AECOM

AECOM Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally (in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees (in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Soul Killing Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI met some of the best people while working here! Talented, friendly folks.

ConsI was miraculously laid off - such a dream come true! Coming from a really great legacy company years ago I watched this unwieldy company unravel. It grew and acquired for no benefit, no value. Quality declined, clients were put off. People who would have retired there have either left because the culture has changed or they were laid off for presumably having too much experience/leadership and thus, too much cost for the company. Instead they replace leaders with junior staff with no experience managing people let alone projects and morale has plummeted. No one works there because they love the company - they may enjoy their colleagues and a paycheck but the company has no morals, no mission (besides making investors money) and no clear direction. Constant reorganization with no results. Hard working, long time staff received 3-figure bonuses while the CEO and others received 6-figure bonuses at the same time. 6-figure bonus. Decision makers are the stereotypical white guys club, women and minorities in management are a rarity and most are glorified admin staff, not managers per se. They've been grandfathered in, not promoted. In my location HR was incompetent and IT support was a joke. I

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in leadership, think about the future, stop growing for the sake of growing. I wish you the best but I have so little hope for you all.

You can get lost at this place.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWide variety of engineering disciplines to work with. There are many talented people in this organization.

ConsWhen they are through with you they will throw you out like a piece of garbage. Six weeks after being let go, I got an email begging me to return due to a resignation. I was already signed up with a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineers are rock stars in this business… you can't treat your people like a single mom working at Walmart. It may take a year to replace that person you just lost. A few kind words in person or by phone (not email or text!) go a long way.

Man they don't know what they are doing.

Planner (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsAecom is huge and as a result when it dose move it can capture interesting projects and good assignments

ConsThe acquisition strategy that the firm uses to grow creates 100s of different cultures, silos and turf wars.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the constant reorganizations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Becoming difficult to work here

ProsChallenging, mostly interesting projects.
    Great work experience
    Some site visits
    Projects generate value for clients, unlike for public sector, where sometimes your work is very bureaucratic
    Wonderful coworkers and management at the office level
    Company pays for 1 professional registration (i.e. AIA, APA)

ConsEmployee turnover is high. I've been here longer than over half of my coworkers in my dept in my state, and I've only been here 3 years. I can tell the PMs are being overworked and I will not stay here long enough to be one.
    The company is too top-heavy. PMs must cut costs from labor to stay competitive for winning work, but the effort to sustain management salaries is way too high.
    The transition to our new tech force is terrible.
    AECOM is generally moving toward open-concept offices and reducing employee work space and storage.
    The company continues to implement "cost-saving" measures with the justification that AECOM is too expensive, and it hurts our ability to win work. But the savings never trickle to us.

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize

Interesting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent people to work with. Got to work my eight hours and then go home.

ConsPoor compensation...not competitive at all. They offered to pay for training as an incentive for employment, but when I was ready to take classes it was like pulling teeth to get approvals. The contract I was on had the worse HR staff EVER. Very unprofessional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll management should be replaced!

Local office and regional management great pre-merger. Company-wide? Mediocre at best.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsA great place to network for future job prospects while your peers backstab you on their way to making Principal.

ConsMega corporation. Don't work here if you aspire to anything more than "drone."

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. All of the good ones were either "laid off" or left on their own, so why bother?

Human Resources Specialist

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers. Nice location and building atmosphere.

ConsManagement changes and uncertainty within the Human Resources department.

It's a job

ProsMy co-workers and my boss

ConsManagement are bullies who do not care about the people (This is not company wide it is a division thing)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the old and bring in new management. Not smart to keep leadership after acquisitions

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Inside Scoop

Program Coordinator (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsIt really depends what team you are on. Some teams really encourage their PCs to take advantages of participating in new business developing (i.e: scoping trips), and others don't want you to get involved at all (to focus ONLY on the program you are managing).

AECOM has over all very good benefits: health, transportation allowances, groups, etc.

ConsDifficult to move up the chain and get promoted. It is most certainly an all boys club, with only 1 female in a VP role and only a small handful of women in senior management roles. The pay is unfortunately very low as an entry level for the amount of work that is being put in daily.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

AECOM was the worst company I've ever worked for.

Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe diversity of subsidieries were boiled down to transportation support services.
    I highly recommend that potential hires learn Bently microstation for long term employment.

ConsAs an employee of AECOM, I experienced the termoil of watching talented engineers leave while trying to build our client's confidence in the company's capability and compitance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear upper management,
    The bonus you receive at the end of the fiscal year is at the expense of the disatisfied workers who are over burdened with paperwork and pointless management meetings. Your greed will drive away the best talent from the company's you are acquiring. In the end, only your clients with millions or billions to spend will appreciate the enormity of your company. .

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!