ACCO Brands Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
95 reviews filtered by
3.3
Boris Elisman

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance and flexibility (in 7 reviews)

• Some good people, decent pay and benefits, the new building is very nice, a great set of product lines to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult to maintain a good work/life balance with the workload that results (in 3 reviews)

• The economy has hit the office products industry hard (in 3 reviews)

1. ACCO Brands is taking the necessary steps in a changing market

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands

Pros

A great opportunity to effect change and for those who are self-starters and willing to participate, lead efforts to foster the cultural growth, develop and implement new and improved processes and contribute to a dynamic company that is an industry leader in consumer products and office and school products. Healthy work/home balance, diverse employee population and an overall friendly and congenial employee population. Compensation is equitable with average benefits consistent with the competition. 2014 was a strong year and the bottom line is improving with increased cost control and improved operating efficiency. Reorganizations over the past several years is starting to provide improved synergies, reduction in duplicity in roles and is starting to thin out what appears to be a top-heavy management structure. The positive of the reorganizations are new and energized employees, increased experience in some roles and the start of breaking down the silos prior mergers and acquisitions created.

Cons

While reorganizations have provided improvements in efficiency and reductions in duplicity, it has also created a gap in understanding of roles and responsibilities along with a larger population of new and less experienced employees. This is where the pro is strong for those willing to be engaged and to work to effect positive change. A more consistent work from home policy would be a move in the right direction along with clearer direction and guidance from the officers on roles and responsibilities and breaking down silos and a "we've always done it this way" culture that still exists. None of the cons should be a problem for someone with a positive attitude, a willingness to contribute and be an agent of change. That opportunity exists within ACCO Brands.

Continue the efforts to focus the business, make the business more efficient and make the smart decisions on addressing the changes in this industry. Break down the silos resulting from mergers and acquisitions. Improve communication on roles, responsibilities and that all are now "ACCO Brands". Brands such as Kensington, Mead, PFS, and so on are brands of the parent company. Cross-functional communication and interaction needs to be encouraged at a greater rate than it is now.

2. Good and Bad

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time

Pros

They do a good job of training you and making sure you are ready to sell. Pay and benefits are not bad for a sales job. Work environment is friendly and fun games are played during the week as an incentive to keep selling

Cons

They put you on inactive accounts for a long time. They tell you that you will be on inactive accounts for like a month but it took me over two month. The perks of the job come when you get your own account and your own territory. you dont make commission until you get your territory.

Let employees know how long they will be training on inactives. People need to know how long they will do something before they give up hope and quit, which is what ive a lot of in the last 6 months

3. Great internship experience.

Current Intern - Five Star Marketing in Kettering, OH
    Current Intern - Five Star Marketing in Kettering, OH

I have been working at ACCO Brands as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with various teams on various projects. Got a lot of different experiences.

Cons

The location isn't ideal, it's in Kettering, OH.

5. Team work

I worked at ACCO Brands

Pros

Department teams work extremely well together. Most employees are genuinely kind and caring which helps soften the hard work and long hours.

Cons

Upper Management is short sighted as to employee value and knowledge.

Get to know your employees...before you make hard stop decisions.

6. Pleasant to work at, but the company is in a tough, competitive, declining market.

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful new offices make is nice to come to work.

Cons

Old, outdated IT systems make the work harder

7. Great people and culture

I have been working at ACCO Brands

Pros

Culture, People, Location, products, teamwork, bonus

Cons

Management, work life balance, benefits, time-off policies

Value better work life balance

A complete joke! A hot mess!

Former Employee - SA I in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - SA I in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at ACCO Brands full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They actually provide training; although chaotic and trainer lacks experience

Cons

very unprofessional, chaotic. So you know a company is unprofessional when they misspell your name in the system (both on your badge and in sales force) and give you a broken computer! To make matters worse, they did not want to change the misspelled name, and said that it's my fault and that they can't fix it. I did not misspell my name! I was also behind on checking email because they gave me a computer that did not have email setup and I wasn't on the list. The trainer girl kept calling me by another name and looking me up and down, in a way that made me feel very uncomfortable. The other two trainees got much better treatment because they had "connections." Of course their computer worked and one of them got active accounts. The company pulled a bait and switch on me too; when I interviewed with John, I asked if I'll be dealing with inactive accounts and he said no. This was not true. Do not leave ur full time job for the hot mess!!! That's what I did and really regret it! Tedious work; time drags. Turnover through the roof!

Get an actual manager to train the new team. Make sure your new hires are set up for success; provide them with a working computer and make sure you say and spell their name correctly. Make sure they are added to an email list. Treat them equally and let people learn. The vibe I got was that everything here is done on the fly; very unprofessional.

9. ACCO Brands is a great company to work for and always looking to the future and committed to their employees success.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands

Pros

A comfortable working environment with a high performance culture and rewards employees hard work.

Cons

I cannot provide any cons.

Great management team. Very professional and are a wonderful resource of knowledge which benefits to your growth and success.

10. A place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The sales team is consistently growing which is always a plus. Management restructured the sales process which benefited us as sales reps. Throughout my 2 years of employment, I have been promoted 3 times and still see room for growth. Your hard work is definitely noticed here.

- Great pay, benefits and vacation
    - Professional and competitive environment
    - Tools provided to succeed in your book of business
    - Room for growth
    - Top of the line facility

I would recommend working for any of ACCO's departments if your currently in the market.

Cons

Some products will eventually develop less of a demand. However, ACCO has a solid product development team and is currently working on new products to expand their customer offerings.

You're moving in the right direction, keep it up.

Chaos! Been here 5 years

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at ACCO Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Modern work stations. Awesome benefit package.

Cons

AWFUL management! Managers are too worried about retaining their positions than doing the "right thing". Challenging environment as company is not very innovative in staying current with customers needs. Absolutely no privacy- in office-difficult to accomplish any confidential tasks- so you end up taking scads of work home. Revolving door. An "old time" employee is someone who has made it more than 3 years. Consequentially, there is a constant state of dealing with (and teaching ) every departments staff how to meet your specific needs. It is NOT a well oiled machine!

Get current with market needs. Diversify! Retain talent and grow from within.