ADM

Profile Unclaimed

Good Place To Start Your Grain Trading Career

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Very hands on work, learn as you go
    - Access to market movers. "Why did soybeans go up 10 today or why did the spread firm 3?" Answer: "Because we did X and Y".
    - Plenty of experienced people to help answer questions and lead the way
    - Plenty of opportunities to move around the country and world, see new places, meet new people
    -Benefits such has health and 401k matching are great, probably some of the best around
    - ADM is very respected in the agribusiness world, always gets good remarks from the competition and customers
    -Moving packages are generous, covers the cost of moving and then some
    -Starting salary as a merchandiser can be bleh, but if you do well, several raises will come your way over the next couple of years.

Cons

Really, only cons are salary, hours, and technology. Salary is OK, one can definitely be comfortable with what is earned, but still lags behind the industry standard. You could argue though that this lower salary is traded for job security. Other firms if you don't do well, you get canned. Here, you would stay on and get several chances before being fired.

The other con is hours, and I mean the sense that if it's dead in the office, you're still expected to stick around. With technology today, much of your job can be done outside of the office. However, it seems there's still the attitude that if you're not in the office, you're not working.

Finally, technology. The systems we use to track contracts, contacts, A/R, everything is decades old. And I mean decades. Information is not easy to access. Even the simplest things like looking up a contract balance can be a daunting task if you don't have the right permissions or know what commands to type. However, this is a known problem in the company, and millions of dollars are being spent to get us updated. By the time this gets rolled out though, the tech will likely be outdated. I won't hold my breathe.

Nothing to really add here. It would be nice if Pat would show her face every once in awhile. (I've never seen her on the trading floor. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen her in the Decatur office.) However, it's understood that ADM is heading more towards a value-added business, and not just grain handlers, so would make sense to spend time with that unit.

Good money, horrible management

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Jackson, TN
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Jackson, TN

I worked at ADM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

paid really well and lots of over time

Cons

Management sucks. Strong lack of morals and ethics.

Get it together. Don't befriend those weak workers and fire the good workers. You'll end up fired for a crew that doesn't produce.

Great place to gain experience but very controlling management

I worked at ADM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to get involved in interesting projects. The pay is good but not outstanding. There are a lot of folks with experience that are willing to help you develop yourself.

Cons

Management is fearful and often values membership in the old boys club more than results. They hold a lot of good people back because they are afraid of giving up control of ideas or the process. They will actively interfere with implementing ideas that are cost effective because they are afraid it might make them look bad.

Results need to count for something. You need to eliminate managers that do not do anything more than pick on people with minor issues that deliver results. It is almost too late to undo the damage that has been done as there are very few experienced engineers left. Managers need to bring something to the table other than intimidation. I have been kept out of conference calls with management on large capital projects that I designed. How the hell does that make anyone feel like sticking around?

Large Agri-Business in the Midwest

Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Decatur, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Decatur, IL

I worked at ADM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Middle management was very good to work with.

Cons

upper management and executives were out of touch with the real world.

Security guard

Current Employee - Security Guard in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Security Guard in New York, NY

I have been working at ADM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice co workers the location is good and they have nice people

Cons

Horrible pay and no benefit treat you like a dog no respect

Start at 10 hr and with benefits

No job is safe

I have been working at ADM full-time

Pros

Benefits, employees and local employer

Cons

No job is safe of elimination

Intern Experience

Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in Decatur, IL
    Former Intern - Internal Audit Intern in Decatur, IL

I worked at ADM as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people all around, very helpful in developing your skills and fantastic perks. Pay was reasonable considering they also provided housing as an intern. Well developed program that exposes you to a variety of areas of the company. If you take the initiative and prove your abilities then they are willing to let you do a lot. Great learning experience.

Cons

Goals and training were not always clear. Some evaluation methods were poor indicators of performance. Underperforming individuals were not held accountable for their lack of productivity, lack of skills, and lack of desire to better their skills. I saw one full time employee spend 25+ hours online shopping, taking long lunches while I was waiting for reviews on my work. Relocating to Decatur is also an unfortunate requirement.

Some people in the department were known for how inappropriate they were. Early on in my intern ship I was exposed to wildly inappropriate conversations that made me felt uncomfortable. As an intern I did not feel comfortable making a formal complaint.

Work on developing the skills of under performers rather than letting the work flow onto to others desks. Coworkers should be happy to help - not happy to do the work for them.

Hopeful for change but not seeing it

I have been working at ADM

Pros

Decent pay. All the hours you can handle. There are some really good people working here. Definitely not going to be let go.

Cons

Nobody gets fired for any reason as long as they show up. This makes the work harder for the ones that try to pick up the slack for the ones just collecting a pay check (hourly and salary). The good employees get fed up and leave. Meanwhile management won't trim the fat because nobody else wants the job, and they won't find anyone until the facility gets rid of the poor workers and replaces them. It's a vicious cycle that is quickly turning into a tight spiral downward. Hopefully when this place inevitably crash lands, someone will be able to pick up the pieces and make something decent out of them.

Pay a little more attention to the individual plants, and not just when the key performance indicators tell you to.

Could be great if management would hold themselves to the performance standards they hold everyone else too.

Current Employee - Local Driver in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Local Driver in Decatur, IL

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and top notch people all through the operations side company. Very safety first and if your honest and straight with them your managers will go to bat for you.

Cons

Dysfunction in middle management leads to wasted money and people leaving due to the "Not my fault" mantra of dispatch. Good dispatchers fired for ad hoc reasons. At what point does a head of a department bear the responsibility of his leadership of that department

Clean up departments and stream line control. Find a balance thats makes the company money and employees money as well.

Good pay, terrible management. Money isn't everything, unless you're ADM, of course.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hazle Township, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hazle Township, PA

I have been working at ADM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average pay. Even entry level laborers earn a respectable wage. Good group of coworkers and floor level supervisors. Not always necessary to "run your butt off" to keep up with workload. Good 401k investment options.

Cons

Upper level management has literally no regard or respect for the workers, and is shameless in demonstrating their disdain. Sounds extreme, but it truly borders on sociopathic. Workers cafeteria has elementary school style and size lunch tables. When complaints were lodged, response from plant superintendent was that they didn't want you in there for long, so they're not going to make it comfortable. Management cafe is another story, however. Reward for hitting a safety goal in most places may be a sweatshirt or coffee mug... we once got a candy cane and a packet of hot cocoa mix, because it was near the holidays. Employee drops unconscious in the entry hallway, is forced to leave via ambulance...and then is charged a day on his attendance record for leaving. Working environment is 120°F or more in much of the plant. Work schedule is impossible to live your life around. Full production scheduled on major holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas, all while equipment sat idle for weeks prior. And unless you have an engineering degree (brains optional), don't even bother suggesting an improvement to the process. If it ever gets implemented at all, it will only be months or years after your suggestion, and after an engineer has reintroduced the idea as his own and taken credit for it.

If you're going to drink Kool-Aid, try to sip rather than chug. Also, no need to use a crazy straw.