ADM Reviews

Updated October 5, 2014
Updated October 5, 2014

ADM Chairman, President, and CEO Pat Woertz
Pat Woertz

Pros
  • Work life balance is resonable for level of responsibility - (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, good 401k options (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay long hours junk equipment poor maintenance (in 9 reviews)

• upper management and executives were out of touch with the real world (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Intern Experience

Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Intern in Decatur, IL

I worked at ADM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great people all around, very helpful in developing your skills and fantastic perks. Pay was reasonable considering they also provided housing as an intern. Well developed program that exposes you to a variety of areas of the company. If you take the initiative and prove your abilities then they are willing to let you do a lot. Great learning experience.

Cons

Goals and training were not always clear. Some evaluation methods were poor indicators of performance. Underperforming individuals were not held accountable for their lack of productivity, lack of skills, and lack of desire to better their skills. I saw one full time employee spend 25+ hours online shopping, taking long lunches while I was waiting for reviews on my work. Relocating to Decatur is also an unfortunate requirement.

Some people in the department were known for how inappropriate they were. Early on in my intern ship I was exposed to wildly inappropriate conversations that made me felt uncomfortable. As an intern I did not feel comfortable making a formal complaint.

Work on developing the skills of under performers rather than letting the work flow onto to others desks. Coworkers should be happy to help - not happy to do the work for them.

Large Agri-Business in the Midwest

Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Decatur, IL

I worked at ADM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Middle management was very good to work with.

Cons

upper management and executives were out of touch with the real world.

Could be great if management would hold themselves to the performance standards they hold everyone else too.

Current Employee - Local Driver in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Local Driver in Decatur, IL

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and top notch people all through the operations side company. Very safety first and if your honest and straight with them your managers will go to bat for you.

Cons

Dysfunction in middle management leads to wasted money and people leaving due to the "Not my fault" mantra of dispatch. Good dispatchers fired for ad hoc reasons. At what point does a head of a department bear the responsibility of his leadership of that department

Clean up departments and stream line control. Find a balance thats makes the company money and employees money as well.

Hopeful for change but not seeing it

I have been working at ADM

Pros

Decent pay. All the hours you can handle. There are some really good people working here. Definitely not going to be let go.

Cons

Nobody gets fired for any reason as long as they show up. This makes the work harder for the ones that try to pick up the slack for the ones just collecting a pay check (hourly and salary). The good employees get fed up and leave. Meanwhile management won't trim the fat because nobody else wants the job, and they won't find anyone until the facility gets rid of the poor workers and replaces them. It's a vicious cycle that is quickly turning into a tight spiral downward. Hopefully when this place inevitably crash lands, someone will be able to pick up the pieces and make something decent out of them.

Pay a little more attention to the individual plants, and not just when the key performance indicators tell you to.

A good company to work for. The company is expanding and has potential.

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience with an opportunity make a difference.

Cons

Too many inbred managers, lacking the knowledge of how other companies may do things.

offer more career paths to employees

R&D summer intern

I have been working at ADM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Boss was cool
    -Learned and implemented valuable techniques involving common chemical engineering software
    -Got to visit production facilities and interact with project leaders and engineers on site.

Cons

-I would have liked to have more work to do; I got bored often
    -Upper management can be unrealistic when deciding whether or not to kill projects. Some projects have been ongoing that looked bad from the start
    -AMD is not a chemical company so the work did not line up with my career goals as a ChemE

No job is safe

I have been working at ADM full-time

Pros

Benefits, employees and local employer

Cons

No job is safe of elimination

It's a different place

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ADM

Pros

As a global company, you get exposure to a lot of new and exciting projects. Even putting out fires can be fun given the extreme variety of issues that can crop up.

Cons

There no longer seems to be any value seen in those employees that have a long service record with the company. The company has also become a PowerPoint company with even the simplest questions requiring a PPT deck.

Remember that employees with a long service record can still add value.

Controller

Current Employee - Controller
    Current Employee - Controller

I have been working at ADM full-time

Pros

Company is a solid and secure work place, with great benefits (incl. company pension plan).

Cons

Compensation is not market competitive, especially in ADM's finance team. Lot's of corporate red tape and inefficient decision making.

People are ADM's key to success, and you preach that you want to attract world class people. Please practice what you preach and make your people feel appreciated by paying competitive salaries.

Merchandiser 1

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Decatur, IL

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of experience - few companies give new hires books to trade
    People want to help you learn
    Dynamic workplace
    Chicago is up and coming
    Senior management in your departments were very accessible and always looking to help mentor

Cons

The nature of the job is inflexible
    Old tech systems
    Old school buddy-buddy work place
    Excel reliance
    Decatur, IL / small town locations

Modernize the workplace. Find a great location for a new office to attract and retain young merchandisers