AECOM Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally (in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees (in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

It wasn't horrible but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great medical benefits and the people I worked with were great

Cons

No stability, layoffs happen often. There doesn't seem to be a corp culture or a clear business direction for the company as a whole.

What a mixed bag!!!

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros are that there are a lot of truly wonderful people who work there, and great opportunities to do amazing stuff. An old boss of mine summed it up succinctly, "The good news about AECOM is that the management sucks [so you can do things you couldn't do in a place that was better managed], the bad news about AECOM is that the management sucks [so you get no direction and no mentoring and no coverage]."

Cons

The segment of AECOM I worked in (IT) was decimated over and over and over, along with most other business lines. They're a company that pays lip service to their "Core Values" like "Integrity" and their "Employees" while repeatedly proving through their actions that they clearly do NOT value these at all.

Wake up and take back the reins of a good company before it's too late, which it may already be. Don't stick your head in the sand and ignore what you don't want to hear, pay attention to your employees. It's not enough just to advertise to your employees that they're important to you, telling them what they want to hear is meaningless - demonstrate that to your employees through your actions.

Even the leaders are confused

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large and high profile projects, fair pay

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of ownership and poor & unhygenic working environment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top-Heavy Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at AECOM for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great coworkers/managers at local level.

Cons

Highest rate of voluntary and involuntary turnover that I've ever seen in a professional organization. Constant layoffs have created a culture of fear, and people are jumping ship left and right to the delight of competitors. AECOM's new standard of short-walled cube farm workspaces, deteriorating benefits, non-existent bonuses/salary increases, chaotic/inefficient systems (IT, AP), little to no remaining project or administrative support staff in local offices, and extremely top heavy and confusing management structure have turned this company into a less than desirable place to work.

If you're going to lay people off, why not start with the six-figure, zero utilization types that are overly abundant in this company? The constant picking off of lower level billable workers is doing nothing for morale or the bottom line.

AECOM worth the experience

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have enjoyed almost 8 years working with AECOM in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Despite the workload and challenges I was happy working with everyone in the office. If only me and my family hadn't gone to Canada to migrate I would have still be working for AECOM.

Cons

There can a time that the workload was too much as manpower was not enough. Previous executives who handled me between August 2007 to January 2011 didn't follow the contract that I have signed as an executive assistant which became a reason for not having my salary increased.

Underwhelming

Current Employee - Senior Professional  in  Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company with many an opportunity to work on some big projects, builds good portfolio that sets you up for future work. Generally, staff benefits are comparable with many of the large firms out there.

Cons

Top heavy management with everyone delegating to everyone else. There is a ridiculous amount of administrative work imposed by corporate with multiple systems seemingly doing the same thing.

Stop focusing on share price. Please focus on your clients and staff. Clients pay the bills and staff are the frontline people delivering the project.

Lead A&P Mechanic

Former Employee - Lead UH-60 Mechanic  in  Shīndand (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Lead UH-60 Mechanic in Shīndand (Afghanistan)

I worked at AECOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Always people quitting, so your chances to bump up are phenominal

Cons

7 days a week, 12 hour shifts. There were no scheduled days off, and you were expected to work an 84 hour week with straight pay... no overtime pay provided. A lot of unqualified and inexperienced mechanics were hired fequently. Terrible company!!!

Better than some

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Juba, Baḩr al Jabal (Sudan)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Juba, Baḩr al Jabal (Sudan)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had allot of autonomy in this position, as well as a large budget for exploring new ideas.

Cons

Home office was useless and seemed only to meddle without contributing.

Spend more time in the field being constructive.

Horrible company for a professional employee to get through some corrupt management strategies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really polished offices with flash 5 star green buildings.

Cons

Employees get pigeon holed and often sidelined and even protected from communicating with fellow peers. No growth for employees to develop and expand their skills. AECOM is all about high level management and good ethical employees have been groomed up by bad eggs.

Overall, it is a good company.

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company brand is strong. Many employees feel proud of being part of the top ranked company in the world. Benefits are good and people are nice. There are so many talented and brilliant people to work with. Compensation is acceptable.

Cons

There are numbers of areas to grow – it is a fast growing company and some parts are not following with the growing speed. Too many steps to go through to execute a project. You find lack of leadership like other companies. There exists politics in departments and the relationship between employees is quite competitive.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!