ADP

3.5
1,882 Reviews

ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

Pros
  • ADP is a solid organization Work/Life balance - getting to work from home (in 143 reviews)

• You're able to work from home remotely in case of something like bad weather or illness (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are in an individual contributor role, kiss your work life balance goodbye (in 45 reviews)

• Upper Management is lacking, need to bridge the gap from Management to employees (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

50 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to learn and grow can't stay forever

Former Employee - Senior Connection Support Spec in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Connection Support Spec in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at ADP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

No work life balance, especially due to working in HR & Benefits. Open Enrollment is holiday season and we cannot take time off to spend with family

Educational

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ADP has an outstanding benefits package. Training is available to any who want it. I am currently making use of the tuition reimbursement program and management has been exceedingly accommodating. I've learned a lot about myself as an employee.

Cons

ADP seems to have the practice of squeezing water from a stone. That is, ADP will work people to the bone and beyond before they even think of filling a position on a team. The trend towards smart-shoring (hiring associates from areas in the US with a lower cost of living) and off-shoring (hiring associates in India and the Philippines, or moving certain functions over there) does not make operations as efficient.

Invest in product development. Avoid the "shiny new toys" on the market. Excel at what you do. Also, invest in employees. Listen to them the first time, and not when you're in a pickle.

Too Many Chiefs & No Indians

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable company. Recognized brand.

Cons

Labor camp for those who are hired as contractors. Making 21.15 an hour as a start. Stay in that position for a year before becoming permanent. Nothing changes however. After becoming a permanent associate, you have to wait another year before qualifying for a merit increase. Cannot leave your PSR position for 18 months. Chances of advancement not only limited but virtually impossible for quite some time. Flawed distribution of the clients. Average PSR has 100-plus clients, Employees are leaving all the time and new contractors are being brought in. It's almost like a factory-like atmosphere. No management support on anything. Inadequate tools, no solid training and too much red-tap mentality. It seems there are way too many managers virtually doing nothing while average employees are lost and dishearten. Benefit are expensive from healthcare standpoint. Those who are saying that benefits are great are either lying or don't care... For an average PSR making $21.15 with a family has to pay $750 a month to have medical, dental and vision coverage. Now, that is brutal and to say that ADP takes care of his employees is nothing but a sham.

Make managers accountable for what they do or don't do. No one has the courage to tell what it is. Town Hall meetings are held to portray a picture of ADP what it's not.

Middle of the Road

Current Employee - Client Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers, brand on your resume, work life balance

Cons

Pay is below market, benefits high, management, promotions are based on favoritism, lack of communication

Try harder to retain talent and evaluate based on performance versus client retention

Big Company Small Thinking

Former Employee - FSA Specialiist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - FSA Specialiist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at ADP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have good benefits and I see that they are really trying with the work-life balance idea and job share idea

Cons

Management doesn't really live by the core values. Most of the management is simply clueless which is a shame because this really is an awesome place to work. It's almost as if there is a "hood" "ghetto" ADP and then there is the REAL ADP that is just one bldg. over in the main bldg....COBRA/FSA Solutions was a dysfunctional nightmare with poor leadership.

Conduct "stay interviews" with current employees to get the real deal on what is going on

Great Company

Current Employee - OIC in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - OIC in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong financial position. Flexible work environment. ADP stresses work / life balance. The Manager I worked for was top notch.

Cons

Long hours at times. Some of the tasks required are not allotted enough hours to complete.

ADP 2014 Summer Internship

Current Employee - App Tier Administration in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - App Tier Administration in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a great and diverse atmosphere. Despite my title as an "Intern", I was treated with the same level of respect that an employee with tenure is given. My supervisor was very approachable and and I was often given meaning work which made my experience a great practical learning experience. They also had many "Talk with a Leader" sessions which had the company's higher ups talk about their past experiences and giving advice on anything from life to navigating Corporate America.

Cons

As with any large global companies, your team is split between various locations which means you have to have phone/web meetings to accommodate for the various timezones. The meetings really get tiring after a while.

Innovative collaboration with diverse leaders in a financially stable global Fortune 500 corporation

Current Employee - Senior Director in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ADP has many leaders with diverse backgrounds and experience that are always willing to integrate new solutions into the overall strategy. There is a lot of career growth internally in tech, sales, service, and HR. You have the ability to get to know and learn from leadership online and offline. In some roles, you can work from home.

Cons

If you are not ethical and live the company's values, you will not last long at ADP. It is important to have the ability to build relationships that drive results. We are starting to build the infrastructure to truly be "One ADP" on a global scales vs. being U.S. centric.

Continue to be proactive with teams and sharing our strategy on a global scale - the town halls and internal communication channels are very valuable.

Disconnect between what they say their values are, and how they live their values.

Current Employee - Current, Long-term Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Current, Long-term Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance--most of the time. Work from home is best perk--and the only reason I have stayed as long as I have. Okay benefits. Fantastic co-workers on my team--they are smart, hard working and really care about doing great work.

Cons

Despite the "worker bees" really caring about the quality of work, that sentiment is not followed by many managers.

ADP used to be (about 8 years ago) a great place to work. Now most folks on my team are looking for an escape hatch. Some managers ave no experience in your functional area, which causes managers to set unrealistic expectations for deliverables, determine your pay raises and promotions (which have been slim the past five or six years) and the do not promote you--no matter how good of a job you do.. They do not live by their own cultures and values of "innovation and excellence." Their mantra is "how fast can we get it out the door and how low of quality can we get away with." That saddens me because when I first came here I was so proud to say I worked at ADP, so proud to wear my ADP gear out in public. Now, am no longer proud to be with ADP.

Some managers also play favorites--allowing some employees to work compressed work weeks so they can have three-day weekends, while others are not allowed to work compressed work weeks -- or even get a few flexible hours now and then -- to take care of family health issues. I find this odd for an HR company.

Insist that managers have PREVIOUS, DIRECT EXPERIENCE in the functional area of the folks they are managing. Live the innovation tagline in EVERY department.

Avoid "Major Accounts" Division in Alpharetta for Software Development

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ADP full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are great. The ability to work remotely is a huge benefit. Company policies are refreshingly progressive.

Cons

Getting things done is next to impossible due to the need to coordinate among multiple groups with different priorities and kingdom building. NJ dictates how things are done, usually in a bass-ackwards way. Senior leaders (esp. NJ) are aggressive, condescending, and micromanaging. New ideas and changes are not valued. Recognition is only given to a few star players. Fixing problems requires jumping through many hoops, causing apathy to flourish.

Learn to delegate and trust your team; micromanagement is demeaning. Make it easier to fix obvious problems in the software; agile processes aren't a universal solution. More recognition of the soldiers in the trenches would make employees feel appreciated. Good ideas don't only come out of NJ.