AECOM Reviews

Reset
2.7
AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management not supportive of employees (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management needs a major overhaul (in 51 reviews)

1,114 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

A Lean, Mean Construction Machine.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at AECOM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities abound at AECOM, for those willing to assert themselves and stand out among the now 100,000 employees. This company has the depth and breadth to win and succeed with managing major marquis projects across the globe. Internal communications and networking tools keep employees connected with each other and our leadership teams.

Leadership takes stake in the engagement and satisfaction of their employees, and are currently working diligently to address "improvement opportunities" identified in the 2015 Employee Survey, which received excellent participation.

Cons

It's been almost a year since the announcement of the URS acquisition, and as a legacy employee of a 2011 URS acquisition, I think the transition has gone comparatively well, considering the magnitude. That said, it's a tough time for management now, and stress on middle-managers to maintain project efficiency during an administratively burdensome period is high.

It's a bottom-line world, but I think we can strike a better balance with Work/Life as well as employee compensation. Hoping we'll all be better for it once the growing pains run their course.

Advice to Management

Invest in financial, administrative, and HR support services so that PM's can continue to be focused on their clients and project teams - and most importantly, their families.

2. A friendly company to work with

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

A global company that takes care of its employees. I've been working here for a while and love it. The people are great and the company really cares. I'm surprised at the disgruntled employees trying to take out their anger on such a public medium. Don't let this form your perception of the company. Instead, actually go to an office and you'll see what I'm talking about

Cons

It's a corporate MNC so yes, it's serious work that one needs to be detailed oriented for.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for better employee interaction because that's the best way to foster the same environment that I've gotten used to at AECOM.

3. current employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

Unparalleled global reach and world class capabilities.

Cons

It is a large, complex organization which is challenge for some and a opportunity for others.

Proud employee waiting for some needed improvements

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunities, expertise, meaningful projects and large network that comes with being the global industry leader. Performance rating system. Bonuses directly tied to project performance. The company is going through change as it evolves into an unprecedented industry leader which is exciting (just understand it will take some time to work out the bugs).

Cons

Lack of attention to technical training. Performance rating system. IT support is inadequate, particularly in regards to software procurement/management. Technical/production employees are not able to focus on their main job duties due to too much bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Invest in technical training and developing standards. Establish department level budgets so hiring managers can work with individuals to develop specific training plans. Performance rating system is a pro due to its ability to make a difference and push employees to stretch themselves. It is also a major con because of the forced distribution curve expectation of the ratings. Forced distribution of performance ratings is an outdated/failed concept. We lost several talented people as a result due to their objections.

Project Manager

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Has potential, but at the moment the jury is still out.

Cons

From the feedback I've heard URS was a much more organized company. Perhaps AECOM should institute some of their processes.

Pros and cons, plenty of both!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Flexibility! Flexible schedule and plenty of freedom to pick up a variety of project work!

Cons

Aecom has little interest or willingness to train employees in ways that can grow their careers, even if it will help to serve projects. Also, in the past they have been rediculous about layoffs, first the can 10 people and an hour later say we are one of the top performing offices!

8. Better than Most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great support from middle managers and business leads. Some departments are very client focus - environment which keeps them busy. Improvement in training and employee development. Just opportunity to move ahead if ambitious

Cons

Over reliance on one sector at any given time. Following the crown vs leading the crowd. Losing out to more nimble companies due to bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Need Leaders to run the company! Cut down on the bureaucracy

9. A strong company with many internal opportunities for growth and transition.

Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Transportation Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

AECOM is a large company at the top of many of the fields in which it does business.

Cons

Unless you work for a small privately owned company with a large amount of inherent trust in its employees, clients and processes, there will always be red tape.

10. Marketing Specialist

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Technical team are very proficient, highly rated, collaborative, hard-working. All staff on every level are dedicated and knowledgeable.

Cons

Workforce development could be improved.

Advice to Management

Make it clear that hiring and retaining quality people is a priority.

11. Executivee Assistant

Current Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - North Carolina in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful managers and peers. I enjoy my job at AECOM and feel that they treat me very fairly as well as offering great benefits and extremely competitive salary.

Cons

Communication is an issue but not for lack of trying.

Advice to Management

Think from the bottom up and not the top down when making decisions.

Showing 1,114 of 1,172 reviews