ACLD Reviews

Aaron Liebowitz

My Experience

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional

I have been working at ACLD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible job, some good people to work with, training in AMAP, CPR/First Aid and SCIP-R.

Cons

you can get medication Errors, Some Managers do not have your back, the medical benefits are too expensive.

Management always should have their employees back and if something is going on the employees should give a heads up.

I left with excellent memories, yet extreme satisfaction with the culture of the agency.

Former Employee - Day Habilitation Specialist
    Former Employee - Day Habilitation Specialist

I worked at ACLD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with individuals with developmental disabilities is often incredibly rewarding and the connections and memories made are lifelong. Agency has excellent trainers, and is very flexible with time off. There are a wide variety of positions that would fit most schedules.

Cons

Employee morale is extremely low and continuously dropping. Pay is weak for the work that is done, and executives reap enormous salaries and take bonuses while denying employees yearly raises. Benefits have decreased in quality, and gone up in cost. Executive leadership is practically nonexistent and patronizing when present. Low quality employees stay for years and are eventually promoted, while high quality staff have high turnover rates. Breaks are nonexistent, and one is given an attitude when topic is brought up.

Lessen the disconnect between administration and site staff. Offer more pathways for staff to discuss issues with leadership above their supervisors.

Great Learning Experience at ACLD

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Oyster Bay, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Oyster Bay, NY

I worked at ACLD part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people, flexible hours, hands-on experience

Cons

compensation, travel, strict penalties for medication errors

My experience at aCLD is somewhat Okay, but it can be better

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at ACLD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits: profit sharing, 401K, tuition reimbursement, medical and dental benefits, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement, flexible shifts: morning, evenings, overnights, reimbursement of medical expenses, free training: CPR and defensive driving course

Cons

preferential treatment, favoritism, some employees do more work than others, others are allowed to shirk responsibilities and do less work while all have the same title and about the same pay rate, job responsibilities are not assigned equally, no raises in several years

none

I enjoy my work but I am going broke due to low salary and cost of living on LI.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethpage, NY

I have been working at ACLD

Pros

Working to improve the lives of handicapped children and adults has been a very emotionally rewarding experience. I enjoy the people with whom I work most closely and with the staff in general.

Cons

Salaries are low and have been stagnant for four years. The cost of health insurance, however, has gone up so, in effect, we are making less now than in 2007. New York State is broke also so they are cutting support for agencies such as ours.

Since the state is cutting back so much, it becomes necessary to develop outside sources of income such as fund raising, grants and fees for service where practical and permissible.

Feel-Good Job with Not-So-Good Pay/Opportunities/Management

Former Employee - Job Developer in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Job Developer in Melville, NY

I worked at ACLD

Pros

At the time, the position was flexible and allowed for one to set one's own schedule (I've heard more micromanagement has been introduced recently). Anyone who works in this sort of field does it for the feel-good nature of the work and the sense of purpose and accomplishment that comes with serving this population, and I would not say working for ACLD was somehow superior of an experience as working for any company that serves the population.

Cons

As is the nature with many non-profit organizations, ACLD is inefficient as an organization. Senior management have been there for years and are grandfathered in, which results in a group of people who generally lack innovative and fresh ideas for improving services and are very slow in hearing and incorporating ideas from employees. Because salaries are so low, people frequently refuse middle management positions - why take on more responsibilities for pennies more? Thus, much of middle management is filled with either idealistic people who "want to help" but don't really have the skills to do so efficiently OR with people who would not be able to obtain better paying work elsewhere. Related to low pay, there is very high turnover, especially in the most competent staff who look for better paying opportunities and get them.

I would HIGHLY suggest merit-based raises to encourage the best personnel to stick around (and decrease turnover) and give HR higher flexibility in salary ranges so that they can tempt more qualified personnel to accept management positions. I think employees often have great suggestions for improving services (since they are the ones out in the field with the consumers), and this should be taken advantage of through perhaps quarterly meetings with staff to garner suggestions and implement ideas.

Good entry level

I have been working at ACLD

Pros

Caring people. Fulfilling work. Flexible hours.

Cons

Hourly work. Some jobs don't uhave growth potential.

Change to salaried positions.