ADP Reviews

3.5
2,223 Reviews
ADP CEO Carlos A. Rodriguez
Carlos A. Rodriguez

Pros
  • ADP is a solid organization Work/Life balance - getting to work from home (in 155 reviews)

• You're able to work from home remotely in case of something like bad weather or illness (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • What your work/life balance looks like depends on the position held within the company (in 50 reviews)

• Upper Management is lacking, need to bridge the gap from Management to employees (in 42 reviews)

1. Not client focused

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Chennai (India)

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team bonding, Recognition and exposure

Cons

No work life balance, stretching for up to 13 hours, working on weekends, no work life balance

Advice to Management

Treat people like humans and not like machines.

2. Waste of 8 years.

Former Employee - Operations in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Operations in Florence, SC

I worked at ADP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They paid for college tuition.

Cons

Management was horrendous. Pay was very low. Advancement opportunities very limited. Couldn't trust hardly anyone.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with someone competent.

Very limitted growth opportunities.....

I have been working at ADP

Pros

Not a srtessful environment, friendly people, some great clients on he portfolio. Good compensation for a first job when you are coming fresh out of college. Work from home isavailable for full-time employees. Work/life balance is good.

Cons

Very limitted career progression - doesn't matter how hard you are working, all you'll get is a tap on the shoulder. There is a lot of room for a latteral movement but very few opportunities for growth. Even if you get "promoted" you get a change of title and responsibilities but no changein salary.

5. You will feel like your working in 1990. Nothing cutting edge about this company

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only employer in the province that is a fortune 500 company.

Cons

If you have a family forget work life balance. You need to meet year targets that are unrealistic. You work nights and weekends to satisfy management’s targets. Single people tend to do well because they work long days and nights. Everyone around is overweight and the cafeteria food is all greasy foods. People spend long hours on their desks. Forget career progression or development to try to get a certificate or a masters or a MBA while working for this organization. You will be totally drained and will waste your money and time. You need to work for this company for 30 years to become a director. The process to achieve client satisfaction or to help the employees are none existent as Managers are not creative enough or educated enough. Outside hire is non-existent. Job security is none existent. You work like as if it might be your last day. The location that I am station at only has these positions. A cleaner, Sales rep, customer service (Over worked... avoid this department, implementation and that is it. The software has too many issues to ensure customer satisfaction and not friendly in accommodating customized customers wants.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what employees insert into the yearly company surveys. Employers know their work and you should listen to them when they come up with processes to enhance the outcome. We have had many meetings and not once concern brought to the table has been corrected, implemented or followed through.

Welcome to High School

I worked at ADP full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay starts out decent and it is a very stable company. There are some good people but most of the time they leave.

Cons

Bureaucracy taken to a whole new level. Middle management is cliquish. No accountability (it is actually discouraged in some regions). The entire system is broken. Employees actually don't get that they should do it right the first time. By far the worst company I ever worked for. If I could rate them zero stars I would.

Advice to Management

Stop with the trendy phrases and actually invest in your workforce. Encourage accountability and education. Hire enough staff and make sure they understand their jobs.

Acquisition layoff

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ADP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company I worked for was acquired by ADP. They laid me off almost immediately. This is a pro because I dislike working for large companies and I got a good severance

Cons

For the brief time I worked for ADP, I found the senior management I interfaced with to be lie in your face type of people. They seemed to enjoy the secretiveness of the lay off process and promises were made that were never intended to be kept. There was some playing with minds that occurred. I didn't much care so it didn't faze me but some of my co-workers were very upset. The ADP pay is really poor btw.

Advice to Management

I don't want to waste my good ideas giving advice to people who probably aren't interested in receiving feedback from an anonymous source.

8. You are just a number

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at ADP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth (if you live in NJ near corporate headquarters). The controlled chaos of the job will help you develop composure and a strong work ethic.

Cons

Company treats you as a number. No matter how strong of a sales person you might be and how big of numbers you put up, you are always replaceable. There is no attempt to retain employees. It's a sheer numbers game for the company. Although there are many different jobs/opportunities to grow within the organization, management will do everything in its power to reps from trying to advance their career by changing jobs/divisions. Well, as long as the reps are good. Managers ship the under performing reps to other divisions.

While at ADP, i thought compensation was pretty decent, that is, until I started looking outside of ADP for comparable positions. Reps are grossly underpaid. My last year at ADP corporate decided to cut our pay almost up to 30%! Sales Managers have it the absolute worst. They become corporate baby sitters, forced to drive whatever metrics the senior executives need to show that month regardless of whether it has a positive impact on sales. They get paid much less than they did as a sales rep and are forced to micromanage every aspect of their reps day to day.

The one thing i enjoyed the most was getting together with the rest of the sales team for meetings, trainings, etc. They are now moving to PODs and virtual offices. No longer do managers have offices. Reps have temporary/daily workspaces they can rent.

Advice to Management

Start all over again. You have become too big and have lost everything that has made ADP great. There is absolutely no culture and thats a problem. Your solution to growth is adding salespeople and shrinking territories. You can only do that so much. Pay your people better. There are a ton of companies out there that will and you are continuously losing your best talent because of it. Stop worrying so much about what the investors/shareholders will think and start worrying about your people.

Terrible experience

Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Major Accounts District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ADP

Pros

Work/life balance, if you like working on your own

Cons

No field training, no support from upper management, all they care about is numbers. No Team work. Everyone fighting for same accounts. You spend fighting over same accounts more than actually working.

Advice to Management

Find out how you can help employees to be successful, train them and give support

10. Too many politics and favoritism. Beware of bait and switch

I have been working at ADP full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and co-workers
    Company cares about the community and encourages employees to volunteer
    Working remotely occasionally

Cons

Your experience at ADP will vary greatly depending on which department you work in, There are some great leaders on the business and sales side of the house. If you are considering joining product management or IT, think twice before you do. There are some major politics that drive everything to the point of crippling your work and advancement. Favoritism is also so obvious as only a select few get the opportunities and visibility. Claiming credit for other people's work is encouraged or at least is not questioned.

Beware of any promises that are made to you during the hiring process. Make sure you get it in writing and even then they may end up being empty promises. HR is there to protect the managers and company not the employees, so do not bother going to them with any issues. It will do more harm than good.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism and appreciate the employees who actually do the work and make you look good.
    Advice to senior management is to get rid of the incompetent managers who have no place being in those positions. Hire leaders not managers.

Worst company I ever worked for

Current Employee - Product Management in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at ADP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits. Open to telecommuting with no growth potential. String brand name, therefore easy to work with partners and vendors.

Cons

If you like old technology (mainframe and files) and a culture of lazy slackers, work here. They are the next IBM about to go obsolete!

Advice to Management

In order to change the culture, fire everyone who worked there more than 5 years