AECOM Reviews

Reset
2.7
AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management not supportive of employees (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management needs a major overhaul (in 51 reviews)

1,189 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

A Lean, Mean Construction Machine.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at AECOM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities abound at AECOM, for those willing to assert themselves and stand out among the now 100,000 employees. This company has the depth and breadth to win and succeed with managing major marquis projects across the globe. Internal communications and networking tools keep employees connected with each other and our leadership teams. Leadership takes stake in the engagement and satisfaction of their employees, and are currently working diligently to address "improvement opportunities" identified in the 2015 Employee Survey, which received excellent participation.

Cons

It's been almost a year since the announcement of the URS acquisition, and as a legacy employee of a 2011 URS acquisition, I think the transition has gone comparatively well, considering the magnitude. That said, it's a tough time for management now, and stress on middle-managers to maintain project efficiency during an administratively burdensome period is high. It's a bottom-line world, but I think we can strike a better balance with Work/Life as well as employee compensation. Hoping we'll all be better for it once the growing pains run their course.

Advice to Management

Invest in financial, administrative, and HR support services so that PM's can continue to be focused on their clients and project teams - and most importantly, their families.

Low Morale

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

In 2014, AECOM acquired URS Corporation. Overnight the employees count doubled. Management talked highly about the synergy of diverse talents. Opportunity to solve toughest problems of clients in 150 countries. Higher revenue. Cost savings.

Cons

Many of the legacy URS employees lost their professional titles and responsibilities. Some got reassigned/demoted with different responsibilities. Some were let go. Everybody (l-URS) felt concerned about their future. Low morales remains pervasive.

Advice to Management

Recognize and retain talents. Success of the company depends largely on productive employees. Talent retention is very critical. There is a nationwide shortage of talents. And talent acquisition is time-consuming and costly.

Environmental Staff Scientist/Hydrogeologist

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company, spare no expense. Can work independently with little question of the quality of your work

Cons

Managers are just that; managers. They don't know the nuts and bolts (technical) of the business. They keep projects rolling. Lower level guys stay on the road 24/7. Very very very limited room for professional growth or advancement. Your degree does not give you any more say than someone who doesn't have a degree. Politically driven company.

Advice to Management

AECOM is a great company for older people that need benefits for whatever reason. However, the 25 year old with a masters degree out to salt down capital isn't interested in that. They want to be paid. If you want to keep lower level guys that bust tail to keep projects rolling in the field, they need to be significantly compensated for that time they put in. People that have bachelors and or masters degrees went to school for a reason. To be paid more. The roll-over rate will stay high and you will remain a training company for smaller companies that will pay field guys to bust tail. You paid me 45 a year and I am now getting 64 a year to do a simpler, less technical job. I also get a 10% raise annually considering I meet my year-end goals. That's leaps and bounds better than the 1.5% raise AECOM gave me. HA. I will stay loyal to a company that is loyal to me. Lower level guys are an investment. Not a "slot" worker. "He's gone, let's put another guy in his slot". Slot on my friends, slot on :-)

Good people, terrible management

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

- Great people who work very hard and do their best for their clients. - Get to work on world class, interesting projects

Cons

- Terrible management who are concentrated on their own careers. My managers were terrible at looking after their staff and were more focused on their own careers and jobs. Good people managers are neither recognized or rewarded, the focus is purely on the technical work. - AECOM is only good for people who are very career driven and OK with little to no support. If this is OK with you, then there are many place to go and great projects to work on. - There is little support for non-engineers (environmental scientists, planners etc). It's really an engineering company.

Advice to Management

- Focus on the well being of your staff. Instate people managers who are good with people, not just those who win work with clients. - Be more open and honest with staff - Don't undervalue the consultants and senior consultants. They are the ones actually doing most of the work.

Corporate sick but the local people are good work work with.

Current Employee - Project Geologist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Geologist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay as a consultant is good and there are a wide variety of jobs and clients to work with.

Cons

The corporate accounting world is running the whole company and consideration to what is working best takes back seat to what makes more money.

Advice to Management

Bring the company back to the employee. Try and focus on making the day to day stuff more enjoyable. Less bottom dollar and more quality.

Comfortable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

The people are very nice and friendly. The pay is not bad.

Cons

The company goes through too many transitions and lacks direction. It seems very unstable and the lack of unity among different groups of people from various companies does not help. Too many personalities, without proper leadership. Surprisingly with all the acquisitions and changes the work place is rather dull. Office environment is not very exciting.

Advice to Management

Get it together! This place is a mess.

Not much of a design firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Comfortable 9-5 with a good paycheck. The people are nice.

Cons

Not enough drive here. Energy is low and the people come from various acquired companies with very different values and philosophies. Leaders are not effective or efficient. The company overall is not suited for driven young professionals but more so for an older crowd. It is a bit messy with too many changes and no one really knows who is who or what is going on.

Advice to Management

Get it together!

9. Good place with solid work life balance

Current Employee - Engineer II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady amount of work without much down time or too much overtime.

Cons

Corporate policy seems to be set by accounting needs rather than production needs.

10. AECOM internship

Current Employee - Project Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, very intelligent people. Pay is decent, and the workplace is very collaborative and fun. I had the opportunity to visit the project site i played a part in the design of.

Cons

Organization with regard to interns was relatively poor. Didn't make full use of us I felt. In general there was not much to complain about working with the company.

Advice to Management

Management in my case could have been more involved. I felt I had to constantly request more items of work even though many office engineers had too much on their plates that could have been relieved.

not bad

Current Employee - Waste Operator in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Waste Operator in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Competitive wages. And they try to take care of you. Great benefits and its a global company so lots of opportunity

Cons

The dupont schedule on the current project makes life extremely difficult. Going from days to nights is really rough

Advice to Management

Consider eliminating dupont schedule it develops hypertension. We have had people dying of heart attacks. Be your brothers keeper. Yes

Showing 1,189 of 1,240 reviews