ACT (Iowa City) Reviews

Reset
3.4
ACT (Iowa City) CEO Jon Whitmore
Jon Whitmore

Pros
  • The work/life balance is important to ACT and they do their best to make sure that every employee has the time they need (in 7 reviews)

• Beautiful campus, on-site cafeteria, free coffee (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very top down/top heavy organization that doesn't have many thought/change leaders (in 3 reviews)

• Puts too much trust in "partners" (read: outsourcing) who are at best barely competent at what they do (in 5 reviews)

1. Lead Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good working environment, good work life balance

Cons

sometimes slow in adopting technology

2. Great atmosphere

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City)

Pros

ACT has a great atmosphere, wonderful perks, caring and smart employees. This was the best internship I could have asked for.

Cons

Honestly there were no cons. If I wasn't still in school, I would have applied to a full-time position. Great place.

3. ACT

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time

Pros

ACT has a mission you can feel good about supporting--helping people achieve education and workplace success--strong products, many excellent team members, outstanding benefits, and a beautiful main campus. There are opportunities for professional development. The company has a well-earned reputation for quality and integrity.

Cons

ACT has made strong progress in HR practices over the past few years but still struggles to make solid hiring decisions. Personnel issues are not always addressed in the most constructive manner.

Advice to Management

Continue developing career pathways for team members and addressing problems with managers in order to retain strong employees.

Jul 9, 2015 – ACT

We totally agree, working for non-profit that’s driven by a mission to help others is pretty awesome. We’re so glad you enjoy the benefits offered to our valued team members. Hiring decisions are ... More

5. Content Specialist II

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedule, working from home, wellness program

Cons

difficult to understand compensation dispursements

6. Manager

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City)

Pros

Strong mission focus and high integrity of workforce.

Cons

With best intentions trying to address too many things.

Advice to Management

Focus on the critical few.

7. Benefits are awesome.

Former Employee - Clerk I in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Clerk I in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, opportunities for growth

Cons

Micro-managed, someone is always looking over your shoulder, schedule is not flexible.

enter at your own risk

Current Employee - Director in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Director in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is better than most and parking is free. Benefits are good. Many excellent people who care about the company mission. On-site gym. New CEO coming sometime this year may help turn things around.

Cons

Private offices have been removed in favor of cubicles with low walls, regardless of needs of position. One building has employees working in the basement with no bathroom facilities. Micro management and good ole boy environment, consequently there is little trust. Lots of project failures and false starts; C level can't seem to agree on direction and managers aren't allowed to make decisions. Big brain drain due to lack of succession planning and knowledge transfer. In recent years many qualified people have joined and then left soon, after realizing they won't be allowed to use the skills and experience they bring.

Advice to Management

New CEO should remove those who run and perpetuate the good ole boy network. Hire quality people, set expectations, trust them, and let them use their skills. Respect employees as the qualified and competent people they are. Stop the blame-game and internal competition among senior managers. Be accountable and lead by example.

Jun 11, 2015 – ACT

It’s great to hear you enjoy the people you work with. It’s often the first thing team members mention when talking about working at ACT. We believe team members are our most important resource. The ... More

Long time employee with mixed feelings

Current Employee - Coordinator in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits - great insurance, paid sick leave, personal days, floating holidays, vacation. Also a volunteer day and career development days. I think they are trying to move in a good direction culturally. Senior leadership seems to honestly try to make ACT a better place to work.

Cons

The structure is top heavy and communication is spotty. Don't see much progress eliminating silos, just being replaced with new ones. There seems to be little accountability and the same mistakes are repeated over and over. In a state of reorganization with little input from the mid to lower ranks. Resulting new positions open and fill behind closed doors, not always allowing for other internal candidates to apply.

Advice to Management

Talent Strategy doesn't understand the roles yet is given too much authority over them. See Career Stage Model - supervisors and coordinators are listed as individual contributors - the very definitions of the words say otherwise. Trust departments to know what they need without all the micromanaging from above when it comes to staffing.

May 14, 2015 – ACT

Thank you so much for your years of service at ACT. The generous benefits package is no doubt a great example of our commitment to making ACT a great place to work. It may be helpful to share ... More

10. Good summer intern experience

I worked at ACT (Iowa City)

Pros

Very friendly co-workers, opportunities to learn

Cons

Not I can think of for the two-month experience

11. Professional Environment

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City)

Pros

Allows me to grow in my area and the autonomy to work independently.

Cons

ACT is undergoing many changes right now.

RSS Feed </> Embed