AECOM Reviews

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

1. Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people. A very large company that knows how to do business around the world. They have a very helpful infrastructure and the company leadership is very good.

Cons

Sometimes the infrastructure (read: policies) prevent rapid reaction to unconventional bids or opportunities. It takes insider knowledge of the company and people to make things happen quickly.

Advice to Management

Build flexibility into your systems and charge your employees with being the entrepreneurs that they are now. You will benefit a lot from their experience in the field.

2. Senior officer who lead Gov't Relations and managed the AECOM PAC with over $2 million in candidate contributions

Former Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM

Pros

There is a lot of prestige and satisfaction working as senior official with a major global firm.

Cons

Company keep merging with other firms and not growing as much organically.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best people in the industry work at AECOM. It was a pleasure to work in a challenging and rewarding environment. The ability to work on large projects that you can see built. Complex projects that require multiple specialties working together. You can choose a path as a generalist or a specialist. Business lines are generally well-coordinated and local area management is very focused on the success of projects and client satisfaction. Flexible work hours are a plus.

Cons

AECOM is a stock price driven business. It buys revenue growth through leveraged large purchases especially in areas it doesn't readily dominate (most recently construction, then energy). While this looks great on paper, it is still an A&E company where people are not motivated only for financial reasons but also because they contribute back to the societies we live in. We take pride in our work; and, therefore, trust the upper management to support this through clear strategies and open dialogue. These buyouts created a giant of a company. There were problems when the company was 5,000, 10,000, and 50,000 employees. Now, 100,000.

Advice to Management

Management has a tough job. First, stop buying others. Then, layoff duplicate senior management and significantly downsize the Business Line overhead (they really don't contribute much other than flying around the US/globe. Instead, invest in the regions and hire / empower 5 to 15 year experienced professionals who will bring you new work. Teach Europe how to do business like professionals. There is a lot of "let's play company" happening in Europe. Transferring US staff to Europe would be a good start, especially to top positions. I bet business would boom in 2 years.

Inside Scoop

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It really depends what team you are on. Some teams really encourage their PCs to take advantages of participating in new business developing (i.e: scoping trips), and others don't want you to get involved at all (to focus ONLY on the program you are managing).

AECOM has over all very good benefits: health, transportation allowances, groups, etc.

Cons

Difficult to move up the chain and get promoted. It is most certainly an all boys club, with only 1 female in a VP role and only a small handful of women in senior management roles. The pay is unfortunately very low as an entry level for the amount of work that is being put in daily.

Former Employee - Project Designer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Designer in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to Senior Supervisors and Managers

Cons

Very little learning, unclear definition of roles, too many acquisitions causing a lot of confusion, becoming very bureaucratic by the day

Advice to Management

Focus on our capability to deliver rather than lyers of paperwork

OK

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Company has good resources and works internationally.

Cons

Management issues regarding staff retention.

A complete waste of time (AECOM Transportation)

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Location (Courthouse Arlington)
    Close to Metro
    Nothing else!

Cons

Low compensation
    Managers do not care about the development of their staff
    Staff are very jealous of others and talk behind their backs
    The culture of hiring foreigners and work them like slaves with the promise of sponsoring them...

Advice to Management

Change the whole culture

There are better firms to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Big firm so there in an inherent job security. This is a big firm, my feedback only applies to to the demand modeling group in Arlington, VA office.

Bagels on every Friday. Yes that is the only undebateable pro I could think off.

Cons

Absolutely no growth, Management totally disconnected with the staff, low to no hikes.

Advice to Management

Try to recognize your employee skillset and learn to put them to good use. Learn how to motivate your group and make them feel as a part of your team.

I miss HSMM

Current Employee - Engineer II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AECOM is a large, stable company. The employees are great, for the most part. The work is interesting and it's in a fun location.

Cons

AECOM is too large. Decisions seem to come from HQ in LA. Middle management is moved around so often it's hard to remember who your boss is. We were routinely told to lie on our time cards at one point. I don't see room for advancement. Some departments don't even have CADD standards anymore. There are 3 companies under one roof for at least 2 years now and there doesn't seem to be a plan of total integration yet.

Advice to Management

Figure out the redundancy in middle management, and for Pete's sake, get some standards so 2 drawings in the same set of plans don't look different!

Just a number

Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Interior Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large Company with hands in many types of construction. Worldwide spread and still growing.

Cons

Lay offs of quality individuals where the less efficient still hold their jobs and don't do them! As a worldwide company one would expect that the company would want to expand from within, instead they are laying people off and expecting many to pick up large workloads meant for more than a few. Little room for growth - The company is too large to grow as an individual. You end up getting pigeon holed into something... and likely wont get out! Merit increases of less than 2% when your reviews are outstanding in insulting and disheartening!

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Us peons are people too and without us you don't have a company. Reward those who do well and address those who don't and find solutions. Don't push problems under the rug and expect things to just go away. Part time staff should not be leads on projects. Address workplace professionalism & etiquette when individuals are outright rude to colleagues and inappropriate.... I could go on.