ABQ Health Partners Reviews

1. Good orientation

Current Employee - CNP
    Current Employee - CNP

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

Have begun the orientation process. It was intentional and position specific and it was welcoming while trying to communicate the welcoming culture of the organization

Cons

Starting salary was remarkably low. I am hoping that as time goes by, this can be renegotiated.

Degrading

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is ok. I love some of my coworkers. I'm not sure how ABQ health got so lucky hiring and staffing with some of the talent they have, they must love patients and love what they do to put up with everything else.

Cons

ABQ supports a clear line between their "providers" who are MDs, and their "mid-levels" which are NOT providers. Their doctors are flat salaried, but "mid-levels" are paid based on production. It insentivies the MDs to do very little, while the "mid-levels" do all the work. The MDs also review the charts of the mid-levels for QA, but as a lowly mid-level, I have found some serious negligent, and aggregious errors made by the MDs. The expectations are really high as well, they want you to see as many as 4 patients an hour, patient satisfaction ratings are huge, and don't forget to clock out for your 30min lunch (I've never had 30 minutes to sit and eat). To help the providers (MDs) see more patients they've created scribes, but how do you pay scribes in a financially struggling business? Fire all the RN's, which they did about a month ago. Some of these nurses had been employed with ABQ for decades, but they get a call from HR (a total stranger) saying you're being laid off, only they did it in a way they couldn't claim unemployment. It's like you're no longer needed in your position but we can put you in an area you've never worked or float pool without guaranteed hours, basically screwing them. They call everyone "Teammates" but it's not a team. There's a clear line separating us and them and it becomes more defined daily. One hire level manager actually said when one of the providers expressed concern about letting the RNs go, "the initials behind your name don't really make a difference." So there's no difference between RN's and MA's? Response, "no, it doesn't make a difference". It does in places like UC, ER, FP, and cardiology where an understanding in triage, acuity, and assessment skills are huge. But with that thought process of initials not mattering I'm surprised by the huge difference in the way they treat, pay, and interact with the MDs versus Advanced Practice Providers. I mean if the initials don't really matter right? If you enjoy being degraded, and pushed to see more, bill more, and do more with less by all means this is your wet dream of a job.

Dedicated Employees but Irresponsible I.T. Management

I worked at ABQ Health Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is from a perspective of working in the I.T. department *Sharp coworkers *Opportunity to learn new technologies *Has backing of billion dollar parent company - Davita *Excellent Medical Informaticist

Cons

*I.T. upper management avoids responsibility of mistakes or missed deadlines, will inappropriately fault own employees *I.T. upper management will lie if forced to account for a bad decision *I.T. upper management is unethical when dealing with staffing agencies, will make back room deals with prospective employees to avoid giving staffing agencies they're proper commission *I get the idea employees are used and spent without concern, very high turn over rate *Benefits are not competitive *Significant raises are rare and seem to be only given under duress

Advice to Management

address problems with upper management - unethical and a large part of such high turn over

5. unethical

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

why on earth do the doctors push lash growing pharma.? Doctors/Health practitioners should not use medical visits for their platforms about cosmetic drugs.

Cons

Awful place lack of ethics.

Advice to Management

Question the relationship between doctors and pharmaceutical industry

6. Do not work here

Former Employee - Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ABQ Health Partners (More than 8 years)

Pros

Staff is nice - any one middle management and below

Cons

To many to list. No pay, no appreciation to staff, expects salaried employees to work 50-60 hours per week, upper management lies to everyone, salary is substandard and too low to make a living, no loyalty to staff even the superstars who have been there for years, only sends some people to leadership trainings the same managers over and over again. People are afraid to say anything about unrealistic expectations put on them. Everyone fears job loss.

Advice to Management

Send others to out of town celebrations, appreciate your staff, pay your staff. You have some good values but don't follow them. Think about the patients for once. Recognize more tha. Just the lead from one department. There are other leads.

Prospective employees beware

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners full-time

Pros

- There are many dedicated physicians and medical providers in the organization that care about providing quality care to patients. - Albuquerque is a great place to live.

Cons

- The company is in transition probably to a primary care only group is my hunch. As an insider, I am concerned whether the company will survive through the end of 2015. - Since ABQHP was bought by HealthCare Partners in 2012, the executive management actions have been slow to non-existent and often counter productive to the business. - The benefits (salary, time off, 401k) are far below the industry standard.

Advice to Management

Get off of Mount Olympus and mingle with the commoners.

Too many secrets...

I worked at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

A few good colleagues; salary OK

Cons

Too many self-appointed bosses; non-management salaried staff expected / required to work min 50 hours a week; docked salary for anything less than 8 hour / day. Too many "secrets" when providers / employees leave. Decision making on the fly.

Advice to Management

More transparency in decision making and changes; apply same HR rules to managers as to staff. Town hall meetings don't count as Open Communication.

Working for abusive manager.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ABQ Health Partners full-time

Pros

Colleagues are some of the best I have worked with in this town.

Cons

Get abuse and if you don't like it leave. Open gender discrimination in the administrative side of the business.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees they are and asset too you know.

10. Good local people, bad corporate overloards

Current Employee - Physician in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Physician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-supportive clinical management (CMD) -talented colleagues, some of the best I've worked with in my career. I'm proud to work with them. -easy referrals. comparatively fast, and if it's important I can pick the phone and speak to anyone. Very collegial, easygoing environment among peers.

Cons

#1 complaint by a landslide- the ridiculous required bimonthly provider meetings. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Just send me a power point, I'll buy my own dinner, thanks. We all resent the hell out of these meetings. Just a FYI, every single one of us is on our iPhone/iPad, no one is listening to you anyway. -overwhelming workload, pushed to double book pts. limited to 15 min appts unless we fill out applications in triplicate explaining why individuals require extra time (roll eyes) -corporation clearly values profit over patient outcome, and they aren't even embarrassed about it. -strong MD bias, no respect for PAs and NPs while they carry the brunt of the work load -lots of scut work and are not fairly compensated for it (and I am a MD making this observation). -no appreciation for loyal MAs/PCCs. Mostly used and abused and advised there are plenty more where they came from, "deal with it or be gone." It's very sad. I pay my MA additional cash under the table because I'm ashamed of the way she is treated by the company.

Advice to Management

-Share the wealth; we MD owners are taking too much off the top. There is an unequal distribution of bonus dollars. We all took embarrassingly large bonuses last year, while our staff struggle to put food on their tables and gas in their tanks. -We need to pay all of our employees better. Even UNM pays better than we do for pity sake. -We need to reinvest; I've been visiting other clinics and was shocked at how shabby a few of them look. -The punitive approach from non-clinical admin side has to stop. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. We providers have to stop allowing admin to treat our staff like chattel.

11. In transition

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

Concern for the patient throughout the organization

Cons

Transition to corporate ownership is creating a very stressful environment

RSS Feed </> Embed