ADM Associates

Updated April 27, 2014
Updated April 27, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great company- not for everyone!

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable hours
    Great management
    Quiet environment
    Never office drama

After reading some of the reviews from former employees, there needs to be an update for some of the issues. The owner of the company is not a tyrant (or at least anymore). He is barely in our office. There is no sexism in the office, however, due to the nature of the industry, majority of employees are male. All of the PMs are extremely fair and easy to talk to if an issue ever were to arise. Great company to gain experience. Yes, there usually isn't formal training, but what better way to learn then to jump right in?

Cons

If you're the type of person that thrives off of social interaction and office politics, this isn't the right place for you. If you don't like solidarity, you shouldn't work here. During a usual work day, most people are in their office working away. It's very very quiet.

More vacation time and more opportunity for raises and bonuses. Happy employees can result in better office morale and productivity.

It is what you make of it.

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advancement: My experience at ADM has been that being proactive and self-directed is generally rewarded. This has been the case for myself and others with a similar mindset. If you're engaged in the work and seeking new tasks, managers are glad to give it. This has been my only job since finishing grad school in '08, and in my time here the company has grown 5x over. That growth has provided a lot of opportunities for myself and others to advance relatively early in their career.

Compensation: Raises are above average (10% raises are fairly typical, 15% raises not uncommon). Medical benefits are good (Kaiser & flex account, very low co-pays). 401K match was recently added.

Office environment: The scheduling allows for a fair amount of flexibility. There is a two-month peak season where overtime is expected but for the most part the work is 40 hours a week. People's start-times vary, and the general expectation is that if you can keep yourself on-task, you can determine the timing of your workday almost however you like. The office environment is casual, and I've gotten to work with some wonderful, very intelligent colleagues. The work has kept me engaged because I get to keep learning about a range of topics I wouldn't study otherwise.

I've done well here and I feel I've been rewarded for it. I know for a fact I've advanced much faster here than I would have at one of our larger competitors. There is a very loose hierarchy, if you want to advance, or change the way something is done, management's receptive and will give you the chance to go for it.

Cons

There is a lack of formal training for a lot of the entry level staff. The "training" has long been such that staff are thrown in and expected to be immediately productive and learn by doing. I managed under those circumstances, but I would have found some level of formal training helpful.

The company's much larger than it used to be and needs to be more adaptable to the range of personalities and temperaments of potential hires, rather than just having one approach that works for one type of person. This has improved significantly in the last year or so, but it still needs work.

Vacation amount is what I'd consider below-average (two weeks vacation, one week sick leave, 8 holidays).

My experience here allowed me to develop in ways I never thought I could.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation/Rewards: I appreciate that performance is rewarded at ADM. Coming from a background of getting predictable raises that had nothing to do with performance, at first I was wary of coming into the world of consulting, which is less secure. I have performed well at ADM, and have been well-rewarded. I believe that, generally speaking, good performance is recognized at this company. Until fairly recently, the company didn’t communicate about benefits and policies very well. There has been a definite improvement in communication during the last year.

Not Rigid Structure: I like that, for the most part, there is no rigid hierarchical structure that holds people back. As the company has grown, I’ve seen plenty of talented people take leadership roles in all areas. If someone is very bold, proactive, and performs, anything is possible and obtainable. It’s so different from my previous professional experience, in a good way. I also appreciate that there is little in the way of office politics or gossip – mainly there are friendly people with a good attitude toward life, work included.

Work/Life Balance: Most salaried people tend to average about 40 hours of work a week. Some people come in at different times and have pretty flexible schedules.

Cons

Communication/Task Assignment: ADM still maintains some practices that are more appropriate for a very small-sized firm. When I started at the company, it had the vibe of a family business and everything was very ad hoc. That has changed a lot; still, the company needs to be more clear and efficient about internal practices and project work.

It’s Not for Everyone: Some people at ADM have experienced the company as lacking training and professional development opportunities. Personally, I struggled in training and learned through practice (just jumping in doing work) – this took a lot longer than if I had a mentor spending more time with me. I think there’s been a lot of improvement since then. Still, I don’t think this company is suited to people who definitely want a traditional corporate environment or very structured training in all aspects of job responsibilities. Generally, people here learn (or don’t) through doing actual work and taking the initiative to learn from coworkers. The company should do a better job in making all this clear to people coming in for interviews.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I mean, it's not retail.

I have been working at ADM Associates full-time

Pros

On a daily scheduling basis, there is some flexibility. I would almost say this is good for work/life balance, but employees have and will never get more than eight holidays and two weeks vacation.

Cons

Office culture:
    ADM has a punitive culture where employees are typically unhappy for several reasons. The first hurdle the company faces is one of the owners. He is blatantly sexist and classist. He can be heard throughout the building yelling at and belittling technical and administrative staff. His ethics are borderline third world across the board. Otherwise, the company suffers from a general lack of morale and professionalism. The building is old and overcrowded, meetings are administered to chastise and threaten employees, and the general feel is that nobody considers ADM a long-term investment.

Compensation:
    ADM targets young professionals with high level degrees right out of college. They offer a very low starting salary with the false promise of a substantial raise on their first annual review. This is one of the many reasons the morale is so low and turnover is so high.

Promotions:
    Titles kind of exist at ADM, but not really. Typically, a person will be hired with the title "analyst" or "evaluation researcher." From there, a person could end up taking over a project on their first day, or they could end up calling customers to schedule appointments with no regard for their advanced degree. There seems to be no rhyme or reason. I see many talented people spend their entire time at ADM as a scheduler or data entry person.

Time off policies:
    As mentioned above, the lack of holidays and vacation time are an issue for many people. In addition, many people are forced to spend very long hours in the office to complete their work. Again, this makes little sense because there are many employees that are underutilized as well.

Training:
    There is no training whatsoever. This did not affect me because I was fortunate enough to have tasks assigned to me that were new to the company and needed me to research and administer them. However, for many, this is unfortunate because they will fail with little to no chance of success.

Personal growth:
    I used to think of working for ADM as a good way to get experience. Now I question that because their industry reputation is iffy at best. This is partly to do with their known affiliation with the "sister company" Matrix Energy Services, and partly to do with their own failings in the past. Now I can't wait to find another option.

Try to respect your employees and listen to them. Nothing I have said here should come as a surprise.

Good for entry level, beyond that not a good fit

Former Employee - Program Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Program Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at ADM Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, good work experience for resume

Cons

Bad environment, very stifling, work doesn't change much, mostly just good for getting work experience on your resume, very few holidays, benefits were only ok when I was there

I guess it's ok if your desperate for a job, but it won't be long before you'll be ready to leave

I worked at ADM Associates full-time

Pros

The flexibility in work hours, and a few respectful and impartial managers at this place.

Cons

1. The culture at this company is to blame everyone else for things gone wrong. There was even once a meeting held by some powerful individuals at the company that was basically to convey to all employees that their work was unsatisfactory (with no inclination of how or what to improve).
    2. Hard work is neither recognized nor rewarded (monetarily or otherwise), making it hard to stay motivated.
    3. If you make the slightest error, you'll basically be written off of projects forever by certain managers. This practice is common in this company. Turnover is pretty high.
    4. Salaried employees have to record their time spent on projects, which is a-typical of salaried positions. There is absolutely no organizational structure for downtime between projects (even though downtime is inevitable at every company). The business model at this company is fundamentally flawed.
    5. Communication in general is pretty terrible at this company.
    6. They do not utilize the talent they have at all. People with Master or PhD degrees will be asked to call a list of customers to schedule appointments. I'm pretty sure a high school student could do that.
    7. The hiring process is pretty much a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants ordeal. People have been hired with no direction as to what they are supposed to do, or any apparent long-term plan for project work.

Practice more impartiality and support your employees a little more when a job has been well done. Provide people with more growth opportunities as well.
    Most importantly: invest in your employees and you'll reap the reward; don't, and you'll continue to be a crappy little company.

Run far away, and never look back

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at ADM Associates full-time

Pros

*Flexible hours
    *Flexible spending account for medical expenses

Cons

*Horrible working environment
    *Sexism is rampant
    *Very low salaries, and you won't ever get paid what you deserve
    *Mentally unstimulating. Many employees with post graduate and advanced degrees spend their days scheduling appointments
    *Team work is not encouraged
    *There were meetings from management to employees threatening us
    *No feedback on the work we did
    *There was not enough work to go around
    *Very hard to see a future there, they have a very high turnover. I've seen one person quit within 3 months of starting. Most last about a year
    *You only get 8 holidays a year, and benefits were not impressive