ADT Security Services

Updated December 20, 2014
2.5

ADT Security Services CEO Naren Gursahaney
Naren Gursahaney

Pros
  • Good benefits, make your own schedule, not require to come into office everyday (in 58 reviews)

• Used to be great benefits but nothing good to say anymore (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • The lead flow seems to not be equally distributed to the sales reps at all (in 42 reviews)

• They treat you as if you were an salaried employee even though you are 100% commission (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't do Small Business

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made money and was able to support myself in the 3 years I was there.

Cons

Pay on close structure,unnecessary wear/tear on car and commission structure is horrible.

Great company with great people.

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work environment, Everyone was there to help in starting.

Cons

The commission thing was kind of tough.

Salary should be increased.

Taught me how to sell

Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good consultative selling training. ADT flew me out to Texas first class for two weeks of training at a hotel with a large group. I learned a lot and had a great time.

- I was lucky enough to have had a manager who was #1 in the country. He had a great attitude and was very optimistic.

- The company provides leads.

- Its pretty easy to meet the 55% gross closing ratio quota.

- They give you and ipad.

- Get paid every week.

- The brand is respected.

- You really help families feel safer.

- If you can sell this stuff, you can probably sell anything.

- Great resume builder.

Cons

- Commission only. You don't sell you don't eat.

- ADT equipment is more expensive.

- Some sales appointments are bad.

- In order to continue getting sales appointments, you need to generate leads on your own (Self Generated Leads -SGLs) from referrals, door knocking, following up with installs from the previous month, calling new homeowners, partnering with realtors and everything else you can imagine. This hunger for SGLs is perhaps based on the theory that a self gen cost the company less to create the appointment (because they didn't compensate a phone sales rep who booked an inbound/outbound appointment?). This mostly is all they talk about. MORE SGLS. The rest is meeting the closing ratio, and selling more equipment.

- You'll need 1-2 SGLs a week or they'll cut your leads off and you'll starve. No one gets fired. They just get starved and quit on their own.

- All the cable companies have entered the market causing downward price pressure and more competition.

- Small authorized dealers have been able to sell systems for free. I used to arrive at sales appointments only to see a super saver coupon with an ADT logo that said the system was free. As a result I'd have to spend 20 minutes explaining thats an "authorized dealer special" and I was corporate so we used different equipment and that my system costs more. Many people thought I was lying.

- This company uses salesforce. The implementation is very poor. Every appointment needs to be dispositioned with granular low-value information i.e.. what type of solution was proposed, what price presented, why they didn't buy and so on. This information that is marginally valuable if the person schedules another appointment later on the down the road. The fact is they didn't buy so you need to start from scratch anyway because the other sales rep may not have done a good presentation.. On an ipad which connects over data, inputting such data on salesforce and be very slow. Upper management actually think the salesforce data is a accurate and extrapolates from bad data. Most people just enter the bare minimum fields.

- Theres a call night. You have to call until you schedule (in sales force) 2 appointments. That can be well over a 100 calls. Management doesn't car if you didn't actually get 2 appointment. No excuses, you better schedule a fake name and address so you can go home.

- Poor cold calling (phone) training.

- This is in home sales, expect to be selling until 10pm some nights 6 days a week. You need to be available from 8pm to 8pm. Its unlikely you will work every hour but these hours aren't very family friendly. Everyday you can schedule two hour off but the appointments are automated and if don't block yourself you can have back to back appointment blocks from morning to night.

- None of these con are back enough to turn away from ADT. Its a good company and I might consider going back.

Upper Management seems to be completely detached from the ground level sales reps. Sales reps have valuable insight to trends in the market but their input (outside of salesforce) doesn't seem to taken to account. There is a culture of arrogance in upper management. I remember hearing a talk from a regional sales director. Within 2 minutes, he felt he need to mention "he made the big bucks".

Working for ADT Security Services for the past 4 years was an experience in change.

Former Employee - Tech 1+ in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Tech 1+ in Irving, TX

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

they have evolved from being a part of TYCO since they split into their own for small business and home security in 2012. The evolution is still in progress as far as ADT having set their own precedence and procedures and getting them right but they are trying and most importantly they are now a Customer obsessed culture.

Cons

The transition has been a hard one and could have been thought out and prioritized a bit better. They brought in some third party company to tell them how to make the customer experience better and without this company having a full understanding of what our dept actually does they suggested unrealistic expectations for us. We as field support agents (techs) are not call center reps, more like data center reps with some tech support, billing, contracts, and other things thrown in the mix.

Stop with the micro-management the third party (has no idea what they are talking about) company suggested and get back to letting us do what we do best and keep on with bettering the customer (our's are field techs) experience. Find ways to make their jobs easier not ours and consequently theirs.

Just Starting

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have no idea what to expect. ADT brand has been in business for over 100 years, bur it seems they have take on a wider role of creating authorized dealers, instead of corporate controlled branches.

Cons

I don't know what to expect. You figure there would be a base salary, but it seems it's straight commission, which is an issue for most. It seems in order to move up the ranks you have to knock on doors and that can get old after awhile especially with some of the reviews I've been reading about the companies lack of customer support after they have been sold on the free security system con. Again, I don't know what to expect, but a part of me says to run away from working for these people. However, I see things through until I prove to myself the rumors are true and then I will exit gracefully.

Improve public opinion and internet relations, because right now the bad press is killing the companies reputation.

Long Time ADT Employee, I have been here almost 13 years. For a while all was good and I was challenged, then sent me

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time

Pros

Stable insurance and stable work.

Cons

no vertical movement, and some of the higher up personnel are leading with a degree in ministry…in sales!

Open your eyes and see those that really make a difference,

It's not what I thought it would be.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The commissions are pretty good. Customer Service will do anything they can to help you when you are in a weird situation. The referral program is tremendous! ADT does seem to actually care about the customers.

Cons

ADT is the largest player in the industry, but the name recognition is not what I thought it would be. More people than I thought have had bad experiences with ADT. I am shocked how many! The training I had in my office and as I watched other new reps was horrible. It was a bunch of waiting around on the Manager while they deal with customer issues. The training was full of a bunch of stuff that ended up being useless. The information I actually needed was learned on the job, which is too late. They do send you for 4 days to a Training class in either Dallas or Jacksonville. The class is pretty good, the Instructors are AWESOME! Everyone I speak to say their Instructor was great. My Instructor, Mr. Z was extremely impressive!

From an operational standpoint, it is a disaster! There are way too many moving parts. Too many phone numbers to call for similar issues. Too many websites as well. I bet I have 25 different user ID's and passwords. It is completely ridiculous! Even my boss who loves ADT thinks so, everyone does.

You are given some leads, but not a minimum amount. You need to sell at least 15 total units in a month and 4-6 of the units need to be self-generated. That's not an actual issue, unless you aren't given enough leads to make sales and get referrals. The lead flow seems to not be equally distributed to the sales reps at all. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes even the best, most experienced reps get less leads for no known reason.

The equipment pricing is expensive.

ADT has authorized dealers who sell to the same customer base and are allowed to offer much better deals than Corporate Reps, such as myself. 100% of the reps in my office think it isn't fair. Why can't the pricing be the same. We lose a bunch of sales to Dealers because they have much better deals to offer, plus when we try to explain it to the Customer, it confuses them!

After shopping other avenues of hime security, ADT is not close the best from a technological standpoint. The equipment works, but it isn't the best by any means. The wireless Cameras are horrible, there are so many tech issues. Plus the Camera system are so expensive most people laugh when you tell them the cost of one Camera.

The sales pressure from your boss can be high, depending on your manager.

ADT Sales Rep Position was voted the 7th worst job in the US. I didn't know that before I took the job.

The company is so big, I'm not sure if you can resolve the big issues. Fix the operations and the cost. Dealers should offer the same exact pricing.

Call Center Supervisor

I have been working at ADT Security Services

Pros

They provide training as needed

Cons

I dont have any challenges here.

Always overtime available and ok work atmosphere

Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Account Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible with time
    Pay is ok
    Ok calls most the time
    Benefits

Cons

Micromanagement
    No Real Growth
    Coworkers sometimes on edge

Sometimes you can make a decision without policies and procedures and on common sense

Great opportunity if you have a passion for sales.

I worked at ADT Security Services

Pros

Great group of coworkers and an awesome encouraging and helpful manager.

Cons

You have to really have a knack for sales to do well in this business.

ADT Security Services Photos