ACL Services Reviews

3.5
Laurie Schultz

High Demands, Low Resources, and a Sr. Mgmt Boys Club

I worked at ACL Services

Pros

- Vancouver is a nice place to live - Depending on where your career is focused it’s a good place to START your career. Add some technology to your resume - Easy path to success, suck up to the Sr. Management Team, never question or disagree with the President – even if you have more experience and knowledge, and demonstrate enthusiasm by writing positive reviews for Glassdoor so that company can replace all the people fired and who have left.

Cons

- A SOFTWARE company building software who has no experience using and very few employees with the experience to really understand how to apply the technology – even the consultants have no experience outside of ACL leveraging the technology in the real world - Virtually NO support or investment in employees learning or growth – demands placed on them leaves no time for development. I LOST skills at ACL and really didn’t gain anything new. - Customers are promised an easy technology to use with some training and support from ACL’s services teams – however most customers learn that the investment to learn how to use the technology is extensive beyond the software. The software is NOT easily learned and most customers eventually end up with shelf ware. - The new GRC software – subscription based – is the focus of the organization – is a new flashy product that is intended to generate revenue that the old Data Analytics software has been unable to do. - The organization is in constant flux with a tremendous amount of turnover to the point that departures are no longer announced - no one knows who’s left or leaving. - KEY knowledgeable people are leaving/have left – the organization is full of new people who have been hired as part of the Sr. Management ‘boys’ club. The female President only seems to hire males – of course HR is represented by a woman. Middle management is very similar. - The President yells “authenticity” yet there are very few people in the organization that have true respect for her or her team. They pretend to include staff in decisions but it’s a distraction tactic, the decisions are already made – the discussions are to fake involving the employees - Middle Management spends almost all of their time managing upward, keeping the President happy to keep their jobs. This leave a huge gap in managing the people – who have little experience.

Advice to Management

Remember the employees make the organization succeed. Top down pressure with unreasonable expectations – ruling with a stick. Carrots work much better – and I don’t mean a quarterly meeting with booze and food. Provide career opportunities, invest in your people, you can’t help them grow if they are being pushed to full capacity, there is no time for further learning or growth.

ACL, The “Fox News” of Vancouver’s Tech Scene. Lots of bluster, little substance.and virtually no facts.

I have been working at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Given that the current CEO has failed in every major aspect of her mandate, particularly in terms of revenue growth, she'll probably be out the door soon...or at least should be after 4 years of abject failure.

Cons

ACL has become a company sorely deficient in effective leadership or direction. Given the revolving door nature of membership, Its current executive leadership team is almost entirely concerned with keeping their jobs by placating the CEO with whatever gutless behavior is required to meet the CEO’s misguided and self serving demands. (positive Glassdoor reviews are just one minor example). ACL leadership is now totally devoid of any semblance of trust or integrity. Given the massive turnover for the past 4 years, managers are focused entirely on self preservation and ensuring they don't end up on the "disposable" pile. It’s really a tragedy that so many people who have committed tirelessly to the success of ACL over the years have paid the price for leadership ineptitude. Apparently ACL was at one time a company that encouraged the continued development of a supportive, collaborative, team environment. That's no longer the case. It's now an environment of desperate, self serving, self promoting senior leadership and spineless, deceptive and untrustworthy management that has neither the skill nor the market knowledge to take this company anywhere even remotely close to what would be considered a successful outcome of the last 4 years of failure. Even more tragic are those of us left trying to do the right thing and being tarred with the same brush of incompetence meant for those driving this company into the ground. Another unfortunate decline of what was at one time a shining but little known light on the Vancouver tech scene.

Advice to Management

If you really want to understand what's gone wrong for the past 4 years, take a look in the mirror. It's not the scapegoats you've fired or the employees you're blaming today, it's your incompetence as leaders, as managers and as human beings.

Disappointed in lack of opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ACL Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great location, nice office space - Fantastic team and co-workers

Cons

- Lack of consideration for employee experience - Few opportunities to move up within organization - Didn't feel as though there was an open forum for ideas to be heard

Advice to Management

- Look for ways to listen to employees better - Allow opportunities to take action, encourage risk taking and promote from within

5. Good place

I have been working at ACL Services

Pros

a growing company culture is good

Cons

low salary adopting new tech all the time which brings many challenges

A great place to work with new technology

Current Employee - R&D Staff Member in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - R&D Staff Member in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services

Pros

1) A small and friendly work environment where smart people can learn lots of interesting new things. The R&D teams are using some of the latest web technology, and management encourages everybody to learn new things to make the software solutions even more powerful. There's never a feeling of "you can't do that", but rather there's a general vibe of "great idea, let's see how we can make that happen." 2) The "employee quality" bar has been raised in recent years, and management is working hard to make ACL an attractive place for smart people to work. Even in the last few months, I've seen people who have fallen below the bar be asked to move on to other places, making room for high-achievers to be on-boarded. This sure beats working in a company where poor quality team members (including managers) bring down the tone of the whole workplace. 3) The company is doing well financially, so I'm never worried about being part of a work-force reduction (as it often the case with larger companies). Management is happy to invest in their employees, with social events and plenty of training opportunities.

Cons

1) Unfortunately the word "audit" is usually associated with bad things (e.g. being audited by the tax department), making it less appealing for potential employees to consider working at ACL - at least compared to other companies that are doing more "trendy" things. However, behind there scenes there are plenty of trendy things happening at ACL, at least from a technical perspective. 2) There are clearly still a few people who are unhappy about working at ACL (at least that's what some recent Glassdoor reviews are suggesting). I don't know who these people are, but they must be somewhere.

Advice to Management

Continue the great job of listening to the individual contributors, and valuing what they have to say. There are some really smart people working at ACL, and their ideas and values are definitely worth listening to.

Lovin it

I have been working at ACL Services full-time

Pros

Pushing the edge in a pretty quiet category. Willing to take risks and not tolerate the status quo

Cons

Systems are tired, management scale is questionable. Needs to grow up as a compnay

Advice to Management

Don't stop trying to make something happen... No complacency

Human Resources

Current Employee - Vice President, Talent in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Vice President, Talent in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We welcome anyone to post their comments here about ACL – the good and the not so good. Communication is certainly a two-way street. In an ideal world, I always strive to create an environment where all staff feel comfortable enough to come and talk to their manager, HR or the leadership team very openly and candidly about their experience with ACL. After all, how can we address things that bug you if you don’t give us the opportunity to discuss with you. I am still relatively new to ACL. Upon arriving here, I can honestly say I was blown away (in a good way) about many aspects of this organization. The transparency and open communication is better than anything I have experienced. I feel it creates a culture of bravery, entrepreneurship and collaboration. The programs in place to recognize and reward our star performers are better than any company I have ever experienced. The success stories of career progression and development are great examples of how one can easily grow and flourish – with combined effort from the employees to seek out that success and to have ACL support them. Our turnover is low. We are currently at 13% including both voluntary and involuntary. Lower would be even better, but like all organizations, there will always be turnover. Sometimes life takes over and individuals decide to take new roads. We take our chances on some employees, hoping that they will rise to the occasion and unfortunately that does not always pan out. As we continue with our hyper growth, the business changes as well. Companies can outgrow people, roles change, our needs change, your needs change. That’s the reality of any organization. Any fast-growing tech company is going to experience some growing pains. Its normal. It’s how we all learn and get better. Sure we have some areas to improve on, but let’s not lose sight of the many many amazing successes here. We work with some of the top brands in the WORLD. Our revenues are growing in a healthy way, confirming a smart business strategy. We get to work with some of the BEST in the industry here at ACL, people helping to shape the future of the industry and our products. And we still like to take the time and have FUN. The number of company sponsored social events is again above average in my opinion.

Cons

As with any company, I am aware that it is highly unlikely (although still a goal!) that absolutely everyone on staff thinks that ACL is awesome on all levels. I get that. I get that it is usually the not-so-happy staff that are going to take the time to post their opinions and I would like to be open and honest and address some of the issues, as well as point out the many awesome things. Could we do better in cascading information down? You bet. In fact, based on feedback from our recent employee satisfaction survey, we have already taken steps to ensure that information from important meetings, business decisions, etc are formally cascaded down to all levels through our management team. We are developing formal communication channels and workshops to not only share the information, but to ask everyone at all levels how they see their roles contributing to our goals, our strategy. We’ve implemented tools such as Salesforce and Slack to share timely information across the board. We have started to record our all staff meetings so that our global offices can hear first-hand what is going on. We are making efforts to share as much information as possible, yet we ask that everyone take the initiative to search out the information if you don’t have it.

Advice to Management

Based on my experience, this is one amazing place and a great place to grow your career. I am thrilled to be a part of it.

Great career opportunities and amazing people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prior to working at ACL I had become frustrated from working dead end jobs that were run from the top down. ACL has been a breath of fresh air for my career and has helped me find passion in my work again. I originally took the job because I saw there was an opportunity to grow with the company and expand my experience. Having worked with great leadership and mentors at ACL I have significantly grown my career in the direction that interested me the most in a very short amount of time, while working with amazing people and modern technology (cloud/mobile). The company actively encourages employees to challenge the norm and take risks with permission to fail. This allows for amazing learning and career growth opportunities that you may have never even thought of. Not only are we encouraged to think outside the box, but we are often rewarded when we do. Many recognition benefits, from trips to Whistler to Canucks tickets and bonuses, plus the salary and benefits are very competitive. There is a great culture and awesome social events as well. From launch parties with food trucks and arcade game to foosball tournaments and Mario kart competitions, there is always something interesting going on that allows you to meet and interact with different people. I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with and coming to work everyday, what more could you really ask for.

Cons

Sometimes the company gets stuck trying to ‘boil the ocean’ and lacks focus on particular markets or market segments. Senior leadership is trying to address these issues (and have admitted to them), but it is harder said than done.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and adapt to the marketplace. We live in a time when technology and markets are constantly evolving and we want to make sure that we stay ahead of the curve.

"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions" - Ben Franklin

Former Employee - Someone Who Loves Building Software in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Someone Who Loves Building Software in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at ACL Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an objective oriented person who is able to figure out what needs to get done and does just that to achieve the goals then this is the place for you. There is a solid strategy, ambitious goals, huge investments in product and other functions and commitment from executive team and the board. All that is needed is people who get it and do it. The company is growing rapidly and expanding the markets it severs, there are tons of opportunity to grow in your career. If the opportunity is there to be part of this team, take it...

Cons

If you sit back and wait for someone to tell you what you should be doing, or that you constantly complain about things that other teams, individuals or managers aren’t doing, chances are you’re asked to take your destructive attitude to another organization. Meanwhile you’ll be thinking there is a lack of direction or strategy and that’s why you got fired. The company is growing rapidly and expanding the markets it severs, if you can’t keep up with the change, learn and contribute to the growth it’ll be a frustrating job for you. Don't change your current job...

Advice to Management

Don’t limit yourself to hiring from Vancouver only, there are plenty of more skillful people south of the border who value delivering results.

Engaging, challenging, and fun place to work.

Current Employee - R&D in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - R&D in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at ACL Services full-time

Pros

ACL has great co-workers, lots of in-house expertise and a well-established products with strong market position completed with fast-growing new Cloud technology. The development process is agile and streamlined, and co-workers get all the tools and support they need to excel at their job. ACL offers generous benefits and good work-life balance.

Cons

Rapidly expanding in a new market has it's share of growing pains in R&D as well as other departments. Also, while reduced in recent years, silos still exist.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cross-department collaboration, employee rotation, and free sharing of information.

RSS Feed </> Embed