ACE Group

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.3

Evan G. Greenberg

Company driven to see it's business and people succeed

Current Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very collaborative team, extensive support services. Internal growth/movement promoted.

Cons

Helpdesk is terrible. You'll file an urgent issue whi they will get back to you 3 weeks later. Benefits also seem a little pricey.

Please get rid of the current helpdesk. Keep supporting your business in the same way!

Underwriting Assistant

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at ACE Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training is great and one on one basis. Time off is usually granted with little push back, benefits and 401k are amazing.

Cons

Thankless position. Currently in a pooling. No first hand interactions with underwriting staff. Moving up is tough unless you know someone in the industry.

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Risk Consulting in Salem, VA
    Former Employee - Risk Consulting in Salem, VA

I worked at ACE Group as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with, they really value the employee. Big company benefits, with the feel of a smaller company. I really enjoyed my time at ACE and learned a lot.

Cons

Company can be unorganized at times. Take more time on the front end to develop ideas to prevent unnecessary rework on the back end.

Continue to invest time in developing the internship program.

I worked as an intern at ACE Group.

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ACE Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back company culture which eventually promoted better working standards. Everyone I met at this company was very friendly.

Cons

Though my job had a lot of potential, and I feel I could have learned a lot in my internship there, I eventually could not and this was highly disappointing. Also, I was asked during the interview if I could drive, I said I could, and later I found out I was expected to visit a different state every so often, though I was not told this beforehand.

Was there 15 years , last three were bad.

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriting in Chicago, IL

I worked at ACE Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, nice co-workers, good 401 program

Cons

turning into another aig. Numbers drive everything including class selection.

Don't be so greedy. Consider writing more classes rather than just stay with what you consider the most profitable. It better to have a wider moot of profitable customers than just a narrow column.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative global company. Uses a tool that allows for collaboration across all business units, and geographies. Very stable financially.

Cons

Local underwriting management does not trust employees enough. Almost all decisions go through one person and work gets bottlenecks, causing delays and loss of business.

Change local underwriting management.

A hamster wheel.

Current Employee - Nope in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Nope in Phila, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've made a handful of life long friends while working here. I genuinely enjoy what I do and helping people.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. A good ol' boys club. Everyone in a position of authority has worked with each other for at least 15-20 years, so they all protect each other. The general manager is arrogant, pompous and a megalomaniac. He's single-handedly driven some of the best and brightest employees away from this company. He berates employees in such a casual fashion as one might sip coffee and remark about the weather. He has also proven himself to be completely unethical when dealing with clients. Hourly employees bear the brunt of the workload while salaried employees, expected to work a minimum of 50hrs, barely put in 6 hours a day. Also, racist, homophobic, sexist comments are frequent and accepted as "boys being boys" here. And any complaints will be viewed as you being a trouble maker. I fully expect them to see this and figure out who I am, and am prepared for the petty, childish backlash.

Clean. House. Immediately.

Good

I have been working at ACE Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Got good exposure to IT during work

Cons

IT is given less priority.

Great company, if you are not in IT

I have been working at ACE Group full-time

Pros

Company is profitable. Ummm thats about it

Cons

I don't have enough room and time to describe what is wrong with the company. The IT organization is the worst of any company I'v ever worked at. There is not one person VP all the way to the CEO that has a clue of how to run an IT organization for a company. They just spend hundreds of thousands of dollars bringing in outside experts to help them. So much lost talent in IT where the upper mgt never listens. All the mgt just keeps bringing in their friends who are as incompetent as they are. And all the offshore contractors they use....thats for any other day.

Fire every VP up to the global CIO in IT. Bring in leaders who actually know something.

Talented Peer Group

Current Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The peers are without a doubt a superior group to work with. Smart, well-educated and experienced. The immediate supervision is excellent as well. The company has excellent standing within the insurance community as is very well regarded. If selected for fast track growth this is the place to be. Financially, ACE is rock solid. The office location and setting is superior and very comfortable.

Cons

Only a select few are promoted although most everyone is dedicated and works exceptionally hard. So it seems that there is an organization of select persons within the overall ACE organization that have a very different experience and compensation. There is virtually no turnover in this select group but very high turnover in the ranks beneath them. What is most frightening is that individuals don't see it coming when they are fired....so most of us share a distracting feeling of impending doom...that no matter how hard we work we are interchangeable cogs to be thrown out periodically. There is a general feeling of insecurity which is disheartening. It is very sad to put your all into an organization but feel that you are not valued in return. It doesn't have to be that way and can very easily be remedied. With that small but significant change ACE would be an outstanding place for a career - there is hope that the ACE model may change in time.

LOYALTY...a two way street ... It would take so little to encourage staff to go that extra mile - better and more truthful communication from senior management and just a small increase in compensation to be on par with the industry standard. Staff already goes that extra mile every day and could be easily energized to do more....but for now that does not seem to be the ACE model. Now, ACE looks to get by with less ...but always demand more....and if you don't like it ....leave...ACE can and will find someone else....another cog...