ACCO Brands Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Boris Elisman

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance and flexibility (in 7 reviews)

• Some good people, decent pay and benefits, the new building is very nice, a great set of product lines to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance with the workload that results (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management not engaged or willing to understand the business (in 3 reviews)

1. Work Environment

Current Employee - ACCO Brand in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - ACCO Brand in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel that there is working environment learning , experience as will as professionals good

Cons

Happy with the ACCO Brands and KPIT also

2. Reasonable

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kettering, OH

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

Depending on the manager, the work life balance is very good. Strong brands that have legacy and good recognition. Very good benefits and a generally positive working environment in the corporate offices.

Cons

Working in a declining category. Frequent reorganizations - often for the better but sometimes they cut out critical functions and create structural holes in processes. Unless you are in Product marketing the career path is non-existent. Be prepared to do the same thing forever.

Advice to Management

Find ways to cross train employees and in the end you will have a stronger workforce that is more cooperative, less vulnerable to attrition, and more adept at executing organizational changes.

3. Best Career Decision You Can Make!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Booneville, MS

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Company Culture, Coworkers, Our Customers, On site gym and clinic, FSA, Support from Leadership. I have worked in several different niches during my life but I have to say that this is my first job in "Corporate America". It is the best career choice I have made to date. ACCO truly cares about the welfare of their employees and excells at providing a healthy work/life balance. This is not a company that has someone constantly over your shoulder micro managing every move. They excell at providing excellent training, and ensuring you have all the tools available to succeed in your career goals. In addition, the company culture and leadership team plays a key role in creating positivity in a true "do what's right for the customer" environment. As a result, I have grown both professionally and personally. It's great to go to work everyday with a smile on your face ready to do great things. All my peers are a wealth of knowledge and always willing to guide when faced with something new and difficult. The company is very good at providing the perfect balance between empowering your self sufficiency to make important decisions on your own and directly guiding you to a resolution. Consumer office products may be a declining market; nevertheless, ACCO has a team of employees, managers, and executive leadership around the globe dedicated to innovation and staying current with the market. That, along with a loyal customer base, a great sales team, and world class customer service ACCO Brands will continue to grow global brand awareness, customer satisfaction, and new product lines. This is not a complete list of all the pros as there are many. I recommend this company to anyone seeking more than just a "job", but for a rewarding career.

Cons

There really are not any cons to my job. If I had to pick something it would be the communication during major company changes. Some changes during recent restructuring have not been fully communicated to all employees leaving some to wonder what's going on and where we are headed. It's in a great direction though!

Advice to Management

Executive management could do a bit better at communicating upcoming major changes with more emphasis on how that will effect current employee duties and responsibilities through management; but they are very good at this when they do. All of my direct and indirect managers at my location are some of the best, with top notch leadership skills that keep company current with market trends. They are some of the best in the workforce in regards to streamlining processes, training, customer satisfaction, and ensuring all employees have the tools necessary to succeed in their current role with confidence.

5. downeard spiral in progress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NY

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT people! Great pay and benefits, work/life balance, very flexible with time off requests.

Cons

I began working for the company under MeadWestvaco and it was fantastic. A few months after my start date the ACCO merger brought massive restructuring, layoffs and policy changes. The cull started with long time employees and continued until the vast majority of positions on the admin side were eliminated or relocated leaving the facility as primarily as a manufacturing site.

Advice to Management

The dated goods segment of the business is a race to the bottom but rather than embrace that reality and focus on innovation they are caught in a downward spiral. They are also very management heavy.

6. Management in the Web Marketing dept is horrible!!!

I have been working at ACCO Brands

Pros

Work and life balance is the only good thing---------

Cons

Sr. Web Manager disrespects his employees and customers in front of staff. A qualified manager underneath this unprofessional Sr. Manager was replaced with someone who is not qualified. This manager cuts down other managers in the presence of his employees using derogatory terms, plays both sides, doesn't listen, forgets points, lashes out, doesn't have the relevant experience to manage a diverse group, thinks his way is the only way, and throws his staff under the bus instead of talking about issues and addressing them. The department has degraded from a grade A to a grade F.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified, experienced managers with top notch people skills, instead of self centrics, for they can make or break your organization.

7. Account Analyst

Former Employee - Account Analyst in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Account Analyst in Dayton, OH

I worked at ACCO Brands (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are decent Work schedules can be flexible

Cons

Too many lay-offs The culture has a negative vibe these days

Advice to Management

Customers are suffering and dis-satisfied with the level of service, experience, and professionalism. Massive lay-offs forced valuable employees with decades of experience out the door.....not a good move! It certainly has changed the way businesses view Acco now, and I don't mean in a good way.

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in Beavercreek, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing in Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at ACCO Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation policy is good. Pay is on par with the market.

Cons

Too many VPs. Too many re-orgs.

Advice to Management

Stop the re-orgs. Let people learn their jobs and become experts in their line of work.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits package.

Cons

Company needs to look at new innovative products in order to stay competitive in the industry.

Advice to Management

Too many senior level executives. Increase the number of front line employees to ensure work is being done in a timely manner.

10. WHERE are they going?!?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at ACCO Brands (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people who are very sharp.

Cons

Some selfish, stubborn people who are the ones getting the promotions into positions of increasing power.

Advice to Management

Do. Not. Rush.

AVOID INSIDE SALES Department

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Easy Job right out of college -Young employees in this department -Occasional free lunches -Benefits

Cons

-Dying Industry -Work you like a slave -Call Center Atmposphere -Poor Management -Micro-managed -Turnover is high -Every call you make, every word you type, ever bowel movement you make will be monitored -Don't bother building relationships with customers, as your base will be ripped apart in 6 months and your accounts will be redistributed. -Team leads are never available when you need assistance. You are often left out to dry -The finance department expects 5% overall growth and is willing to compensate $55k maximum per Inside Sales Rep. If you have a successful year expect to be moved in a new territory that does not perform well. They can not afford to have reps continuously hitting QUOTA. They will do everything in there power to make sure you are not getting paid out. Bottom line: If you are actually interested in building a career in sales, don't expect to gain anything but a few years on your resume here

Advice to Management

Trust employees and stop micro-managing them. Stop treating employees as number and value them for the work they do.

RSS Feed </> Embed