ACME Business Consulting

Add Photos

Kirk Cushing

Great co-workers, challenging projects

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosthe leadership team cares about their employee. The projects are challenging and you get to met really interesting people. The owners are reinvesting a lot of time and resources back in the company development.

ConsThe company is growing fast: roles and opportunities are still being defined.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your staff as you've sucessfully done so far

Smart & Fun Group!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsACME hires top talent from around the country. I love being a part of such an intelligent group who also knows how to enjoy life and have fun.

ConsHaven't encountered any cons yet!

Great People, Great Work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe leadership team is dedicated to hiring and retaining quality people. Everyone is very supportive but understand the importance of quality delivery. After several years, see the growth in maturity and planning.

ConsDifficult to establish and maintain long term relationships with clients given the small number of large firms in the Portland area

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed bag

Senior Project Leader (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe staff is very smart and talented, and have they have experiences way beyond the work they are given. ACME is very good at recruiting and hiring talent. Salary is pretty good for Portland, which is a poor job market for this skill set.

ConsThe reviews here were largely negative until April, and it appears that an internal company initiative to spruce up their score is under way. So take all these reviews with a grain of salt. Best thing to do - ask them to put you in touch with a few former employees. If they resist, be suspicious.

Internally ACME folks laugh about the "bait and switch" that takes place here. You are sold on the idea that this is a consulting firm, but you're really coming to be a project manager, at a very limited client base. Your buyers will not be C level or VP level employees, you'll be reporting to managers and directors who would likely be working for you if you were somewhere else.

The worst part is the fact that management generally looks down on the people doing delivery work. By convincing you to turn over your margins to them, they have moved beyond delivery work. You won't. You will not get a role selling work, even top level people stay fully billable, but are expected to still lead firm initiatives. When you decide to move on, you'll likely be shunned, which was the experience for several of their former top executives.

If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy experience, look elsewhere. Don't take anybody's word for it, go to LinkedIn, find some ex-employees, and simply ask them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a well known fact internally that management is too afraid to work on improving or changing much at all, for fear of endangering their Portland revenue, which drives all real decision making. Their arrogance really hinders their ability to move forward, or connect with their employees.

The kind of environment you dream of...

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI've always wanted to be in a room full of colleagues where i felt slightly intimidated...I found it. The intimidation comes from knowing that the level of knowledge and experience that is surrounding you will force you to bring your A game every day of every week.

I was extremely excited to learn that i would not be assigned to the industry from which i came. ACME took a chance and put me in an environment that i had never done any formal work in; and it has helped me grow both personally and professionally,

The benefits are among the best in the industry; it is truly amazing to see a company once again put value in training their employees and ensuring value added certifications are a priority.

ConsDepending on which client you are assigned to-the term consulting is subjective. I could argue very easily that at some clients we are simply augmenting staff, while others are truly engaged in a consulting manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is growing very fast-please don't lose sight of the fundamentals that make the company amazing.

Solid consulting firm, stellar people, fabulous potential

Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFocus on work/life balance
    Incredible, smart colleagues
    Strong leadership team
    Growth and expansion
    Fun culture
    Company seems to be trending positive across the board

ConsGrowth and expansion - scaling our business/processes continues to be a challenge
    Lack of overall performance management processes

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of employee retention while trying to acquiring new talent in order to scale our business

Great engagements, Whip-smart people, Fantastic culture

ProsHigh level consulting engagements, mission critical work, fantastic work/life balance & culture, incredibly smart people (super-humans), great shared values/principles, clear career-path/trajectory, rock-solid leadership/management team, high level of community involvement. Higher than average base + bonus targets with highly reachable utilization targets that allow for life balance. Super hip, custom-built Pearl District HQ, straight out of Dwell Magazine

ConsNothing to speak of at present.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth is incredibly rapid (PBJ's fastest growing company list for 7 consecutive years) - scaling process/procedures to match.

Exceptional place to work, rock solid team, supportive and progressive leadership, limitless opportunity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosfun
    likable, honest, and approachable owners - great role models, good listeners
    solid open minded leadership
    strong values
    exciting growth
    generous pay/benefits
    work/life balance
    diversity support
    excellent culture
    beautiful office space
    diverse opportunities - I have had 4 very different clients (never BPA or Nike) and worked on 8 very different projects

Consgeo expansion is a challenge and can feel like a distraction

Advice to Senior Managementnothing to share here as I there is nothing i wouldn't say directly to them.

Highly Interesting, Strategic Client Work + Creative, Intelligent People + Fun & Flexible Culture = Great Place to Work!

Pros- high integrity
    - fun, energetic, people (i.e. NOT just a bunch of ex-Big 5 consultants)
    - important, critical client work; willing to say "no" to projects that don't fit our core brand

Cons- internal decision making can be a little slow / too deliberate at times

Great opportunity at growing local business consulting firm. Perfect for someone looking to get off the consulting road.

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Great culture
    Unlimited PTO policy
    Dedication & hours available for community service projects
    Varied clients & project work

ConsGrowing fast so leadership can be spread thin
    Possible Geo\location expansion can be challenging & distracting

Worked for ACME Business Consulting? Contribute to the Community!