www.abm.com

Updated July 11, 2014
2.9

ABM Industries President, CEO, and Director Henrik C. Slipsager
Henrik C. Slipsager

Pros
  • Flexible hours , with time off paid holidays and vacation but this could be limited with the business demand (in 3 reviews)

• And most of the non-management people are good people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • most of upper management could care less about employees, and in a service industry, that is not the right approach (in 6 reviews)

• Extremely poor work/life balance for most management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, good people. Union led employees, good managers.

Former Employee - Parking Attendant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Parking Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for a college student, easy to talk to people from different backgrounds as your interacting with them during transactions. Management is in control, always looks to make as much revenue as possible to help company grow.

Cons

Company kind of stuck in the dark ages, not much room for promotion due to union contract, aging work force, technologically lacking compared to other companies.

Bait and switch

Former Employee - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
    *At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
    *Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons

*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
    *False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
    *Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Please better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

Totally depressing at this point because they have no respect for the union contract, including health & dental.

Current Employee - Security Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ABM Industries

Pros

It's a job. They have at least one interesting contract. I'm looking for another job. Management are thugs and criminals.

Cons

Apparently the payroll employees don't read the union contract. On the job training is zero. Communication is dysfunction-junction. I need to leave the company, for my health.

Clean house and get a whole new management team who is law abiding. The company is corrupt from top to bottom.

ABM: It's about THEM.

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries

Pros

They are the 800 pound gorilla in facilities maintenance. They have many, many locations and types of facilites available to workers. Their safety and training are above average.

Cons

They're at war with union employees. They have a very cavalier attitude towards contract compliance and exact retribution against employees who contest contract violations. It is not uncommon for ABM managers to harrass employees who greive contract violations, to slander employees at arbitration hearings. Fortunately, they leave themselves open to discovery, as their tactics are not well thought out.

Be honest. Be fair. Pay your bills, including back wages owed to employees. Don't improve your bottom line by withholding benefit payments that you are obligated to pay by contract agreements.

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ABM Industries

Pros

It brought me into something that I do not have any experience before. Also, I like the people that I am working with especially that i get to work directly with the VP, Managers and the Sr. staff. They have taught lots of great things.

Cons

Technology wise, it is not a company that is willing to spend big money. So far we are using Citrix and Lotus Notes as our email system and they can be very slow and hard to deal with. I know lots of employees are spending lots of extra time to figure out how to use them and by calling the IT department to report the problems.

n/a