AECOM

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

AECOM offers employees the ability to employ their skills on challenging, engaging projects - while also giving them the flexible schedule and strong benefits to keep them happy and productive.

Cons

The laser focus on growth and expanding profits forces on the ground project teams to scramble. Allowing for more overhead/organizational cost would keep things less chaotic and, ultimately, produce better results.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Consultant in Springfield, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked as administrative support for project manager.

Cons

Worked really long hours. 80-100 hours a week, was paid hourly so i didn't mind.

Project manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best people in the industry work at AECOM. It was a pleasure to work in a challenging and rewarding environment. The ability to work on large projects that you can see built. Complex projects that require multiple specialties working together. You can choose a path as a generalist or a specialist. Business lines are generally well-coordinated and local area management is very focused on the success of projects and client satisfaction. Flexible work hours are a plus.

Cons

AECOM is a stock price driven business. It buys revenue growth through leveraged large purchases especially in areas it doesn't readily dominate (most recently construction, then energy). While this looks great on paper, it is still an A&E company where people are not motivated only for financial reasons but also because they contribute back to the societies we live in. We take pride in our work; and, therefore, trust the upper management to support this through clear strategies and open dialogue. These buyouts created a giant of a company. There were problems when the company was 5,000, 10,000, and 50,000 employees. Now, 100,000.

Management has a tough job. First, stop buying others. Then, layoff duplicate senior management and significantly downsize the Business Line overhead (they really don't contribute much other than flying around the US/globe. Instead, invest in the regions and hire / empower 5 to 15 year experienced professionals who will bring you new work. Teach Europe how to do business like professionals. There is a lot of "let's play company" happening in Europe. Transferring US staff to Europe would be a good start, especially to top positions. I bet business would boom in 2 years.

World class employer of choice.

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at AECOM as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very high ethical standards. Stellar talent - it is very satisfying to work in an environment where you are regularly impressed and inspired by the calibre of your peers. Genuine work/life balance (and yes, putting in big hours during times of peak project demands is part of the balance)

Cons

The commercial reality of the recent merger with URS Corp. is that some positions and personnel will be made redundant. Very exciting times ahead for those that survive, understandable disappointment for those who are displaced.

Nothing other than keep it up. I personally have not had any negative experiences attributable to management so far. Really!

Great place!

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exciting and challenging work. Great global platform of some of the most iconic projects in the world. Wide array of talent.

Cons

Great place to work.

More opportunity to achieve in carrier

I worked at AECOM

Pros

I worked in AECOM for 6 years in Afghanistan. I promoted few times. It has good reputation from U.S army government. Learning place for anyone who Eagers to learning.

Cons

Some department has management people has less compent and higher management does not correct that.

Employees need more training and manager position people need to professional.

A great opportunity for an entry-level position in government contracting that can lead to management

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, excellent benefits, lots of opportunities for growth and development, incredible willingness to invest in employees, consistent communication from management and executive leadership

Cons

Starting pay is on the low end, contractors do not enjoy all of the same benefits as corporate employees, OneSource is a horrible, yet unavoidable, platform, HR hoops make it difficult to remove problem employees, competing corporate and client demands can result in several hours of overtime/week

Not bad

I worked at AECOM

Pros

nice People good
    Benifits nice
    Location great
    Clients subpar
    Work

Cons

Low salary
    Low raises
    No advancement
    Management
    Bad employee reviews

Your problem

A great place to work

Former Employee - Opcen Director in Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Opcen Director in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at AECOM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very receptive and proactive management team

Cons

Company could do better with the needs of the employee when off duty while in a deployed status and away from home.

AECOM worth the experience

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed almost 8 years working with AECOM in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Despite the workload and challenges I was happy working with everyone in the office. If only me and my family hadn't gone to Canada to migrate I would have still be working for AECOM.

Cons

There can a time that the workload was too much as manpower was not enough. Previous executives who handled me between August 2007 to January 2011 didn't follow the contract that I have signed as an executive assistant which became a reason for not having my salary increased.