AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 44 reviews)

Your experience with AECOM will vary depending on location.

Project Engineer II (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation seems on par with market
    Lots of technical resources
    People good to work with

ConsVision and leadership of company changes too often
    Morale issues
    Too much focus on cost and shareholders
    Limited available support resources when working in small office

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline initiatives
    Less focus on share prices, more focus on project excellence
    Focus company vision and strategy
    Less organizational changes

Large growing pains during period of frequent acquisitions and mergers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor first several years, enjoyed interesting work and fast advancement, good leadership and direct supervisor. Pay started low but rose quickly with mid-year raises. Good collaboration between several offices.

ConsCompany found it harder and harder to compete on cost in arenas of my greatest interest and background. Very unstable and leadership problems during last several years of tenure. Little comradeship or team feeling in those last years, less and less fun place to be.

A job is a job.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThe work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable.

ConsThere is so much corporate nonsense going on and it is a revolving door. The constant employee turnover is terribly distracting and makes completion of projects very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what the core of your business is going to be and focus on that. Stop offering services that will soon be expunged from the company repertoire.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too big, too political. Good projects, mostly good people.

Professional Engineer (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsMost of the people who work here are great people. The projects are interesting. There is enough variety to gain experience in several areas especially if you're willing to travel.

ConsYou are just a number here. Layoffs are frequent and from my perspective made little sense. It is easy to get pigeonholed and pay is low. Promises of promotions are typically not kept. Platitudes are used to keep you going until the next unkept promise comes to light.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep promises to promote from within. Don't undervalue your good employees. They will eventually leave.

Man they don't know what they are doing.

Planner (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAecom is huge and as a result when it dose move it can capture interesting projects and good assignments

ConsThe acquisition strategy that the firm uses to grow creates 100s of different cultures, silos and turf wars.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the constant reorganizations

Engineering Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsGet to see a big company many different departments and such

ConsEveryone talks openly about lack of raises. Lack of non-technical development. Management looks down on young engineers wanting to learn project management or business skills early in your career

Advice to Senior ManagementMany engineering firms have Leadership development programs, allow young engineers to get into management early and become a leader within first 5 years, not 15 years down the road. Explaining to younger staff that the department head who is in late 30's is very young for his role is not motivating the younger staff.

It's a job

ProsMy co-workers and my boss

ConsManagement are bullies who do not care about the people (This is not company wide it is a division thing)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the old and bring in new management. Not smart to keep leadership after acquisitions

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Inside Scoop

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsIt really depends what team you are on. Some teams really encourage their PCs to take advantages of participating in new business developing (i.e: scoping trips), and others don't want you to get involved at all (to focus ONLY on the program you are managing).

AECOM has over all very good benefits: health, transportation allowances, groups, etc.

ConsDifficult to move up the chain and get promoted. It is most certainly an all boys club, with only 1 female in a VP role and only a small handful of women in senior management roles. The pay is unfortunately very low as an entry level for the amount of work that is being put in daily.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Soul Killing Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI met some of the best people while working here! Talented, friendly folks.

ConsI was miraculously laid off - such a dream come true! Coming from a really great legacy company years ago I watched this unwieldy company unravel. It grew and acquired for no benefit, no value. Quality declined, clients were put off. People who would have retired there have either left because the culture has changed or they were laid off for presumably having too much experience/leadership and thus, too much cost for the company. Instead they replace leaders with junior staff with no experience managing people let alone projects and morale has plummeted. No one works there because they love the company - they may enjoy their colleagues and a paycheck but the company has no morals, no mission (besides making investors money) and no clear direction. Constant reorganization with no results. Hard working, long time staff received 3-figure bonuses while the CEO and others received 6-figure bonuses at the same time. 6-figure bonus. Decision makers are the stereotypical white guys club, women and minorities in management are a rarity and most are glorified admin staff, not managers per se. They've been grandfathered in, not promoted. In my location HR was incompetent and IT support was a joke. I

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in leadership, think about the future, stop growing for the sake of growing. I wish you the best but I have so little hope for you all.

Diverse technical work.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAECOM is a large company with lots of resources. There are interesting jobs all over the globe. Great environment if you are in the right office.

ConsYour experience depends on what office you're in. Some offices are happier than others. As with all large companies, change happens slowly.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!