AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 44 reviews)

It was great until new leadership.

ProsThey have very good benefits.

ConsThe upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work. Company is very top heavy with management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees.

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was always a challenge and I thrive on challenges. The people were great. I really enjoyed my employment and will benefit from the experience for years to come.

ConsLack of resources. Difficulty obtaining needed software and/or equipment. Problems with A/P in getting former employees and small contractors paid for work completed. Noticed on the litigation report that there are 492 lawsuits per year 10 of which are small claims. Can't help but wonder if A/P profiles and does not pay those it considers unlikely to pursue payment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your greatest resource.

Going Down the Drain

Biologist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLove the people I work with

ConsCan't go to conferences, Can't go to trainings, Can't go after work you want. The no go/go process is insane and basically everything is a no/go while high up expensive people contemplate go/no go. Basically, it is like you don't even have a job at your job. No work. Everyone is light! Cost cutting all the time. People are quitting like crazy! I don't know how they can stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink -How can we keep good people? Not how can we save money!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ineffective Integration, lack of brand identity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company, spans many geographic locations

ConsMany including inconsistency across the divisions in all areas including benefits, titles, promotion requirements, office space standards. Treatment and promotion of minorities and women is poor as is opportunities for advancement. Hodge podge of acquisitions has led to lack of corporate identity and direction as well as a lack of clear focus on where the business is headed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Pyramid scheme

Senior Professional (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBig but apart from size there are no other attributes that could be a pro. Growth is all that there is and when the investors money runs dry it will collapse like a house of straw.

ConsDesigned to make a few people wealthy at the expense of the majority having any form of job security and pride in the enterprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll you care about is $, but all the clients care about is value. Talent is leaving, and so will the clients. It's too late to wake up and smell the roses so I guess you continue to sell stock so you're out when the inevitable happens.

Pitiful

Project Billing Specialist (Former Employee) Glen Allen, VA

ProsI met many great colleagues

ConsManagement style was pathetic. The so-called training was just as pathetic. Everyone who knows their job doesn't make them a qualified trainer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate your company and departmental objectives clearly. Then speak on 'how' the team should approach meeting those objectives.

Aside from overhead management overload, this company was excellent to work for.

Geologist I (Former Employee) Fort Collins, CO

ProsGreat experience in the field, hands on learning, a lot of responsibility right off the bat. Great resources in the office as well, very helpful with making you comfortable in the cubicle (if that's possible), and in general very helpful nice people work here. Great benefits and rewarding work.

ConsHaving to constantly record your hours for every little thing that you do. A lot of overtime, stressful work.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of time is wasted recording project-based hours for payment. Instead, encourage strong supervisor relationships with the employees.

Getting Worse Every Day

Structural Engineer I (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey have decent pay and benefits but that is about it. If you're a slacker you can work here for years happily without getting fired.

ConsIf you actually work hard you wont be recognized for it. I consider myself a hard worker. I was working on two projects, each that required about 30 hours each weekly. I was told that I could not charge overtime or even make my hours required known to my department manager because if he found out that there was work available to be given to other workers that were currently unbillable that I would be pulled from the project. So basically I work alot of overtime for no additional pay and no recognition from the person responsible for promotions and raises.

Additionally there seems to be no desire by management to keep their best employees. Anyone who wants to better themselves and actually wants to learn something will leave if they havent already. Managers will loan people out to other departments to make them billable and have no idea what that person worked on come time for yearly reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do things to encourage the employees that are willing to work hard and care about their work.

Executive Management is Evil

ProsGood People, Clients, and Projects

ConsExecutive Management is clueless. Finance runs the company, as shown by recent succession plan. It is a retaliatory culture. If you are not on the right side of the power band, keep your head low. Do some due diligence on the new CEO, interesting history with the justice department. Not sure the board is doing there job. All too busy telling each other they are doing a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality delivery and quality projects and shareholder value will come.
    Having a PR machine that tells everyone you are great, when most know your not is not a good way to earn respect.
    Get some diversity in thinking!!!!!!!

Sinking ship

Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDecent pay and good benefits. Really great co-workers. The Atlanta office is aesthetically pleasing. You learn a lot from working with such talented people. You can add really great projects to your Résumé.

ConsManagement seems to lack respect for their employees. Work is based on contracts, so it is not always guaranteed. Not a comfortable work environment at all. The air is heavy in the Atlanta office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. They are the reason you "look" like you're doing a great job.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!