AECOM Reviews

2.6
1,012 Reviews

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally (in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees (in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Management is Useless

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time

Pros

Co-workers are very nice and the occasional employee luncheon was nice too. Oh, the free drinks were definitely a bonus

Cons

Senior Management is dysfunctional, and untrustworthy. They choose to spy on you, and say everything is "OK" to your face then proceed to shove a knife in your back.

Senior Management - Seriously look at your own team, and figure out why the turn-over is so high, because its not us, its "YOU"

Challenging

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities, diverse range of projects, great people to work with for the most part. Management in the field very concerned about well being of the rank and file. Probably one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Cons

All great/good companies have their shortcomings. This one less than most. I can't really complain. If you're looking for a company with absolutely no issues whatsoever, good luck finding Camelot.

Great marketing of services and "values", poor delivery

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AECOM full-time

Pros

Many of the entry-level and mid-level staff are great people. Compensation has been relatively good.

Cons

The quality of leadership has ranged from adequate to abysmal, with management generally disrespecting staff members: setting unrealistic goals for staff in terms of billable hours, layoffs with no notice. Perks like training seem to exist only on paper.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could be better

Former Employee - Senior Professional  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Professional in Chicago, IL

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice co-workers. Some good projects.

Cons

Overall lack of direction. Management was very hierarchical and segmentated. Employees were usually afraid of losing their jobs, which could happen anytime, out of the blue, due to shaky corporate financials. The quality and reputation of each of the design related legacy firms (EDAW, Ellerbe, etc) was greatly diminished with the AECOM merger.

Hopefully the workplace will be more settled as the economy stabilizes.

Strong engineering firm with a global presence.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a global engineering firm that deals with all business lines including transportation, water, environment, construction management and other disciplines. This is a chance to work on major projects to make the world a better place. A great place to work on a multitude of projects.

Cons

Expect to work long hours in order to meet deliverables and demanding project deadlines. Some projects may require relocation or trips to project sites.

Not what you expect from a top-rated Company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The growth experience only came to those who had a Manager or Supervisor helping you out and assisting with your growth.

Cons

Overlooked well qualified, eager employees who were ready to move up and prove themselves to upper management.

Just because an employee is assigned to a specific project / task, don't think they aren't looking at room to grow.

Pretty awful.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good health benefits, nice office, good co-workers at the lower levels; some interesting project opportunities

Cons

Where to start? Pay is below market; project managers are abused and laden with ridiculous amounts of responsibility and accounting tasks; management is top-heavy and out of touch with those actually doing the work; bloated fees make it difficult to compete for work without ripping off clients; the focus is on making money, not doing good work; the atmosphere is that the ax is always over your head, you just don't know when it's going to drop. Just an awful place. Leaving AECOM was one of the best feelings of my life.

Do a better job pretending to care.

Challenging

I worked at AECOM as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

It was always a challenge and I thrive on challenges. The people were great. I really enjoyed my employment and will benefit from the experience for years to come.

Cons

Lack of resources. Difficulty obtaining needed software and/or equipment. Problems with A/P in getting former employees and small contractors paid for work completed. Noticed on the litigation report that there are 492 lawsuits per year 10 of which are small claims. Can't help but wonder if A/P profiles and does not pay those it considers unlikely to pursue payment.

People are your greatest resource.

Going Down the Drain

Current Employee - Biologist  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Biologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love the people I work with

Cons

Can't go to conferences, Can't go to trainings, Can't go after work you want. The no go/go process is insane and basically everything is a no/go while high up expensive people contemplate go/no go. Basically, it is like you don't even have a job at your job. No work. Everyone is light! Cost cutting all the time. People are quitting like crazy! I don't know how they can stay in business.

Think -How can we keep good people? Not how can we save money!

Pyramid scheme

Former Employee - Senior Professional  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Professional in New York, NY

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big but apart from size there are no other attributes that could be a pro. Growth is all that there is and when the investors money runs dry it will collapse like a house of straw.

Cons

Designed to make a few people wealthy at the expense of the majority having any form of job security and pride in the enterprise.

All you care about is $, but all the clients care about is value. Talent is leaving, and so will the clients. It's too late to wake up and smell the roses so I guess you continue to sell stock so you're out when the inevitable happens.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!