ACH Food Companies

Updated Dec 29, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard Rankin

Above average place to work.

I have been working at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery competitive salary and benefits. Working conditions excellent. Communication from upper management is frequent and open. Management tries hard to be employee friendly. Individual opinion is valued and initiative is rewarded. In general, this is a decent place to work.

ConsPoor career advancement opportunities. Promotion from within at the manager through VP level is very infrequent. Management initiatives are frequently short-lived flavors of the day. Relatively stressful day to day focus on sales and profits...but where is that different?

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on delivering big picture priorities. Eliminate the background clutter of time wasting, non-productive initiatives.

Best Move I Made

I have been working at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is small enough to stand out and see results. It's large enough to provide a good wage and benefits. Senior management does listen.

ConsOccasionally, management gets stuck in a rut and needs to move out of the status quo.

Old school organization values technology purchases over tech savvy thinkers.

Manager, IT (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN

I worked at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbove average compensation.
Solid work life balance.
A good corporate citizen, contributing to and engaging with local charities to improve quality of life in the community.

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement.
Little value on new ideas or approaches.
Management looks at technology as nothing more than a 'keep the lights on' portion of the organization.
Pointing out dissatisfaction within a portion of the organization results in silencing rather than attempts to address the dissatisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your mind and look too people with new and different ideas about how to get the most out of your workforce. Offer opportunity for growth and reward those who sieze those opportunities.

If you enjoy being bullied, manipulated, and thrown under the buss ACH is your place to work

Oakbrook Ter, IL

I worked at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNon management employees friendly, open, honest and caring. Great salary, bonus and benefit packages. Employees are not micro-managed and allowed to set their own pace.

ConsManagement is dishonest, manipulative and couldn't inspire rain to fall. No training provided at all. Employees are set up to fail. Sink or swim and you really have to play the good ole boy game if you want to survive. It's a dog eat dog environment. Come in with thick skin and expect to take the fall for your direct supervisor and manger.

Advice to Senior ManagementMan up, stop throwing direct reports under the buss. Stop bullying, screaming at, and humiliating your employees - Practice what you "Preach".

Great mid-sized company

Chicago, IL

I worked at ACH Food Companies

ProsStrong benefit package, bonus. Decent salary. The marketing team is smart, and filled with people from larger CPGs who are tired of the dog & pony that often comes with being at a typical CPG.
There are days where you will work hard, but overall good work/life balance.
It's a quirky litte company, but fun.
Company is trying to raise the bar on talent at the company, which is great. Often hard to get talented people at smaller companies like ACH.

ConsNo upward mobility within marketing. Noticed that most of the marketers from the outside who are content land in brand manager roles, and are generally happy staying there. However, ambitious associate brand managers often get frustrated with the lack of opportunity for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate opportunities for advancement
Keep striving for world-class talent

Supervisor - Sales

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary and bonus - non management employees are smart dedicated and very friendly.

ConsDirectors are dishonest, manipulative, cold and uncaring. They couldn't inspire rain to fall and tend to deflect blame for poor business results on direct reports vs poor goal setting/or strategic planning. Bulling and scare tactics used regularly to motivate improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the boys in the corner offices when you decide to do your next "cost effective" cut backs. You just may get more bang for your buck.

Ok, competitive

Trade Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at ACH Food Companies full-time

ProsPay, hours, location, bonus, 401k

ConsCompetitive, cold, unfriendly, unloyal, selfish

Good company

I worked at ACH Food Companies full-time

ProsLots of really great people - good at what they do, professional, friendly.

ConsDepending on functional area - some cultural issues...

Brand Manager

Brand Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany gives you the opportunity to have autonomy and do what you believe is best for your business. Because the company hasn't been a long for very long, you have the opportunity to come in and really shine, because it hasn't all been done already.

ConsUnlike major CPG companies, there aren't as many opportunities for advancement. However, those people that deliver great accomplishments do get noticed and can have a lot of fun in the process.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to celebrate successes. People need to hear that their work is valued and appreciated from time to time.

Not a place to call home

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at ACH Food Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunity to learn the core business but only for one brand
Generous bonus and vacation policy

ConsDisfunctional leadership from mid-level to CEO
55+ hours week, no work /personal life balance
No one is happy, no employee interaction on a day-to-day basis

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand and address employee satisfaction
Loss of business means cutting costs from the top down
Shuffling employees around is not the answer. The majority of mid-management needs to go.

Worked for ACH Food Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ACH Food Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ACH Food Companies CEO Richard Rankin. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by ACH Food Companies employees.