ACR Homes

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

James Nelson

Great company, awesome staff and residents.

I have been working at ACR Homes

Pros

Support, Residents, fun atmosphere, looks good on resume

Cons

Long house (16 hour doubles)

None

Great place to work

Current Employee - Program Counselor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Program Counselor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at ACR Homes

Pros

Staff is wonderful and I love my residents it feels like I'm part of another family. Staff genuinely cares about you and very helpful picking up shifts or trading if something comes up. Boss is not standing over your shoulder but always accessible and responds quickly. Lots of activities put on by the company and lots of drawings and prizes you can win for picking up hours. I once won $1,000 for a contest I don't even realise I entered lol seriously great perks

Cons

Hard work. I get a sore back when I am tired and don't pay attention to how I lift. Feels like a family so it's always fun but it gets monotonous doing the same chores and cares every day. If you get bored or your house becomes too difficult for you the management does a great job of showing you options within the company. I've switched to different houses and picked up extra shifts all over the company to change things up. Not very any cons at all!

Keep up the great work. I love how involve the founders are and how much they care.

Great care, subpar staff support.

Current Employee - Program Counselor in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Program Counselor in Roseville, MN

I have been working at ACR Homes part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ACR provides great care, and treats residents and their families with respect and dignity. The residents are wonderful, and the chance to develop relationships with them can be life changing.

Cons

Poor pay, and direct care staff seem to be "a dime a dozen" meaning they are easily replaced and not all that valued by upper management (this is not always true in individual homes).

Invest in your people, they do the real work. Offering just a little support to staff who do the hardest work (hint: they rarely visit the office after initial training) would improve resident care and increase your retention rate.

PROGRAM COUNSELOR

I worked at ACR Homes

Pros

Learning how to administer medications.

Cons

The culture. The company values their appearance to the public more than anything.

Amazing Transition Job

Current Employee - Program Counselor in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Program Counselor in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at ACR Homes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Amazing healthcare experience
    -Amazing residents/purposeful work
    -Stands by beliefs (some people say their conservative in their beliefs- they mean abortion, and yea it's a pro-life company, why wouldn't a company that works for disable people be?)
    -Pay is decent-good for a college student or someone between jobs
    -Work is laid back though every house is different

Cons

-If you're looking for a career it may not be the best as the pay and promotions are not amazing
    -You may not be placed at your ideal house right off the bat

Kick Off

Former Employee - Program Counselor in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Program Counselor in Roseville, MN

I worked at ACR Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is the job that inspired my career path.
    Being able to touch lives.
    A bunch of really amazing people that could make anything happen.

Cons

Low pay for sometimes very hard work, that we went out of our way to complete.
    Low level of maturity amongst employee's. Ego's couldn't handle the extra responsibility when promotion came, didn't handle responsibility of care in respectful manner at times.
    High turnover.
    Disconnect between caregivers, supervisor's, and their supervisor's

Bridge the gaps!

An EXCELLENT Workplace

Current Employee - Program Counselor
    Current Employee - Program Counselor

I have been working at ACR Homes part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, supportive community, tailored training, diverse care population

Cons

Overnight requirements, blocked scheduling (ex. 6a-2p OR 2p-10p), routine care plans

A good college job

Current Employee - Senior Program Counselor/Program Counselor in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Program Counselor/Program Counselor in Roseville, MN

I have been working at ACR Homes (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great job for someone in school or for someone who is looking for something flexible. You have the opportunity to exercise personal and organizational leadership and to use your personal strengths or improve on them. Lots of opportunities to grow within the company, and ACR is always offering incentives to employees.

Cons

The culture depends on the house you work in. Some houses have great employees, the vibes are very positive, caring and teamwork oriented. The supervisor for the house is encouraging. However, there are other houses where there is constant disorder or disagreement, cattiness or gossip, and the supervisor is not very involved or invested in the house's success. ACR can also have a very close-minded and conservative perspective on many issues. Little to no minorities are hired, although they do apply and are qualified (from recruitment experience).

Broaden your horizons and accept that other companies are progressing. While ACR is a company that provides caring services to its clients, many methodologies are tedious and inefficient.

Flexible with college schedule

Former Employee - Care Attendant/Program Counselor/Residential Supervisor Intern in Roseville, MN

I worked at ACR Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, lots of training, good exposure to different levels of disabilities, better pay than a lot of group home companies in the area, no mandatory every other weekend/holiday (just "fair share" sign up, generally by seniority), time and a half to double (or triple) time offered to help cover shifts outside your own,

Cons

no bonuses, no raises, mandatory "fair share" of overnight shifts, as a supervisor on call 24/7 there was no personal life to be had (especially during flu season or staff's finals), due to the "affordable" healthcare act part timers are very limited on hours *which sucks during the summer when they want full time hours)

This company really cares about its residents, and they really try to come up with ideas to retain employees. It just seems like they've grown too fast and are still run like a small business.

Great company in theory, but if you want to survive you have to set boundaries.

Former Employee - Residential Supervisor
    Former Employee - Residential Supervisor

I worked at ACR Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Ability to work with your kids
    - 2 year commitment bonus
    - Doing something purposeful
    - Free housing
    - Great resume booster
    - Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others

Cons

- Being on call 24/7
    - No paid holidays
    - Inconsistent expectations throughout company
    - Low pay with no opportunity for annual or merit based increases
    - Rigid standards that are not always realistic