ABQ Health Partners

Updated August 9, 2014
Updated August 9, 2014
1.9

Harry Magnes

Good local people, bad corporate overloards

Current Employee - Physician in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-supportive clinical management (CMD)
    -talented colleagues, some of the best I've worked with in my career. I'm proud to work with them.
    -easy referrals. comparatively fast, and if it's important I can pick the phone and speak to anyone. Very collegial, easygoing environment among peers.

Cons

#1 complaint by a landslide- the ridiculous required bimonthly provider meetings. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Just send me a power point, I'll buy my own dinner, thanks. We all resent the hell out of these meetings. Just a FYI, every single one of us is on our iPhone/iPad, no one is listening to you anyway.

-overwhelming workload, pushed to double book pts. limited to 15 min appts unless we fill out applications in triplicate explaining why individuals require extra time (roll eyes)
    -corporation clearly values profit over patient outcome, and they aren't even embarrassed about it.
    -strong MD bias, no respect for PAs and NPs while they carry the brunt of the work load -lots of scut work and are not fairly compensated for it (and I am a MD making this observation).
    -no appreciation for loyal MAs/PCCs. Mostly used and abused and advised there are plenty more where they came from, "deal with it or be gone." It's very sad. I pay my MA additional cash under the table because I'm ashamed of the way she is treated by the company.

-Share the wealth; we MD owners are taking too much off the top. There is an unequal distribution of bonus dollars. We all took embarrassingly large bonuses last year, while our staff struggle to put food on their tables and gas in their tanks.
    -We need to pay all of our employees better. Even UNM pays better than we do for pity sake.
    -We need to reinvest; I've been visiting other clinics and was shocked at how shabby a few of them look.
    -The punitive approach from non-clinical admin side has to stop. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. We providers have to stop allowing admin to treat our staff like chattel.

Working for abusive manager.

I worked at ABQ Health Partners full-time

Pros

Colleagues are some of the best I have worked with in this town.

Cons

Get abuse and if you don't like it leave. Open gender discrimination in the administrative side of the business.

Learn to treat your employees they are and asset too you know.

In transition

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

Concern for the patient throughout the organization

Cons

Transition to corporate ownership is creating a very stressful environment

Lead Management position in Diagnostic Imaging held by Administrative Assistant Really?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ABQ Health Partners (more than 8 years)

Pros

There used to be many. We had the best and the brightest. There are good benefits with average compensation.

Cons

Employees have been experiencing constant change and loss of patients due to poor senior management decisions. Now again in process of change, employees hope things will look up. Good patient service doesn't seem to be recognized and instead employees with poor work performance and/or multiple patient complaints remain in their positions while many seasoned, experienced, employees lose their position. The Clinic Radiology department seems to be run on something similar to "the good old boy system" as long as you are popular with supervisors you're
    in.

Please take a close look at how the Radiology clinics are being run. Why would employees with
    5 years of patient complaints be allowed to remain in their position? Why would employees with poor work performance and attendance records be continually coddled by management. The present system rewards "favorites" and discriminates against employees that work hard to do the right thing.
    Management should help to stomp out rumors and gossip instead of spreading them from place to place. Employee on corrective actions and personal information should not be discussed with other employees by supervisors. There is a real lack of professionalism and ethic, but no one wants to speak up or they may lose their jobs.

Wouldn't recommend

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great midlevels to work with and supportive

Cons

Poor management, poor communication with providers and management
    No physician support

Recent acquisition of this group holds promise for success

Former Employee - Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ABQ Health Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well rounded, large, multi-specialty group that's soundly established in the community
    Forward-thinking regarding need to provide comprehensive patient-centered care
    Many provides have forged loyalty by their patients - soon to be tested in light of recent "divorce" from long-standing partner, Lovelace Health Plan.
    Recent focus on improving patient satisfaction (in the last 3 years)
    With recent acquisition by California group, better positioned financially to survive. Large sum payouts to physician-owners as result of sale viewed as very satisfying.

Cons

Provider satsfaction surveys (prior to sale) have reflected decreasing scores.
    Many managers do not feel appreciated nor valued by local executives - best to keep head down and avoid making waves. This kind of risk aversion hinders innovation and promotes complacency.
    High turnover has hindered reputation as a stable employer.
    Organization weak in development and training of existing staff - ok with buying talent vs. developing talent in-house.

Local exectives should keep patients' welfare at the forefront of decision-making, keep their egos in check, and be open to welcoming divergent opinions, establishing an environment which makes it safe to push back.

This company has great potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Just merged with a new company

Cons

No consistency
    No training for new employees

Management could use more experience, customer and employee training and knowledge in certain departments

Not very good

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

Large multi-specialty group. Nice Location.

Cons

Very Very poorly managed. No respect from the leadership for Physicians.
    Physicians are generally unhappy working here

Work on your people skills.

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Pathologist's Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Pathologist's Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

Mid level employees are treated with a lot of respect by physician staffs. Free meals, free on site parking. Very flexible schedule. Direct supervisors (Pathologists) are very knowledgeable, helpful and very pleasant to work with. Lots of opportunities for CME's.

Cons

The Department of Pathology contract with an outside histo lab. Work ethics and performances from that lab are very poor. Salaries at ABQ for PA are very low. No recognition for job well done. No tuition reimbursement. Insurance is not good enough for a physician group. poor working conditions

Be more involved in the relationship between SED and the Department of Pathology.

NO opportunities for growth // only Physicians , since owned by the Doctors changes are only made to assist them.

Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Data Coordinator in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at ABQ Health Partners

Pros

People//
    Friendly Suporvisors//
    Will work with you when time needed off//

Cons

Supervisors feel and show their power (not all)
    Location
    Pay
    Redundant Work
    No way to grow within company
    Depends on who you know in order to succeed.
    Benefits are horrible, more cost effective to just get your own medical insurance from somewhere else.

PAY for additional training and allow for the people who have been here for years to feel save (JOB SECURITY).. With additional knowledge not only can they help the company more but also have the ability to grow.