AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Involved in the leading transportation engineering projects around the world"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Upper management making decisions without regards to the employees that are affected by them"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Like watching a plant slowly wither.

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExposure to many Interesting projects worldwide. There are individual offices that have truly exceptional staff with a strong desire to do quality work.

ConsAECOM is an amalgam of many companies acquired over the last 5 or 6 years. Most of the decision makers are people from the very early acquisitions. As the corporation has grown many of these "early to the party" people have been promoted into jobs for which they have little aptitude or interest. Unfortunately many exceptional people have voluntarily left out frustration. Frustration for not being heard, or worse yet, heard but not understood.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the companies acquired by AECOM were considered "exceptional" for some reason. My advice would be to let them remain exceptional. Don't force one-size-fits-all procedures on a large and diverse enterprise. I watched an office basically disintegrate over a period of a few years as systems and procedures were removed without effective replacements. AECOM would be far better off acting as a large purchasing agent for all the exceptional companies it has acquired.

great exp

I worked at AECOM

Prosknowledgeable staff, wide range of projects

Constends to silo work into groups

Its all about management keeping their jobs

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company is in disarray - nothing positive to say here. Left after former company "merged" with AECOM. Incredibly disappointed with the outcome.

ConsToo many to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that there are staff working below you and that your only job is not kissing up to those above you to stay employed. Live up to your mantra of people being your most important asset.

Very poor organization, ineffective IT strategy and oblivious management. Keep looking.

IT Services (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFor some positions, autonomy. Large infrastructure projects. Initially competitive salary and benefits. Okay severance package.

ConsIf you work in IT, polish up your resume. If you work as a design services professional, don't expect to be efficient or productive. There is seemingly zero understanding about how to, nor concern for, providing high quality technical infrastructure and support. Acceptable response time for software issues is days, not hours. If you do get support, their expertise ends at the typical Microsoft products. Do you use CAD? Make friends with your cube neighbor because you will be figuring a lot out together. Forget BIM... AECOM is years behind the competition in implementation and utilization.
As a prior employee of a profitable, established and technologically advanced firm I watched AECOM slowly reduce our offices to an inefficient, incompetent and inconsequential mess.
Before AECOM acquired our firm, our IT department actually generated revenue through the many extra technical services we provided to our clients! AECOM genuinely did not know what to do with that. They're clumsy accounting systems and staff truly did not have a way to integrate a "positive overhead" operating model.
Within three years AECOM effectively smothered profits, quality and morale to near asphyxiation with their "management straitjacket".
Thousands of amazing, experienced, intelligent and passionate people have left or been let go by this tragically inept corporation. Hundreds of clients have been lost. Acquisitions and downsizing seem to be what they do with the most competence.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot that AECOM would actually follow advice (unless they thought it was their idea) but for posterity's sake here's an idea: trust the experts within your organization. Remember that most of the firms you acquire were successful and try to learn how to incorporate that, not how to shoehorn them into your regressive, short sighted "profit on paper" business model and culture. Be innovative and contribute to the industry. Don't pretend to care about your people, show them.
I don't see any possible way this company can sustain itself under the current operational practices.

Hopeless and Unorganize

Architect (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at AECOM full-time for less than a year

ProsEvery other Friday off if your supervisor lets you.

ConsIncompetent supervisor with big title. They take on projects that are beyond their capabilities. Not a good place unless you want to pick up bad habits and be incompetent yourself. No planning strategy. They hire and then lay you off.

Review

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat benefits, flextime available, great people to work with at the local level.

ConsCorporate management only interested in stockholder approval so you are only a number. Very poor moral. Say they want employee retention but end up laying dedicated people off. No job security no matter if you are a good employee and have been with the company a long time. Constant hiring of upper management to get business into the office without any success. Work loads are heavy because of layoffs and work is not up to employee standards due to these heavy workloads. No education provided unless necessary for safety or to retain accreditations.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of staff and how stressful it is to never know if you will have a job from one week to the next. Try cutting upper management instead of all the worker bees. Recognize you have some awesome people working for you.

Save your self the time.

I T (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, good atmosphere, some nice employees.

ConsI worked with this company for 3 1/2 years and was told that my Department was getting outsourced by another company for cheaper labor in 90 days. Well to add on to that we where told we would receive a severance package and it would be based on the years worked. About a week later I was layed off on the spot and was told that I wouldn't recieve anything because I was layed off. I was disqualified with unemployment because I was layed off. This company will treat you as a number and when its time to pay up they will concoct a plan to get you out the door for the smallest thing so they won't have to pay you a dime. WATCH OUT FOR THIS COMPANY I ADVISE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BACK UP PLAN DO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. P.S MANAGEMENT IS HORRIBLE. THAT'S WHY ALL OF THEIR GOOD EMPLOYEES HAVE ALREADY MOVED ON FROM THIS COMPANY. 80% WENT TO THE CITY THE OTHER 20. WELL JUST LOOK AT LINKEDIN. COM.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake heed to your employees ideas. Build a friendship with your coworkers it makes business and projects a lot more successful.

Poor company culture, unpleasant work environment

Planner (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros* Pay tends to be on par with competitors.
* Large company means opportunities to do work in different markets
* Company wins large-scale projects

Cons* Stock price looms large
* Company lays people off frequently, and no announcements are made. You never know when someone has been cut loose, or why.
* Mid-level managers are expected to perform marketing duties "on their own time." Overhead hours for work pursuits are only approved for VERY large projects. Smaller projects ($50K, $100K) are expected to be won on your own time. When you're spending several hours per week on your own time preparing proposals to continue earning new work, the salary is no longer worth it, because your pay/hour is now considerably lower.
* Remaining employed here means staying billable. If upper management is unable to win work, staff gets cut.
* Company would rather hire someone new than promote from within.
* Annual pay increases are very low, regardless of how you've performed

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is unethical to expect people to win work on their own time. Part of being a project manager is marketing/networking. It is unreasonable to expect project managers to be 100% billable - they need at least a small percentage of overhead hours as well. As it stands, there is little incentive for junior staff to want to move into middle management positions, as it is clear that middle managers are being abused.

sr management is the problem.

Denver, CO

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked with some great people. Good insurance benefits.

ConsSr Management only knows one way to make a profit--cut employees. They walk people out the door with no advance notice and not for doing a bad job but just to cut the budget. They are extremely short-sighted and incompetent. Morale is extremely low. It's like a revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over with a whole new management team.

Review of AECOM

Project Controls Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at AECOM full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic global employment opportunity. Many training resources available. Good pay and benefits.

ConsBecause of the nature of my position (serving a government contract) I feel like an outsider to the AECOM world.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide liaisons for your field employees and allow for opportunities to meet fellow co-workers.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All 675 reviews posted anonymously by AECOM employees.