AECOM

AECOM Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Mar 24, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 45 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pretty Pleased

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLove my co-workers, encourage you to ask questions, and management is approachable. The new open concept makes for a more productive work environment.

ConsThe only thing I don't like is how segregated departments are. Most people really don't associate with people not within their immediate sphere of contact. Not sure if this is out of habit, preference or simply not convenient for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel like we could put better efforts forward with our recruiting process in order to bring in higher caliber prospects

The company used to offer

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe health benefits are amazing.

ConsAECOM recently moved to an open concept office to bolster collaberation amongst teams/business lines. The open concept office is terrible and is distruptive, counterproductive and feels like you are in a call center. AECOM is too internally focused and expects staff to charge clients to review project financials that do not benefit the client but assist regional management in monitoring projects that do not make the unrealistic margins.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example and be more visible to staff. Since moving to the open concept the management table is virtually empty daily with the exception of about two senior leaders, however management stands by its claim that they benefit and enjoy the open concept.

Be very wary about working at AECOM; it will get worse before it gets better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPros: Economy of scale (50,000 employees) and global coverage. Just like Wal-Mart has a competitive advantage with its size, so does AECOM (if that is important to you). Also decent benefits.

ConsThere are just so many bad things these days, but it really started heading downhill two years ago.
    The number one objective of executive management is to drive as much costs out of the organization (read people, rent, equipment, etc.) as possible. The number two objective to stay the world largest A/E firm (huge ego issue for the executive leaders). All other objectives are much less important.

Therefore, management’s attention is internally focused. Clients are a mere secondary concern to senior management and rarely discussed. The message has been heard loud and clear by staff on what's important.

Also, they cannot make their financial plan without 90 percent utilization from staff. If you are not billable or your project ends without another on to move onto; you are expendable. Companies of this size really view people as interchangeable widgets. Mindset is that they can hire another guy just like you in two months.

New office locations have NO individual offices spaces; everyone sits around oversized tables with snazzy ports. I take most of my calls in the hallway. Other offices will be retrofitted this way shortly. Think third world garment factory arrangement with new chairs and good coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the new factory model. I imagine Wall Street will love the intermediate results but I sure don’t want to be working here. Inevitably, market forces will penalize huge organizations that become internally focused, treat their staff as a commodity, and most importantly don’t have clients as their number one focus.

Just a matter of when.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Houston is a sinking ship - don't get on board and if you are on board, get off while there are still some life boats.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits, vacation, cool projects, used to be great people there before upper management screwed everything up.

ConsUpper management has no vision and has no clue what is going on in Houston. With a steady stream of people walking out the door, they couldn't tell us where we were headed, who was leading us there and how we were getting there.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to employees - good luck with the open office concept that will not work. Also, probably shouldn't lay off another 28 year experience project manager on a high profile project the day of the kickoff meeting - doesn't set too good of an example to employees and it doesn't make the client happy either. And you wonder why people are walking out the door? Oh, and an intern quit to go to another company. You know it's bad when the INTERN quits. What was once the great company of "Turner Collie & Braden" has officially collapsed. One more thing - accountability. Under a certain person's watch, the Austin office has prtetty much collapsed, as has San Antonio. The Dallas and Fort Worth offices are on a downward spiral and the Houston office is going down in flames with a mass exodus. AECOM is the laughing stock of Civil Engineering in Houston and it's only going to get worse. However, a certain person is still in charge.

AECOM has to develop a plan

Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits are outstanding for health

ConsToo big - leadership not advanced enough

Advice to Senior ManagementThink before you act and develop a plan just like Engineers do on projects

Mega-project chasing giant who cares more about stock shareholders than its own employees.

Graduate Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOffices and projects across the globe.

ConsNo investment in employees; employees are treated more as plug-and-play resources rather than individuals with careers.

Have worked on many different industrial fronts.

Staff Scientist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWide range of work across many industries.

ConsTechnical advancement has slowed in past years.

Wonderful learning experience with a great company.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsOpportunities to learn and grow within the company/industry.

ConsOne manager was stuck in the dark ages and was against females in the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly have an open-door policy and listen more to employees.

Solid company with great benefits

Project Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHealth insurance is second-to-none.
    Lots of room for growth and advancement.
    Opportunities abound worldwide.

ConsPublicly traded (401k match is in company stock, which doesn't increase in value - check it)
    Houston, Texas branch is set up with unhealthy competition between operating groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of "pitting employees against one another" to try and increase productivity and sales - this works in the short term, but eventually sets up islands within the company and creates a bad overall work environment.

If I don't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all...

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey haven't made an error on my paycheck.

ConsToo many to list...working on career opportunities with other firms.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!