bottom line by withholding benefit payments that you are obligated to pay by contract agreements.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ABM Industries

Finance (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt brought me into something that I do not have any experience before. Also, I like the people that I am working with especially that i get to work directly with the VP, Managers and the Sr. staff. They have taught lots of great things.

ConsTechnology wise, it is not a company that is willing to spend big money. So far we are using Citrix and Lotus Notes as our email system and they can be very slow and hard to deal with. I know lots of employees are spending lots of extra time to figure out how to use them and by calling the IT department to report the problems.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for ABM Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ABM Industries reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ABM Industries CEO Henrik C. Slipsager. All reviews posted anonymously by ABM Industries employees.