AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros:
  • "Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally"
    in 25 reviews
  • "work-life balance is good, office is spacious (because turnover rate is high)"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dissapointing

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Albans, England (UK)

ProsGood maternity/ Paternity policies and some other benefits are good. As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects.

ConsThe business has been struggling over the last few years and has not managed change and integration of other businesses well. Below inflation pay rises and an overall poor benefits package (which has worsened during the downturn) do not help. No company wide programme for development and promotion of staff. No effective training.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your ship in order. Stop talking about change and do it, there are too many managers being paid too much to lose major bids while lower grades have no view on where their careers are taking them within AECOM. It is not enough to only take action after the horse has bolted.

Going Down the Drain

Biologist (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsLove the people I work with

ConsCan't go to conferences, Can't go to trainings, Can't go after work you want. The no go/go process is insane and basically everything is a no/go while high up expensive people contemplate go/no go. Basically, it is like you don't even have a job at your job. No work. Everyone is light! Cost cutting all the time. People are quitting like crazy! I don't know how they can stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink -How can we keep good people? Not how can we save money!

Ineffective Integration, lack of brand identity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company, spans many geographic locations

ConsMany including inconsistency across the divisions in all areas including benefits, titles, promotion requirements, office space standards. Treatment and promotion of minorities and women is poor as is opportunities for advancement. Hodge podge of acquisitions has led to lack of corporate identity and direction as well as a lack of clear focus on where the business is headed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pyramid scheme

Senior Professional (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBig but apart from size there are no other attributes that could be a pro. Growth is all that there is and when the investors money runs dry it will collapse like a house of straw.

ConsDesigned to make a few people wealthy at the expense of the majority having any form of job security and pride in the enterprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll you care about is $, but all the clients care about is value. Talent is leaving, and so will the clients. It's too late to wake up and smell the roses so I guess you continue to sell stock so you're out when the inevitable happens.

Pitiful

Project Billing Specialist (Former Employee)
    Glen Allen, VA

ProsI met many great colleagues

ConsManagement style was pathetic. The so-called training was just as pathetic. Everyone who knows their job doesn't make them a qualified trainer.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to communicate your company and departmental objectives clearly. Then speak on 'how' the team should approach meeting those objectives.

Identity Crisis!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig company, big projects opportunities to transfer globally

ConsThis company is having trouble with the basics of governance!

pure exploitation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork place, environment with multidisciplinary professionals, possibility to access other offices and share information and expertise and get some advice etc

Consbed staff management and very little possibilities for grouth, huge overheads, which makes the deliverables unachivable with limited staff members and time allocation

Executive Management is Evil

ProsGood People, Clients, and Projects

ConsExecutive Management is clueless. Finance runs the company, as shown by recent succession plan. It is a retaliatory culture. If you are not on the right side of the power band, keep your head low. Do some due diligence on the new CEO, interesting history with the justice department. Not sure the board is doing there job. All too busy telling each other they are doing a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality delivery and quality projects and shareholder value will come.
    Having a PR machine that tells everyone you are great, when most know your not is not a good way to earn respect.
    Get some diversity in thinking!!!!!!!

Getting Worse Every Day

Structural Engineer I (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey have decent pay and benefits but that is about it. If you're a slacker you can work here for years happily without getting fired.

ConsIf you actually work hard you wont be recognized for it. I consider myself a hard worker. I was working on two projects, each that required about 30 hours each weekly. I was told that I could not charge overtime or even make my hours required known to my department manager because if he found out that there was work available to be given to other workers that were currently unbillable that I would be pulled from the project. So basically I work alot of overtime for no additional pay and no recognition from the person responsible for promotions and raises.

Additionally there seems to be no desire by management to keep their best employees. Anyone who wants to better themselves and actually wants to learn something will leave if they havent already. Managers will loan people out to other departments to make them billable and have no idea what that person worked on come time for yearly reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually do things to encourage the employees that are willing to work hard and care about their work.

Sick Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros? Free Coffee. Met some good people.

Cons- Unethical management, abusive project managers.Complaints to HR about serious incidents of staff abuse and intimidation were not taken seriously. Standing up for fearful fellow employees was met with an extremely bad performance review, retaliation for the formal complaint.
    - Highest turnover of employees in engineering. So many good people leave.
    - Poor IT and engineering systems management.
    - Cheap, cheap cheap! Cheapest company - period.
    - Completely disorganized workflows and responsibilities.
    - Stress to meet deadlines with lack of resources or time because jobs are 'bought' by underbidding competition.
    - Quality issues as work is rushed out to ensure the next payment of fees.

Advice to Senior ManagementReap what you sow...

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All 756 reviews posted anonymously by AECOM employees.