ADP Reviews

3.5
2,241 Reviews
ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

Pros
  • ADP is a solid organization Work/Life balance - getting to work from home (in 155 reviews)

• You're able to work from home remotely in case of something like bad weather or illness (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • What your work/life balance looks like depends on the position held within the company (in 50 reviews)

• Upper Management is lacking, need to bridge the gap from Management to employees (in 42 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Totalource District Manager

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for:
    1) They know how treat their employees as a professionals.
    2) They train you and don't expect you to be a genius after the first two or three months like other companies I worked at.
    3)They reward you just by hitting your goals.
    4)This is a career not a job. Management have all been reps for over 8 years so its not a kid who just sold well for a year trying to teach you what to do.
    5)Oh and selling a product that people need is always a great thing too.
    6) Money!
    7) the company knows and respects you have a personal life outside of work.

Cons

I have to wear a suit everyday (oh well)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

ADP Response

Apr 23, 2015Project Specialist: Branding, Marketing, & Social Media Talent Acquisition

Sorry you have to wear a suit everyday - Thank you for the honest review!

Great sales experience that builds the foundation for the rest of your career

Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ADP is an excellent foundation for your sales career. The company offers solid benefits, great quality of life, and famous sales training. The compensation is decent but top performers do very well. While working at ADP you will work with hard-working, talented individuals that genuinely care about your development. Management quality varies by region (my leadership team was great) and business unit - e.g., SBS is known for micro-managing while Majors and Nationals are more collegial. In addition, there are numerous routes for your career at ADP if you buy into the culture and mission. At ADP, you will truly become a better sales professional if you commit yourself to being successful.

Cons

Parallel to the pros of working here, ADP is known as " sales training for your next job." - i.e., ADP trains its salesforce well but struggles with retention. Basically, other companies heavily recruit ADP reps and will offer highly-attractive compensation packages. While ADP's benefits are good, many perceive the benefits as a "carrot on a string" - e.g., 401k and stock awards don't vest to you until after 2 years of continued service. Leadership will tell you that you can make amazing money due to uncapped commissions. This is true if you are an elite performer; however, across the board you can make more money elsewhere (and recruiters know this) and to get to elite level it takes many years of time invested. Going to the highly-coveted Presidents' Club used to be strictly based on revenue sold but now there are several restrictions such as blanket "unit gates" that are easily achievable in some markets and extremely difficult in others. Furthermore, ADP sales is a sign-and-move-on type of sale. There is no residual income. Deal-slinging hustlers will love this type of role but relationship-builder sales types often get frustrated over time. It's no mystery that this type of sale is a grind. Some of the biggest challenges in selling at ADP are poor client service support (you will constantly have to deal with client issues), horrendous implementation due to overworked/understaffed implementation teams (keep in mind your commission comes down if a new client doesn't continuously process for 6 months or never starts); and lack of product innovation (competitors are offering the same thing for less expensive). Much of this red tape significantly distracts the salesforce from driving more sales. The ADP brand perception is slowly deteriorating in the marketplace due to these issues. Executive-level management recognizes these problems but ADP takes a really long time to make changes and sometimes employees wonder if fixing these problems is truly a top priority. For this reason, ADP does a great job on the front-end (i.e., training, culture, etc) but slacks on the back-end (i.e., client support, internal red tape, etc) leading to employee turnover. You will meet many great sales professionals at ADP; some will grow within the company and many will move on.

Advice to Management

Leadership, please address the 3 major problems listed above. Ex-ADP reps continuously say these are issues that drove them to consider other opportunities, yet they never seem to get fixed. Make your weaknesses your greatest strengths! Being a SAAS company, your technology alone is not winning deals. Clients want great service as well. Spending more money in service and implementation would save you a ton of money in both client and employee retention. Also, decide what level of talent you want by adjusting compensation accordingly. Both your competitors and companies outside your industry are offering noticeably better compensation packages, yet you continue to believe that "uncapped commissions" will keep top reps when selling ADP is becoming more and more difficult.

3. R&D Manager

Former Employee - R&D Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - R&D Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at ADP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunity to grow and learn different areas of the business that interest you. With few exceptions, I really liked everyone I worked with. Overall, effective cross-functional communication.

Cons

Politics can be stifling. In the rush to bring in 'new blood' they are losing some of what made the company successful in the first place - strong communication, skilled personnel. Quality has been diminished and this impacts both Clients and Employees.

Advice to Management

Increased focus on quality in products, personnel. Invest the time and money needed to achieve this long terms vs. just profits for this quarter or FY.

5. Product/Internal Systems Support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great homeshoring options, always learning something new, business travel, large company, job security, lots of tenure

Cons

More reactive than proactive to product and system issues. Tenured employees don't often see significant raises and new hires are offered higher starting salaries with far less responsibilites.

Advice to Management

Involve those on the front line when making changes to processes that were already running smoothly.

6. Director in HR

I have been working at ADP full-time

Pros

Relationship oriented; friendly culture and focused on advancing diversity and inclusion
    Good work life balance
    Subject Matter Experts in HCM
    Moving forward with technology

Cons

Hard to get and keep talent from other industries
    A little bureaucratic and takes a while to execute on decisions

7. Fantastic organization that everyone should spend some time there.

Former Employee - Vice President in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I worked at ADP (More than 8 years)

Pros

Open minded leadership
    Working hard to be the Innovative industry leader
    Smart with spinoffs, mergers & acquisitions

Cons

Conservative compensation needs to be improved.

Advice to Management

Build more stuff yourself and continue to grow your inside sales and biz dev teams.

ADP Response

Thank you for the review. We appreciate your honest and clear opinion.

8. first job out of college and I hope to make it my last before retirement!

I have been working at ADP full-time

Pros

Young atmosphere, extremely positive environment, unlimited opportunities

Cons

Lots of competition out there in the same industry.

ADP Response

Glad to have you on the team! ADP does have significant competition in the space, but with great associates and clear strategy we don't plan on giving up any ground! Thanks for the review. ◉◡◉

9. Great company and culture to foster sales growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a TotalSource District Manager and have been with the company and in this role for about 2.5 years. Coming from previous sales jobs I never knew what an "employer of choice" was until I joined ADP. I think pay is more than competitive for the industry and a robust benefit package is offered, including a stock purchase plan and 401k.

Your opportunity is dependent upon how hard and smart you work. ADP is an organization designed to support Sales and provides technology, data, tools, and multiple levels of support so you never feel like you're alone in working a deal. If you work hard and meet with C Level executives, you will be successful and have an opportunity make a lot of money.

When I joined ADPTS I did not have my own territory, but trained and was mentored by a number of senior sales reps and managers, which definitely helped once I finally received my current opportunity.

Cons

Internal policies, procedures, and administration can sometimes be frustrating to work around. If you're fortunate to work with strong managers you shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to improve workflow or automate marketing and sales processes to remove some of the administration burden that typically accompanies sales.

10. District Manager ADP TotalSource

Current Employee - ADP Totalsource District Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ADP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Protected Territory
    * Uncapped Commissions with decent base salary
    * Excellent Benefits
    * Excellent Training (although very time consuming)
    * Very little if any micro managing as long as you work hard
    * Managers have sales experience in the role
    * Work hard play hard culture
    * If you are committed to your career and the opportunity you are given, ADP will invest in your development
    * Changes in Obamacare regulations are making this product more attractive to the marketplace

Cons

The TotalSource solution is a very difficult sale. Only seasoned salespeople will succeed in the role. That said each sales comes with a relatively large commission.

Advice to Management

Invest more in marketing this specific solution.

ADP Response

Thank you for your honest review of the sales function. We believe in investing in every associate and glad you feel the same way. We don't shy away from the fact that our sales people need to be ... More

11. Money Movement Specialist

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at ADP as a contractor

Pros

Great environment, each has own responsibilities, not micro managed.

Cons

Department does not allow much growth, contract hiring leads to a more frequent turnover of employees.