ACCO Brands Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Boris Elisman

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance and flexibility (in 7 reviews)

• Some good people, decent pay and benefits, the new building is very nice, a great set of product lines to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance with the workload that results (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management not engaged or willing to understand the business (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Sales Executive

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had great direct leadership and coworkers. The compensation package was good and the division I worked in had great brand recognition.

Cons

They were downsizing the division so there was no stability when I was there. The outsourced most of their outside sales force to a second party company (in my division) and customer were satisfied with the service of this outside company.

Advice to Management

Don't mess with a good thing. I still receive calls from my former clients( almost three years after the layoff) because they don't feel like they can get help from ACCO or their partners.

Good place to start out and build your resume. Get out after a year.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to start out and gain experience. Good people and nice facilities. Lots of activities and games to try and motivate sales. I like money over prizes, however.

Cons

Little transparency. Do not get credit for sales until they ship, which could be spread out over several months making it difficult to hit quota. Will hire you on as a temp and tell you that they will take you on full-time after 90 days. Realistically you should expect no less than 7 months for this to happen. Commission rates keep changing and there is less opportunity to make good money than in previous years.

Advice to Management

Stop giving people the run-around. Tell your employees what to expect and when they should expect it. Incentivize with money rather than 5 dollar gift cards to places I live no where close to.

3. Work Environment

Current Employee - ACCO Brand in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - ACCO Brand in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel that there is working environment learning , experience as will as professionals good

Cons

Happy with the ACCO Brands and KPIT also

5. Stay away from Acco Brands

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Troy, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Troy, OH

I worked at ACCO Brands (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only pro is you don't have to pay to park and your close to eateries

Cons

poor management . . .managers do not hold their employees accountable for their behavior towards others and towards customers until it's too late.

Advice to Management

Take ownership for your mistakes and figure out how to make your team work TOGETHER vs against each other. The internal battles are ridiculous!!

Unhealthy Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- I have worked with a number of exceptional people - The building is very nice with good amenities - The hours are somewhat flexible

Cons

- Nothing is consistent and the strategies and structures are always changing - Numerous people will invest months into a project only to have it cut in the blink of an eye - ACCO has lost a number of valuable people because they gave them no incentive to stay - Good work is rarely rewarded and promotions are given to people with no credentials - Leadership lacks vision and defaults to cutting costs instead of pushing the company forward - The unstable environment has resulted in people looking out for their own interests instead of the general good of the team

Advice to Management

Invest in people and allow them to do their jobs. Every time we start to fall into a rhythm the company reorganizes or changes leadership or drops a project. Why would a talented individual stay in a situation like that? The more quality people leave, the faster ACCO snowballs downhill.

7. Reasonable

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Kettering, OH

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

Depending on the manager, the work life balance is very good. Strong brands that have legacy and good recognition. Very good benefits and a generally positive working environment in the corporate offices.

Cons

Working in a declining category. Frequent reorganizations - often for the better but sometimes they cut out critical functions and create structural holes in processes. Unless you are in Product marketing the career path is non-existent. Be prepared to do the same thing forever.

Advice to Management

Find ways to cross train employees and in the end you will have a stronger workforce that is more cooperative, less vulnerable to attrition, and more adept at executing organizational changes.

Basically a SlaveHouse

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Booneville, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Booneville, MS

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

Vacation time and Benefits are decent, most of the people are great people to work with.

Cons

Salary is mediocre at best. Annual increases are a joke at best, won't even cover insurance premium increases most of the time. Put in a pay scale but told people that it was highly likely that you would never top out. Too much overtime due to trying to put out their work with the bare minimum amount of workforce. Forcing people to do multiple jobs with no extra compensation. Far too much favoritism and encourages back-biting among the workers from lower- management which causes the environment to be very bad for the average worker.

Advice to Management

Cull lower management and start over. Be mindful of actually trying to make a schedule that works for most of your work-force instead of forcing constant overtime. Offer some kind of incentive for all the extra time invested.

It was great at first! But not so much now.

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Booneville, MS

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been a Company Driver for 9+ years in Booneville.

Cons

The last 5 have been been horrible. Seems to me if you haven't been there 20+ years or your not part time and buying things for dispatch you don't get much work. This place use to be held in high regards for a driving job. Now with all the middle management "realignment" it's insane. And dispatch that leaves at 3:30 or 4 in the afternoon. You cannot have a successful truck fleet without people that care about their job and do the job they're suppose to. Drivers answer to way to many people and no one communicates in the office with each other. Constantly restructuring pay and taking away more and more. A lot goes on in Booneville that is discriminatory at the least with the drivers.

Advice to Management

Stop with the revolving door of "management" pay attention to customer complaints. And get a handle on your dispatch before they run that part of the business into the ground.

10. Best Career Decision You Can Make!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Booneville, MS
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Booneville, MS

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Company Culture, Coworkers, Our Customers, On site gym and clinic, FSA, Support from Leadership. I have worked in several different niches during my life but I have to say that this is my first job in "Corporate America". It is the best career choice I have made to date. ACCO truly cares about the welfare of their employees and excells at providing a healthy work/life balance. This is not a company that has someone constantly over your shoulder micro managing every move. They excell at providing excellent training, and ensuring you have all the tools available to succeed in your career goals. In addition, the company culture and leadership team plays a key role in creating positivity in a true "do what's right for the customer" environment. As a result, I have grown both professionally and personally. It's great to go to work everyday with a smile on your face ready to do great things. All my peers are a wealth of knowledge and always willing to guide when faced with something new and difficult. The company is very good at providing the perfect balance between empowering your self sufficiency to make important decisions on your own and directly guiding you to a resolution. Consumer office products may be a declining market; nevertheless, ACCO has a team of employees, managers, and executive leadership around the globe dedicated to innovation and staying current with the market. That, along with a loyal customer base, a great sales team, and world class customer service ACCO Brands will continue to grow global brand awareness, customer satisfaction, and new product lines. This is not a complete list of all the pros as there are many. I recommend this company to anyone seeking more than just a "job", but for a rewarding career.

Cons

There really are not any cons to my job. If I had to pick something it would be the communication during major company changes. Some changes during recent restructuring have not been fully communicated to all employees leaving some to wonder what's going on and where we are headed. It's in a great direction though!

Advice to Management

Executive management could do a bit better at communicating upcoming major changes with more emphasis on how that will effect current employee duties and responsibilities through management; but they are very good at this when they do. All of my direct and indirect managers at my location are some of the best, with top notch leadership skills that keep company current with market trends. They are some of the best in the workforce in regards to streamlining processes, training, customer satisfaction, and ensuring all employees have the tools necessary to succeed in their current role with confidence.

downeard spiral in progress

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sidney, NY

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT people! Great pay and benefits, work/life balance, very flexible with time off requests.

Cons

I began working for the company under MeadWestvaco and it was fantastic. A few months after my start date the ACCO merger brought massive restructuring, layoffs and policy changes. The cull started with long time employees and continued until the vast majority of positions on the admin side were eliminated or relocated leaving the facility as primarily as a manufacturing site.

Advice to Management

The dated goods segment of the business is a race to the bottom but rather than embrace that reality and focus on innovation they are caught in a downward spiral. They are also very management heavy.

RSS Feed </> Embed