www.austincc.edu

Updated November 13, 2014
3.9

Steve Kinslow

I have been working at ACC

Pros

I greatly enjoy working at ACC.

Cons

Some of the bureaucracy can be tiresome.

Many things make this a frustrating place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Robust health, retirement and professional development benefits.

Cons

There are so many employees who do nothing all day in order to protect their job and ultimately their benefits. Those who are "do-ers" have to pick up the slack.

Management: Four actions would make ACC an infinitely more effective organization (and would increase employee morale).
    1. The management / administration team is made up of the following personality type: "big talkers" but not "big do-ers." So the "big talkers" make the underlings do all the work (and/or work does not get done because some of the big talkers do not want to take the time to do the work).
    2. Change the culture so that people are not so defensive about keeping their retirement benefits. In other words, if people were held accountable for their work, then those who are "do-ers" by nature would have higher morale. ACC is filled with people who are only trying to make it to retirement and are not doing any work in the meantime. That needs to change. Hold people accountable.
    3. Stop denying that so many employees are doing personal work on company time. Yes, it is great that ACC encourages employees that work for higher degrees - but you KNOW that they are doing that work on company time. And you KNOW that employees who are getting extra pay for teaching classes are having that time eat into their salaried time - thus doing less salaried work than they are paid for. This means that other employees pick up the slack.
    4. The HR department has been known to flaunt rules - for example, HR staff will talk with unauthorized staff members about an employee health status, or details of their FMLA status. This is a sad fact.

Love teaching, Hate how classes are assigned

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor

I have been working at ACC part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great school, multiple campuses, class sizes are reasonable, the campuses I have worked on are nice and well equipped, good communication between staff and faculty

Cons

Classes are assigned on a lottery system---there are no benefits for being a good teacher other than being in the first round of the lottery rather than the second. As an adjunct professor, there really isn't an option to "move up the ladder"---it doesn't really help with getting a job full-time (and with benefits)

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good facilities, great students, good management

Cons

Like most jobs in education, low pay

I feel a little indifferent.

Current Employee - Student Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Student Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid holidays
    Good benefits
    No evenings or weekends (for the most part).

Cons

The pay doesn't reflect the job responsibilities. I am a returning employee, and my compensation offer was substantially lower than the salary I left making. Different job title, very related skills. From what I understand, there have been budget cuts and what took 5 years to get salary wise, now takes 10. That's a bit discouraging because some employees go above and beyond to help students, and deserve a pay that reflects their effort.

If you're concerned about retention and longevity to new employees, offer a decent compensation in the beginning that makes employees excited about the job!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Evening Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Evening Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is hard to hired on as a permanent employee

Cons

High turn over rate because of the rate of pay!! People move on to brighter and better employment. Half of the staff is hourly employee with no benefits.

Be open to new ideas and overlook adversity. increase wages, the requirement for the positions does not match the pay. The Professors and Managers receive the better pay.

ACC is Good

I have been working at ACC

Pros

State Benifits are a plus

Cons

Pay will stay the same

Good

Former Employee - Medical Operations in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Medical Operations in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at ACC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company - great compensation

Cons

Extremely disorganized. Stressful. Tough working environments.

Hire better people.

A great place to work if you work it to your advantage!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at ACC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits to include Winter and Spring Breaks. Flexibility, supports gaining additional degrees while working. Great people.

Cons

Too many exceptions to the rules. Whoever yells the loudest gets it. The top is scared to make decisions until its too late which causes decisions to be made by default. College needs automation of forms. There isn't any upward mobility; flat organization.

Create a process for providing promotions. Offer 4 day work weeks in the summer time.

It was great, I would go back if I still lived in Austin.

Former Employee - Admissions Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Assistant in Austin, TX

I worked at ACC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was pretty good for the job and full benefits were nice. Great group of people to work with. Paid holidays - when the college is closed you don't work so you'll get a nice break for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Schedule never really changed it was a normal M-F/8-5. Tuition wavers were very nice 3 free classes a year.

Cons

Just needs a little upgrading still using paper documents that should be converted to electronic format or at least given the option to do either - lots of paperwork.