AECOM

AECOM Reviews in Arlington, VA

2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Inside Scoop

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It really depends what team you are on. Some teams really encourage their PCs to take advantages of participating in new business developing (i.e: scoping trips), and others don't want you to get involved at all (to focus ONLY on the program you are managing).

AECOM has over all very good benefits: health, transportation allowances, groups, etc.

Cons

Difficult to move up the chain and get promoted. It is most certainly an all boys club, with only 1 female in a VP role and only a small handful of women in senior management roles. The pay is unfortunately very low as an entry level for the amount of work that is being put in daily.

Former Employee - Project Designer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to Senior Supervisors and Managers

Cons

Very little learning, unclear definition of roles, too many acquisitions causing a lot of confusion, becoming very bureaucratic by the day

Focus on our capability to deliver rather than lyers of paperwork

OK

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Company has good resources and works internationally.

Cons

Management issues regarding staff retention.

A complete waste of time (AECOM Transportation)

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location (Courthouse Arlington)
    Close to Metro
    Nothing else!

Cons

Low compensation
    Managers do not care about the development of their staff
    Staff are very jealous of others and talk behind their backs
    The culture of hiring foreigners and work them like slaves with the promise of sponsoring them...

Change the whole culture

There are better firms to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big firm so there in an inherent job security. This is a big firm, my feedback only applies to to the demand modeling group in Arlington, VA office.

Bagels on every Friday. Yes that is the only undebateable pro I could think off.

Cons

Absolutely no growth, Management totally disconnected with the staff, low to no hikes.

Try to recognize your employee skillset and learn to put them to good use. Learn how to motivate your group and make them feel as a part of your team.

I miss HSMM

Current Employee - Engineer II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AECOM is a large, stable company. The employees are great, for the most part. The work is interesting and it's in a fun location.

Cons

AECOM is too large. Decisions seem to come from HQ in LA. Middle management is moved around so often it's hard to remember who your boss is. We were routinely told to lie on our time cards at one point. I don't see room for advancement. Some departments don't even have CADD standards anymore. There are 3 companies under one roof for at least 2 years now and there doesn't seem to be a plan of total integration yet.

Figure out the redundancy in middle management, and for Pete's sake, get some standards so 2 drawings in the same set of plans don't look different!

Just a number

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company with hands in many types of construction. Worldwide spread and still growing.

Cons

Lay offs of quality individuals where the less efficient still hold their jobs and don't do them! As a worldwide company one would expect that the company would want to expand from within, instead they are laying people off and expecting many to pick up large workloads meant for more than a few. Little room for growth - The company is too large to grow as an individual. You end up getting pigeon holed into something... and likely wont get out! Merit increases of less than 2% when your reviews are outstanding in insulting and disheartening!

Pay attention. Us peons are people too and without us you don't have a company. Reward those who do well and address those who don't and find solutions. Don't push problems under the rug and expect things to just go away. Part time staff should not be leads on projects. Address workplace professionalism & etiquette when individuals are outright rude to colleagues and inappropriate.... I could go on.

Getting worst before it gets better!!

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mega projects and good benefits.

Cons

The middle management promotes among themselves even if it does not make sense. Why will promote a person that have not won any work for the office, why? They have to many young middle management people with no experience or connections. Everywhere that I go is the same thing, you win projects because you prove yourselves as competent and experienced on matter not because you are the president of such and such association or because you know the president of this other association and go golfing with him. AECOM middle management does not have the know how therefore they can't win.

Stop the nonsense and start hiring seasoned experienced people and please let go of the top salaried people (it is killing the morale).

You're Just A Number

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Convenient location near public transportation, cool staff, friends, steady paycheck, gym in building. Have I reached the 20 word minimum yet?

Cons

Share some of the downsides of working at AECOM? "Soul-crushing" and "you're just a number" are the most accurate descriptions of AECOM. When I was laid off last year during one of their many rounds of lay-offs, my manager wasn't even present.

I was with a former operating company that just celebrated its 100th anniversary. Post-merger and after months of mind-games, bending over backwards in the name of "AECOM values", and countless wasted hours spent on pointless "team-building" meetings, I was let go. When AECOM fires you, you have 15 minutes to vacate the premises, and you can't say goodbye to anyone unless they're near your desk. Some random HR representative, that you've never met hovers near you until you leave. If you don't leave within 15 minutes, security is summoned.. And to me, a company that treats you that way when you leave never really cared that you were there in the first place. Employees who were with the previous operating company, some for 20+ years, were just unceremoniously discarded. It's heartbreaking.

At AECOM, you are a number, not a valued employee with a personality and experience. Just a number.

Advice to management? Read these reviews.

Great place for growth

Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned a great deal while working here. Advancement opportunities and mentoring was excellent. The people were the best part and made it so I wanted to come to work everyday. I grew a great deal professionally and was exposed to all aspects of the international development process.

Cons

Expect long hours and quick turnarounds. This is a fast paced environment, which means 60+ hours a week depending on the position you are in. Some people find this invigorating, others find that work is their life. It really depends on the person you are and what you want out of a career.