AECOM

Updated January 29, 2015
2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Thought this would have been a good move.

Current Employee - Environmental Planner
    Current Employee - Environmental Planner

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits were great, limited opportunities for personal growth and training. If you are unbillable, there's a good chance you will be laid off.

Cons

Not a lot of direction from management.

Good skill development opportunity

I have been working at AECOM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good.

Most importantly, the opportunity for you to develop necessary skillset is superb.

Cons

not very diversified.
    Client base needs to be expanded

Project Engineer (10 Years)

Current Employee - Civil Engineer (Water) in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer (Water) in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Good people to work with. Good work life balance and diversified projects.

Cons

Stagnant career growth, no bonus

Invest in employees that will eventually reap benefits in future.

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best people in the industry work at AECOM. It was a pleasure to work in a challenging and rewarding environment. The ability to work on large projects that you can see built. Complex projects that require multiple specialties working together. You can choose a path as a generalist or a specialist. Business lines are generally well-coordinated and local area management is very focused on the success of projects and client satisfaction. Flexible work hours are a plus.

Cons

AECOM is a stock price driven business. It buys revenue growth through leveraged large purchases especially in areas it doesn't readily dominate (most recently construction, then energy). While this looks great on paper, it is still an A&E company where people are not motivated only for financial reasons but also because they contribute back to the societies we live in. We take pride in our work; and, therefore, trust the upper management to support this through clear strategies and open dialogue. These buyouts created a giant of a company. There were problems when the company was 5,000, 10,000, and 50,000 employees. Now, 100,000.

Management has a tough job. First, stop buying others. Then, layoff duplicate senior management and significantly downsize the Business Line overhead (they really don't contribute much other than flying around the US/globe. Instead, invest in the regions and hire / empower 5 to 15 year experienced professionals who will bring you new work. Teach Europe how to do business like professionals. There is a lot of "let's play company" happening in Europe. Transferring US staff to Europe would be a good start, especially to top positions. I bet business would boom in 2 years.

Great place to work

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

AECOM offers employees the ability to employ their skills on challenging, engaging projects - while also giving them the flexible schedule and strong benefits to keep them happy and productive.

Cons

The laser focus on growth and expanding profits forces on the ground project teams to scramble. Allowing for more overhead/organizational cost would keep things less chaotic and, ultimately, produce better results.

Amazing firm with ample growth opportunities and great benefits

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The scope of their work in making the world a better place; affordable benefits; global presence and CSR dedication as well as employee perks, including 410k, education payment, etc.

Cons

If you work better in a smaller environment it will be hard to get ahead in this mega corporation

Be open to new ideas

Designing projects, developing scope and budgets;overseeing and administrating construction and design process.

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee relations and casual work environment.

Cons

Long and stressful hours. Time and Budget restraints. Inadequate staffing.

Pay employees what they are worth and give raises by merit.

Great work life balance and flexible- big corporate feel.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits- my experience is that they are flexible on hours (when you come in) and people around you are generally supportive.

Cons

Upper management just cares about billable hours, so feels short sighted and a bit cold. Has the feeling of a huge corporation.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked as administrative support for project manager.

Cons

Worked really long hours. 80-100 hours a week, was paid hourly so i didn't mind.

Falsely inflated stock price

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I do and did not see a benefit to working there. Some people were very good to work with and for, some not like everywhere, but the system is bad.

Cons

1. Cash holdings are based upon not paying invoices or expenses for 1-2 months at the end of every quarter. 2. Very unethical where all employees up to managers are told to bill to jobs they did not work on to keep overhead down - including office moves. 3. Poor benefits and no bonus structure outside of officers (up to URS talks). 4. Engineers are asked to work for free to make up for bad management - to keep overhead and losses down. 5. Project assignment estimate time was required to be done on your own time or be charged to another job or assignment. 6. Poor IT support for equipment - very rinky-dink for a huge company. 7. Project Managers were regularly told to lie to vendors for unpaid invoices. 8. Employee qualifications are regularly falsified such as office support people and technicians being listed as engineers. 9. Human resources had no Idea I was even leaving the day before I left - I was in the system receiving email for another 3 weeks after I left. 10. No exit interviews are standard. 11. Very bad raises. Many more, I have collected a backup of fraudulent activity.

It is too late to change it as it is a monster company. As a public company, they have squeezed the boundaries of benefits and operations so tightly, the stock would tumble if the actual overheads were incorporated into the day to day operations.
    To me, it is a fragile company and I removed my money as fast as I could when I left.