AECOM

Updated January 23, 2015
2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Just a holding company

Former Employee - Technician in Whitby, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technician in Whitby, ON (Canada)

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people and varied work experience with a variety of clients and jobs.

Cons

This company had taken some great engineering firms and put a stamp of poorly run multinational mega corporation on them and turned client focused service providers into return to shareholders is the only thing that matters.

Smarten up

What staff management?

Former Employee - Director Level in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
    Former Employee - Director Level in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is towards the top end compared to their competition.

Cons

A total lack of support for staff, i.e. no inductions, no shadowing, no job specifications, no job objectives, no targets, no help, no line management.
    There is no on-boarding worth talking about. HR is limited and not supported or listened to by senior management with SMT paying lip service to good HR practices which would see AECOM in court in Europe / USA!

Top management need to replace the Middle East Senior Management Team with leaders that have empathy and concern for their staff well being.

Management Chaos

Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great engineering opportunities, top infrastructure projects

Cons

CEO fired the new Human Resources Director after only 3 months on the job, a week before the URS merger closed. He was the fourth Human Resources Director in four years.
    General Counsel slot vacant for 18 months. New GC appointed in November. End of November he announces he's leaving.
    90% of top women fired
    Major contact loss at UK Sellafield
    Chaos and fear everywhere

Board needs to step up its oversight of new CEO

Not fun

I worked at AECOM

Pros

There can be a lot of interesting national and international projects to work on and there are many talented people who work there.

Cons

Company is bottom line driven. Cares little for employees and favors profitability over client service. Management is a train wreck.

Become human.

Not concerned with their employees

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They had interesting work, good coworkers, decent salary, large company with lots of resources, free coffee, water and parking spaces.

Cons

Don't run out of work or you will be out the door in no time. I have seen a lot of good talent let go or pushed out over the last few years.

None

Not quite the worst experience of my life, but close.

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AECOM as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Company's location, in the center of downtown Los Angeles, made for great lunches and happy hours. Close to Chinatown and Little Tokyo. Company provides a shuttle from Union Station to their front door, so you can ditch your car and travel via Metrolink if you want to.

Cons

Absolutely zero training. On my first day I was handed a stack of invoices and a checklist. From that day on I was on my own. I struggled through each day, with only that stupid checklist and piles of invoices, 90% of which DID NOT follow the checklist. With the exception of 3 or 4 employees, everyone I worked with had the worst attitudes I had ever encountered. I was looked down upon, condescended to and insulted straight to my face, because I could not do the job 100% perfectly from day 1. One employee complained to my boss that I had sent her an email - which was 100% professional, I was scared of everyone so I took particular care not to insult anybody. My boss took the other employee's side and said "No emails - walk over and talk to her." Even though I had done exactly that 3 times that morning. I had huge deadlines to meet, i could not waste time walking back and forth through this large suite waiting for someone to return to her desk. This was a contract job that was supposed to turn to FTE after 3 months. When 3 months came around I was told they could not hire me and they gave me 2 reasons I didn't buy. But I really didn't care. If I had been offered and accepted that job, I would have been 100% miserable and looking for a new job immediately. Sometimes blessings are disguised as setbacks. Good riddance to them.

TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN your employees. Managers, back up your employees and do not allow co-workers to alienate and cower them. I know this company will be around forever, so I'm sure nothing I say will change ANYTHING. But the management/personnel dynamic at AECOM is pathetic.

Don’t Believe the Fake Positive Reviews for AECOM

Former Employee - Principal in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Principal in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a job and marginally better than being unemployed. They paid me on time. Not everyone was horrible. CBD location.

Cons

This psycho company is so bad that it has its PR people writing fake positive reviews on Glassdoor. When someone writes that it is a “world class employer of choice” and that they have no advice to management other than “keep it up” the odour of rat wafts through the air.

Very high ethical standards? You must be kidding. AECOM is completely unethical and dishonest. It rips off both its employees and clients and cares about nothing except dollars. How's the Clem 7 lawsuit going? AECOM even wrote a letter to the editor of the Engineers Australia magazine falsely advertising how it is so ethical. What a pack of lies.

Stellar talent? Another lie. The real talent left years ago or were made redundant by jealous managers who couldn’t stand having anyone more intelligent than themselves around.

Work/life balance? You work, work, work. You stay late, you work weekends. You get no reward or appreciation. Your personal life is of no consequence to AECOM. All it wants is the last drop of blood out of you and then you will be “displaced” which is the new AECOM word for fired. Don’t expect any loyalty or gratitude from this operation.

Worst career move of my life and there are plenty of others out there who have the same experience.

Disgruntled employees can ruin your reputation and cause a lot of damage. You are just a big bully, and like all bullies, a complete coward.

AECOM has destroyed the Edmonton Office

I worked at AECOM

Pros

there are none of any consequence

Cons

Since being taken over by AECOM the Edmonton UMA office has been decimated; the number of good people - and senior people - that have left over the last 8 years is staggering. It almost seems intentional, there has been so little attention paid to how the office really works, or what makes it competitive in the local market.

Sell the Edmonton office to a firm that can build it up again.

Lesson learned

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at AECOM full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Large corporation involved in almost all engineering aspects.

Cons

Botom line driven, heavy management with no decission freedom. Offices are stressed to find work and increase the utilisation factor.

Find work in a dinamic company.

An OK place to get some work experience right out of college.

Current Employee - Senior Staff in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff in Orange, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employment is highly project orientated and the company hires and lays-off personnel as the requirements of the project change. Consequently, there are almost always job opportunities available for new staff to gain 6 months to 2 years of work experience.

Cons

Management Heavy Corporation. High stress workplace environment. Project budgets are typically tight to unrealistic and there is an entrenched corporate tradition of micromanaging workflow and driving the budgeting responsibility away from management down the chain of command to the staff level. Which is ironic, due to the abundance of upper level management the corporation supports.