ACI Worldwide

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

ACI Worldwide President, CEO, and Director Phil Heasley
Phil Heasley

Pros
  • They allow you to work from home when you are not required to be in the office for a meeting etc (in 12 reviews)

• The benefits are competitive and there is a good work/life balance at the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Tight (very absurd ) deadlines leading to bad work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• No core values, short term profits is all that counts for senior management (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Average organizatiaon

Current Employee - Product Management in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Product Management in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ACI Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.
    Fantastic benefits.
    Flexible work schedule.
    Global company - get to learn about other cultures.

Cons

Although the benefits are great, and the salaries are competitive, the annual salary increase historically did not cover the increase in the cost of benefits.

Way too much work for one person; in the last 2 years, my work load has doubled each year. Reorg at least 1 time per year which usually results in layoffs.

Global company so conference calls start early (before 6 a.m.) and can run till 10 or 11 p.m.

Consider the impact of a corporate reorg on the resources that remain. Workload continues to increase, with no end in sight.

New to company

Current Employee - Operations in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at ACI Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Info is available and most people are quite willing to help new hires. Everyone is friendly enough and forthcoming with info. Haven't run into office politics yet.

Cons

The onslaught of items to be completed leaves a bad taste, and i see some bureaucracy in play which will hinder processes.

Remove some of the stages of approval. Items needed for production systems shouldn't take weeks to simply APPROVE. i.e. SSL certs for servers currently in use,

Review as an employee

I worked at ACI Worldwide

Pros

Over all a good company to start with. Good work environment and good start through for the freshers

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at this time.

Once was a great employer, but is now more content to be a mediocre employer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ACI Worldwide full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice benefits, above average vacation accrual, flexible hours, a few fun events.
    Great people to work with, the employees care, are very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Middle managers treat employees as best as they are allowed to.
    There is always plenty of work available.

Cons

Senior management has very little trust by the employee base.
    They are more focused on themselves and their compensation than on what's good for the company.
    There is lots of management, but very little leadership.
    They care more about the stock price than they do about the employees, customers, and products.
    They are so focused on the short term numbers that they ignore the long term health of the company.
    Rather than admit to glaring mistakes in their decisions, they prefer to gloss it over and pretend it was all part of their genius plan, but they really don't fool anyone.
    Lots of smoke and mirrors, but it doesn't seem the management understands how to run a healthy software solution development organization.

If you can't figure out how to lead people and gain their trust through actually caring about them and showing that you value them, then consider moving on so someone can run this company that cares more about its long term success than any short term benefit they might derive from it.
    Move headquarters and managers back to where the employees are, rather than distancing yourselves from the people you are supposed to be leading.
    Admit to your mistakes and move on. When you try to cover them up, it just makes you look like you are too full of yourself to be honest with us.
    Listen to your reports and work as a team with them. The bully pulpit shuts the door on better decisions.
    If you take care of your employees, your employees will be able to produce better products and provide excellent support to your customers, your customers will want to do more business with you and the numbers will be better long term, and the right investors will recognize that and the real value of that company will take care of the stock price.
    You can't have strong employee engagement and regular layoffs at the same time. I suggest you pick the former, but don't expect to have both.

Working vs Not Working

Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Norcross, GA

I worked at ACI Worldwide

Pros

At one point there was not an overt influence from political in-fighting. Immediate management did not micro-engage.

Cons

ACI's upper management proves itself not only to be out-of-touch with the actual work done by and importance of its employees outside of the golden parachute group, they also have a nearly inhumane means by which to let them go. Heartless.

Watch the movie "Up in the Air."

Root Cause Analysis Culture

I have been working at ACI Worldwide

Pros

Flexible schedule, telecommuting opportunities, hardworking employees.

Cons

Root Cause Analysis Culture. Management is always looking for the one to blame. Does not foster teamwork but a culture of defensive BYB employees afraid to do the right thing. Employees are constantly expected to work nights, weekends and holidays to complete projects.

Support employees and stop looking for someone to blame.

Good long-term experience, but has been variable over the years

Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at ACI Worldwide

Pros

Flexible work situation, not a required 9 - 5 schedule. Support of work from home and telecommuting. Clear path on future direction of the company communicated to all employees. Great education benefits.

Cons

Lot of interaction with international offices requires some schedule shifts by one group or the other to allow overlap for direct contact. U.S. based team members must be available early while those in Europe or India must work late.

Consider forming work groups geographically rather than requiring those with 8 or more hours of time difference to work on the same projects. Too many delays waiting on people to get to the office.

Flexible relaxed corporate culture

I have been working at ACI Worldwide

Pros

The work life balance is great, employee empowerment is prevelant. The facility is top notch with a gym and rec games available at your leisure.

Cons

Location of business can create long commutes for the larger part of omaha with it being located in far west omaha.

Gave too much of my time to this company only to be tossed out quickly after being promoted

I worked at ACI Worldwide full-time

Pros

Learned a lot working here, company took their management of software development projects through a complete transformation while I was here. The amount of change implemented while I was here was truly extraordinary.

Cons

People aren't valued. One year I was top of the heap - promoted - praised for valiant efforts. 9 months later I was apparently in the way... suddenly I had several leaders 'released' on me in an obvious ploy to build a case to manage me out. You must be willing to sacrifice your personal life to be successful here. Leaving was the best decision I could have made.

CEO sees himself as the "smartest man in the room" and is not open to any other point of view

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at ACI Worldwide full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great talented employees who work very hard and care deeply about the company.

Cons

CEO and most SVP's who are "yes men" to Phil.

Since the executive leadership IS the problem, my advice would be to the Board of Directors. You have a CEO who believes his opinion is the only one that matters. As long as he's in charge, talented people will leave.

ACI Worldwide Photos