AECOM

Updated March 5, 2015
2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

People Centered

Current Employee - Project Controls Manager in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Project Controls Manager in Richmond, KY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AECOM treats the employees like family

Cons

There are still some of the legacy URS folks around who are not part of the AECOM culture

Good place for entry-level interns

Former Employee - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at AECOM

Pros

I had my summer internship with AECOM. I took full participation in the project and had chance to witness how everything went on. Also every one was willing to help me and provide advice.

Cons

Even though I took full participation in the project, I did not do lots of concrete stuff. My main responsibility was data collection, creating tables and charts under the guidance, translation, proofreading... I was told what to do and how to do and I followed. And the things I worked on could be finished by any one with or without professional background.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to be involved with diverse and interesting projects.

Cons

Large organization can feel rigid.

work as an intern,,,,

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

learned a lot of things

Cons

nothing. everything is so good

Great Company

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

AECOM has a great group of people with a "Can Do" attitude. They are professionals to the max and do things right the first time!

Cons

Unfortunately, when they bought URS and doubled in size, they did not take into consideration that they may have to make choices between the people who were loyal to AECOM before the purchase, and those who were loyal to URS. Some departments were eliminated - such as mine. When the dust settles though, they will be a force to be reckoned with!

Keep uour direct reports more informed.

Great company, endless opportunities

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Multi disciplinary, good projects, great people

Cons

Slow to take action, average salary

Good

I worked at AECOM

Pros

Company is very big in size

Cons

Merging with URS to form a very big organization

Great place to work

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

AECOM offers employees the ability to employ their skills on challenging, engaging projects - while also giving them the flexible schedule and strong benefits to keep them happy and productive.

Cons

The laser focus on growth and expanding profits forces on the ground project teams to scramble. Allowing for more overhead/organizational cost would keep things less chaotic and, ultimately, produce better results.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked as administrative support for project manager.

Cons

Worked really long hours. 80-100 hours a week, was paid hourly so i didn't mind.

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best people in the industry work at AECOM. It was a pleasure to work in a challenging and rewarding environment. The ability to work on large projects that you can see built. Complex projects that require multiple specialties working together. You can choose a path as a generalist or a specialist. Business lines are generally well-coordinated and local area management is very focused on the success of projects and client satisfaction. Flexible work hours are a plus.

Cons

AECOM is a stock price driven business. It buys revenue growth through leveraged large purchases especially in areas it doesn't readily dominate (most recently construction, then energy). While this looks great on paper, it is still an A&E company where people are not motivated only for financial reasons but also because they contribute back to the societies we live in. We take pride in our work; and, therefore, trust the upper management to support this through clear strategies and open dialogue. These buyouts created a giant of a company. There were problems when the company was 5,000, 10,000, and 50,000 employees. Now, 100,000.

Management has a tough job. First, stop buying others. Then, layoff duplicate senior management and significantly downsize the Business Line overhead (they really don't contribute much other than flying around the US/globe. Instead, invest in the regions and hire / empower 5 to 15 year experienced professionals who will bring you new work. Teach Europe how to do business like professionals. There is a lot of "let's play company" happening in Europe. Transferring US staff to Europe would be a good start, especially to top positions. I bet business would boom in 2 years.