ABS Group Reviews

Updated October 11, 2014
2.5

David Weinstein
1 Rating

Decent place to work, horrible location

Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I worked at ABS Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Reasonable workload with realistic deadlines, good medical benefits (but very very costly) and decent time off. Some very good people to work with in almost every department.

Cons

Located in a horrible, crime-ridden area of Houston (Greenspoint). Medical benefits are extremely expensive, office environment is quiet, grey and depressing. Not a lot of mobility and no defined organizational structure with a clear path for employees.

Consider moving your offices, it's part of the reason I left.

Minimal Risk, Minimal Reward

I worked at ABS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will meet and network with many talented coworkers as they pass through the organization.
    Great entry level opportunities.

Cons

Below industry pay, below industry raises, no visible career paths or training. You will be stuck in whatever job you were hired for with almost no chance of advancement. Get in your 1-3 years of experience then move on to higher paying corporations that actually promote from within.

Actual career paths are needed. This includes real mentoring programs, job shadowing, PAID training, not just test reimbursement.

An old proverb states that "a fish rots from the head". The same can be said of organizations.

I worked at ABS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will almost certainly never get fired. The standards are so low that you needn't worry about your behavior. anything goes. If you want a job for life, thisis your dream company.

Cons

Do you like getting yelled at? Do you enjoy tedium? Do you aspire to be mediocre? I didn't think so. If you're a go getter and have high aspirations, run, don't walk away from this company.

Is it possible to fire yourself and bring in competent 21st century leadership team?

Work There For 49 Days or Less and Get A Bad Credit rating and Rental History

Former Employee - Principal Structural Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Structural Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at ABS Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work is very low stress but nonexistent. They will allow you to attend classes to expand your knowledge. That's all I can say.

Cons

You will get to experience being Milton from the movie Office Space in real life.

Nothing is set up for you on the first day such as the company computer or expense accounts. They never reinmburse you for relocation expenses like they claim. The boss will yell at you for bringing in your own laptop to do work. The boss yells at you for not having any work to do even though he never assigns you any. Expect to have a ruined rental history and bad credit rating thanks to ABS. Company makes you pay for all your medical insurance.

The interviews take place outside the office because they do not want to sppok the person they are replacing. They post ads for positions that don't exist. They will lie to your face about having work. They are great at wasting people's time.

Keep your promises and compensate people for the expenses you claim to. Hire managers that know how to hire people. Make sure your comapny is actually organized.

Boring But Pays Well

Current Employee - Risk Analyst
    Current Employee - Risk Analyst

I have been working at ABS Group

Pros

ABS Group pays very well...the work atmosphere is very laid-back and professional. Everyone is extremely nice and very polite. The work we do regarding risk assessment in public sector is very important for national security.

Cons

The work we do is rather boring (at least to me) and doesn't require a lot of intelligence. A lot of people have advanced degrees in fields like engineering, but spend their time making PowerPoint slides. I get the sense that we are paid well because senior management is very astute politically, not because we are capable of worthwhile technical work. I suppose that we deal with bureaucracies, and our goal is not to be smart, but to please the client...so in that sense, the company's approach to its operations makes perfect sense.

Hire more technical people who do software engineering...we would win more contracts that way.

Be prepared for dissapointment.

Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services in Houston, TX

I worked at ABS Group

Pros

They have decent pay and good benefits. They are a respected company in the industry. There was always something interesting going on for each holiday and the HR staff seemed to be good at organizing that kind of thing. Most upper management was knowlegeable, if not "caring".

Cons

Management is unsupportive, incommunicative, and combative at times. Work/home balance is almost impossible because of these issues. Possibly was the department head, but these concerns were never addressed by anyone in HR or senior management.

Be more supportive of the "little guy".

good experience and reasonable learning

Current Employee - Mechanical Inspector in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Mechanical Inspector in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at ABS Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

get the most out of Aramco working procedure and learn their entire standards

Cons

finance motivation is low

Inspection & testing of Plant piping, Cross country pipeline, construction of tanks and off shore jackets installation

I have been working at ABS Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good consultant and inspection company

Cons

Nothing faced during this turn ore

there is no respect to employees

I have been working at ABS Group

Pros

Don't be fooled

there is no benefits of working at ABS Group

Cons

There is no respect to employees

Good.

I worked at ABS Group

Pros

- Flexible time.
    - Good management and co-workers' supports.

Cons

- No basic or vital benefit package given to the full-time employee.

Basic benefits must be there otherwise it's a great company.