AECOM Reviews

Updated May 1, 2015
3 reviews filtered by
  • Birmingham, England (UK)
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
1.6
AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke
1 Rating

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management not supportive of employees (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management needs a major overhaul (in 51 reviews)

Abject Misery!

Former Employee - Associate Director in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at AECOM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colleagues and team mates, you will learn financial rigour of running projects (you have to), nothing else.

Cons

Aecom is akin to trench warware, lots of camaraderie among the Tommies on the front line - while the Field Marshals 30 miles behind the line keep throwing us against the guns, time after time, whilst quaffing champagne and slapping themselves on the back for the great job they're doing - meanwhile our careers and our souls are slowly dying. This corporate machine stole my future, they stole my colleagues futures. We worked for a great company, that company was acquired, broken down and thrown away. I have witnessed great person after great person walk out the door, until I finally had to do the same. In the last 12 months alone 25 people in one business unit alone walked away due to the misery.

Advice to Management

In the services industry, particulaly in construction where margins are low and competition fierce, the most important asset a consultancy firm has is their people. Technically excellent, highly capable, well motivated people will sell your firm far better than any marketing line, but, in order to do that they need to believe in what they are selling. If you get the people right, the customers will follow, when the customers come, the fees and the margins (your holy grail) will take care of themselves. Good luck AECOM... you're gonna need it!

2. Great!

Current Intern - Summer Placement Student in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Summer Placement Student in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at AECOM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of responsibilities and great people to work with. Friendly environment and everyone is keen on helping you getting chartered

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

With the improvement of the graduate scheme, keep it up I'd say!

Interesting projects, challenging environment

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at AECOM as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

A good variety of projects, with possibility of foreign postings to mega projects. Also the opportunities to transfer to new fields of experience

Cons

As the company grows larger, it has become "de-personalised" , sometimes used to feel that we were just churning out the paper without too much thought.

Advice to Management

Growth by M&A doesn't necessarily make for a better job

Showing 3 of 1,334 reviews