ACE Group Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
46 reviews filtered by

1. I worked as an intern at ACE Group.

Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ACE Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back company culture which eventually promoted better working standards. Everyone I met at this company was very friendly.

Cons

Though my job had a lot of potential, and I feel I could have learned a lot in my internship there, I eventually could not and this was highly disappointing. Also, I was asked during the interview if I could drive, I said I could, and later I found out I was expected to visit a different state every so often, though I was not told this beforehand.

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative global company. Uses a tool that allows for collaboration across all business units, and geographies. Very stable financially.

Cons

Local underwriting management does not trust employees enough. Almost all decisions go through one person and work gets bottlenecks, causing delays and loss of business.

Advice to Management

Change local underwriting management.

3. Was there 15 years , last three were bad.

Former Employee - Senior Underwriting in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriting in Chicago, IL

I worked at ACE Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, nice co-workers, good 401 program

Cons

turning into another aig. Numbers drive everything including class selection.

Advice to Management

Don't be so greedy. Consider writing more classes rather than just stay with what you consider the most profitable. It better to have a wider moot of profitable customers than just a narrow column.

5. Good

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ACE Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Got good exposure to IT during work

Cons

IT is given less priority.

A hamster wheel.

Current Employee - Nope in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Nope in Phila, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've made a handful of life long friends while working here. I genuinely enjoy what I do and helping people.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. A good ol' boys club. Everyone in a position of authority has worked with each other for at least 15-20 years, so they all protect each other. The general manager is arrogant, pompous and a megalomaniac. He's single-handedly driven some of the best and brightest employees away from this company. He berates employees in such a casual fashion as one might sip coffee and remark about the weather. He has also proven himself to be completely unethical when dealing with clients. Hourly employees bear the brunt of the workload while salaried employees, expected to work a minimum of 50hrs, barely put in 6 hours a day. Also, racist, homophobic, sexist comments are frequent and accepted as "boys being boys" here. And any complaints will be viewed as you being a trouble maker. I fully expect them to see this and figure out who I am, and am prepared for the petty, childish backlash.

Advice to Management

Clean. House. Immediately.

Talented Peer Group

Current Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The peers are without a doubt a superior group to work with. Smart, well-educated and experienced. The immediate supervision is excellent as well. The company has excellent standing within the insurance community as is very well regarded. If selected for fast track growth this is the place to be. Financially, ACE is rock solid. The office location and setting is superior and very comfortable.

Cons

Only a select few are promoted although most everyone is dedicated and works exceptionally hard. So it seems that there is an organization of select persons within the overall ACE organization that have a very different experience and compensation. There is virtually no turnover in this select group but very high turnover in the ranks beneath them. What is most frightening is that individuals don't see it coming when they are fired....so most of us share a distracting feeling of impending doom...that no matter how hard we work we are interchangeable cogs to be thrown out periodically. There is a general feeling of insecurity which is disheartening. It is very sad to put your all into an organization but feel that you are not valued in return. It doesn't have to be that way and can very easily be remedied. With that small but significant change ACE would be an outstanding place for a career - there is hope that the ACE model may change in time.

Advice to Management

LOYALTY...a two way street ... It would take so little to encourage staff to go that extra mile - better and more truthful communication from senior management and just a small increase in compensation to be on par with the industry standard. Staff already goes that extra mile every day and could be easily energized to do more....but for now that does not seem to be the ACE model. Now, ACE looks to get by with less ...but always demand more....and if you don't like it ....leave...ACE can and will find someone else....another cog...

8. Great place to learn P&C Insurance; many helpful individuals and people that truly understand insurance.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at ACE Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many talented individuals who are willing to help you learn if you seek them out. Company experience will vary based on the division you are interested in.

Cons

Salary is below the average for comparable analysts. Some areas lend themselves better to further career development than other areas of the company.

9. Great company, if you are not in IT

I have been working at ACE Group full-time

Pros

Company is profitable. Ummm thats about it

Cons

I don't have enough room and time to describe what is wrong with the company. The IT organization is the worst of any company I'v ever worked at. There is not one person VP all the way to the CEO that has a clue of how to run an IT organization for a company. They just spend hundreds of thousands of dollars bringing in outside experts to help them. So much lost talent in IT where the upper mgt never listens. All the mgt just keeps bringing in their friends who are as incompetent as they are. And all the offshore contractors they use....thats for any other day.

Advice to Management

Fire every VP up to the global CIO in IT. Bring in leaders who actually know something.

10. A mixed bag

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ACE Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is doing extremely well and management is thinking on its feet, generally, and anticipating the next move. Overall a smart company. CEO knows what he is talking about, and that's nice.

Cons

Cheap. Everything needs to be done on a shoestring, including hiring and compensating talent. Compensation is not great. Bonus targets are just that: targets. Very rare to meet someone who gets his/her target. Even when company keeps beating its financial targets, the rewards are not "sprinkled around". Very demanding schedules, sometimes unreasonably so. A little "stuck" in underwriting thinking, which stifles other ways of growing profitably.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting successful insurance technicians (mostly underwriters) to general management positions: many are not cut out for the additional responsibilities. For top management: if that's even possible, acquire some true polish and genuine bedside manners - you can fake it to the outside world but employees know better and resent it to the point that it makes them quit!

11. Great atmosphere, tons of learning opportunities and personal growth

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at ACE Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere of the office is great, everyone there is wonderful and willing to help. Lots of resources, learning opportunities and great flexibility. Good management in place to make work effective, and have competent people in place.

Cons

Busy time is busy time, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel and they work hard to even the workload and make it manageable.