ADP Reviews

3.5
ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez
1,087 Ratings

Pros
  • Good work life balance if you are in the right department (in 155 reviews)

• Allowed to work from home in poor weather - albiet - depending on your manager - some frowned upon the decision of working at home (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge at times (in 50 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management (in 42 reviews)

2,610 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Totalource District Manager

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ADP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for: 1) They know how treat their employees as a professionals. 2) They train you and don't expect you to be a genius after the first two or three months like other companies I worked at. 3)They reward you just by hitting your goals. 4)This is a career not a job. Management have all been reps for over 8 years so its not a kid who just sold well for a year trying to teach you what to do. 5)Oh and selling a product that people need is always a great thing too. 6) Money! 7) the company knows and respects you have a personal life outside of work.

Cons

I have to wear a suit everyday (oh well)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

ADP Response

Apr 23, 2015 – Project Specialist: Branding, Marketing, & Social Media Talent Acquisition

Sorry you have to wear a suit every day - Thank you for the honest review!

Run unless you are a good old boy

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

The pension is the main reason that people stay. There are some great worker bees but they lack good managment

Cons

It is a very white male environment. It doesn't matter how good your job performace is you can be passed over for a promotion based on the "good old boy" network. If you are a women in IT you will never get a even a lead possition.

Advice to Management

Break up the IT good old boy network. Get real feedback from the troops who do the work not just the feedback that is filtered through lower management

3. Don't work for this company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

There are no good reasons to work for ADP!

Cons

Cheap company, doesn't care about the employees.

Advice to Management

Management is unfair, never give any recognitions to the employees.

Great at rewards, awful for clients

Former Employee - District Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Ontario, CA

Pros

It was a good place to get started in outside sales. I did not have any outside sales experience, only inside, and they gave me an opportunity where many companies would not even consider me because of lack of experience. Also, they have great rewards for performance. I loved that. I haven't worked for a company who is better at rewarding performance regularly. They made it a lot of fun when you were excelling. They also have great training. I loved that we went back for additional training in our second year, though I think it could have been less focused on Autopay upgrades when I wasn't even allowed to sell those!

Cons

Unfortunately, my rose colored glasses were kicked off my nose during my second year at ADP. I was loving my job at first, but my manager decided to take a manipulative power trip and really hurt a lot of people. What did the Sales Exec do? Not a whole lot. What did HR do? Nothing that I could see. He is still working there and I am shocked! He is the reason why a lot of really good people have left ADP from that office. Although the pay increased quite a bit last year, which was very nice, it did not make up for the way we were treated. My manager pit people against each other and I got to the point where I dreaded getting a call from him even though I was doing really well with my numbers. Another really not good thing about ADP is that they have way too many people involved in each aspect of solving a problem. As a sales rep, I could not talk to the people who were going to help my clients. I had to go through another person who would pass it on. Then HOPE that even though it was sent to management and supposed to be taken care of within 24 hours (ya, right, never happened) that my client would actually get help. Then, the client calls in and talks to a different person every single time they call. Oh, and it isn't a payroll related thing? It is a tax issue? A bank issue? Anything in detail at all had to be transfered to still ANOTHER office -- and sometimes, you were transferred only to find out they actually weren't the right person to begin with. Terrible when it comes to customer service. I was left feeling like there was nothing I could do to help my clients when they had a problem, which is a terrible feeling when you live in a small area where reputation is everything. One of the most frustrating feelings was when I thought I had turned everything in to get my clients up on Full Level Tax, only to find out near the end of the year or the end of the quarter that we weren't going to actually be filing the quarterly/annual report for our client. How can we tell them we guarantee that then not give the sales rep the information needed to make sure things are complete? I was never given good training on this so I did not even always know what I needed to pick up.

Advice to Management

Take a look around. You honestly need to simplify things quite a bit for our clients.

ADP: Sales consultants or slightly overpaid telemarketer?

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Dayton, NJ

Pros

good intro to sales, but absolutely no opportunity to learn their touted consultative approach when the script you are being asked to use when cold calling is: hi this is abc from ADP are you looking to change payroll providers? if yes continue if no call someone else. they invest thousands of dollars training their salesforce in consultative selling and then they turn you into a telemarketer.

Cons

see above. Management style in many cases is absolute pressure onto sales without actually investing any time trying to improve the sales person, managers are also under a lot of pressure therefore they find it easier to run sales people to the ground and hire new ones.

Advice to Management

prepare a better sales strategy and apply it on all levels, and monitor sales management so that they implement these techniques.

In interview they tell you the sky is the limit - then you get hired here and you realize its all lies.

Current Employee - District Manager in Florham Park, NJ
    Current Employee - District Manager in Florham Park, NJ

Pros

Job Security - I guess

Cons

Assembly line style sales envrionment. Everything you do is electronically monitored - from the dials you make per day to talk time - if you are making sales they bust your chops about talk time and dials - if you aren't making sales - they still bust your chops about this.

Advice to Management

Create more fair territories and a better commission structure

Mediocrity Is Good Enough For ADP

Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great place to learn, good communication from management regarding important company issues, overall fair treatment on a human level.

Cons

Zero opportunities for advancement within your department, being hired to another department will be difficult if not impossible because your current manager must approve the change, pitiful "merit increase" which isn't based on merit and doesn't keep up with inflation, you will be expected to train new people and pick up the slack for incompetents who shouldn't have been hired for the job. Mediocrity is looked up to but never quite achieved.

Advice to Management

This is the Information Age, and the Industrial Age is over. You need to upgrade your entire philosophy of business.

Come up to the 21st Century in managing people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

Pros

Job Title for advancement outside of ADP, you can use the title that ADP gives you and extended that outside the company to find a more fitting position.... They stress a good job description, however they don't allow you to do what they wrote down on paper.

Cons

The company is very silo in terms of working together in projects or collaboration with other team members. Upper management in the Employee Service division are very "Old School"... They have a micro managing hand on everything.... Employees don't have a say in anything, only the "Managers" assigned to them..... One isn't able to perform the job description to which they were hired for or interviewed. Outside experience isn't looked upon as a positive thing, it's actually discouraged because it will cause a "rocking of the boat" which isn't allowed.

Advice to Management

Look outside the glass bubble, don't follow the "Old School" approach.... It's going to kill the company one day and then you'll have to find another job....

Only work for ADP if it's the only job you can get.

Former Employee - Anonymous Management in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Management in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

If you really need the money. Some of the people will be kind and you'll really like them. Rest assured though that they won't be around for long. If you're a good person you won't be working there for long. You'll be ousted by someone climbing the proverbial corporate ladder.

Cons

Horrible Management, forced to work overtime or be fired. The atmosphere is that of a gladiator ring. Kill or be killed. I didn't even think that existed in our society in this day and age but never the less if you are unwilling to step on your co workers toes, be prepared to be fired.

Advice to Management

Invest a little in middle management and treat them with respect.

Avoid if you value a work-life balance and employee respect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Pros

Salary can be okay,various employee locations.

Cons

Micro-Management, work-life balance is non-existent, poor tranining.

Advice to Management

Provide better overview of job ad proper training, communicate with employees, offer positive feedback.

Showing 2,610 of 2,685 reviews