ACT-1 Reviews

Updated July 7, 2014
Updated July 7, 2014
2.5

Janice Bryant Howroyd

A growing, Knowledge, Expanding and life Changing for what we do everyday !

Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at ACT-1

Pros

Great leadership, Inspiration daily, never ending opportunity, Career Growth abounding! Constantly in a positive work environment that in infectious to all around there ! Cant say enough of how much I truly am privileged to work there everyday !!! Where else can you work that you can help individuals dreams come true one at a time !! Anyone that has an oppurtunity will leave blessed if you ever leave at all !!!

Cons

Hard work...so come ready !!!!

Better Temp agency than any other I have utilized.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ACT-1 as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The branch that I worked with has a higher volume of jobs and a higher rate of pay than any of the Temp agencies I used when I was a college student and just post-grad. They have a lot of assignments and a wider breadth of opportunities in higher quality offices than any other Temp agency I've heard of. They do a good deal of Direct Hire jobs, as well as a lot of Temp-to-Hire positions and I would say that a good deal of people get full-time permanent employment from them. They have a lot of major clients, with a very high volume of jobs to fill.

Cons

It is a Temp agency after all. Which is never an ideal situation, but if you are doing a widespread job hunt, it is good to include all avenues including Temp agencies.

N/A

Overall time well-spent

I have been working at ACT-1 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of nice, caring, and hard working people at this company. With some exceptions, many of the C levels are approachable and open to ideas on how to improve services to customers and the companies as a whole. Not overly competitive internally (I've seen much worse.). Relaxed atmosphere, except when there are customer emergencies. Learned a great deal about business and human relations/customer service while here.

Cons

Some necessary internal changes could come sooner. Your supervisor will determine how well you fair, your team's dynamic, and possibly your level of happiness. If you are lucky to have one who is good to you/advocates for you, competent at what he or she does and be willing to train you, be thankful. Compensation and benefits could be better for some, while some people are paid well for their title, duties, and if they are not in "line jobs."

Review job titles, duties, and compensation & benefits more often. Listen to people from the ground up more often because there are good ideas waiting to be heard. Engage in greater morale building and acknowledge contributions more frequently.

good place to learn

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at ACT-1

Pros

the management here is pretty good and they are large and well recognized. pay is decent and that working atmosphere is fun

Cons

depending on economical conditions brininging in new acounts can be very challenging, especially ones with fillable orders. hard to make commission fast

management here is pretty good but it would have been nice if there was more direct interaction from th ceos, especially and at least in the offices close to where they reside in california

Act One

I have been working at ACT-1

Pros

Act-1 is a collegiate and collaborative environment to work in. It has experienced some cutbacks, but the environment remains pleasant.

Cons

Not a whole lot of career advancement within the company. There is limited room for growth, given the job responsibilities.

Morale is low right now, due to the cutbacks. Make it a more pleasant place to work by putting on more social events.

Come to work, do my job, leave.

Current Employee - Recruiter Coordinator in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter Coordinator in Redmond, WA

I have been working at ACT-1

Pros

No politics.
    No drama.
    To the point.

Cons

Not the greatest benefit/pay.
    Not much communication besides turning in your hours at the end of the week.
    Not much support felt.

Learn more about your employees and who they are as people and where they want to take their careers.

Well-intended chaos

Former Employee - Staffing Manager
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager

I worked at ACT-1 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team environment, most of the time. The Branch Manager is very nice and very professional

Cons

Constant changes in priorities, held accountable to impossible metrics that the managers themselves can't meet. Constant adminstrative reporting to track numbers make it impossible to get the truly important work done. Catty, petty behavior permitted, even engaged in by senior-level people.

Insist that all management act professionally and don't engage in office favoritism. Figure out a way to keep Corporate happy and keep the heavy report burden off the backs of your producers

Incompetent recruiters and managers

Current Employee - Coordinator for A Different Company, Contracting Through Act-1 in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at ACT-1

Pros

Good to work with them if you're looking to contract for MS. They can find a- positions if you're interested in that.

Cons

I contracted through Act-1 and the people responsible for my account were not helpful at all. They were fine with getting me signed with MS, but were useless as soon as I signed my contract. The staff there are lazy and not smart. They are not proactive. They don't care about your success beyond signing you with the company. And most importantly - they do not know how to work with senior management. I was embarassed to have them harass my managers in a poor way. I regreted having Act-1 represent me.

Please, teach your recruiters and account managers to work more professionally with the people they represent and senior management outside of Act-1. Teach them to be proactive, speak with professionalism, and only send their employees relevant emails.

Unrealistic or What

Current Employee - Staffing Specialist
    Current Employee - Staffing Specialist

I have been working at ACT-1

Pros

Good tracking software for candidtae and client management.

Cons

Numbers driven instead of quality driven.

I think there should be more time spent on developing relationships with clients and candidates than making unrealistic phone goals.

Indivicual managers are more reflective of how well you will like the job than upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ACT-1

Pros

Met the CEO, Janice Bryant Howroyd, and loved her, she's actually the whole reason I decided to work for this company - unfortunately her attitude didn't trickle down to the manager I worked under.

Cons

Manager was ridiculous. She was completely incapable of the job, always blaming people under her for her mistakes, going on rants and crying at her desk.

Be careful of the managers you put under you. Just because they were a good-performing recruitier doesn't mean they will be a good manager.