AECOM Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
2.7

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • As a large company there are opportunities to work in the middle east and on good projects (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management only cares about shareholders, not employees (in 58 reviews)

• The upper management is not connected with the people actually doing the work (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Accounting Dept is in a state of constant change.

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Company provides very good benefits.

Cons

Company has a shared service department with too much red tape. Various accounting systems/tools that have too many glitches and issues.

Utilization culture

Former Employee - Buildings and Places in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Buildings and Places in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Big, but boring and poor quality product. Too many highly paid non client facing jobs worths who manage by spreadsheets and sell their soul for a salary

Cons

Totally bottom line driven and high staff turnover means this folly will end badly.

It's too late, you're on a crash and burn death spiral

Had an overall good intern experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Portland, ME

I worked at AECOM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work environment was positive. Most people were really good to work a project with. It was a small office so you get to meet everyone. Projects were interesting. Thought office management was conducted well. Learned a lot.

Cons

I was unpaid, but to be fair, it was during the school year. Can be dull at times. Not given a whole lot of responsibility.

Soul Killing Company

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I met some of the best people while working here! Talented, friendly folks.

Cons

I was miraculously laid off - such a dream come true! Coming from a really great legacy company years ago I watched this unwieldy company unravel. It grew and acquired for no benefit, no value. Quality declined, clients were put off. People who would have retired there have either left because the culture has changed or they were laid off for presumably having too much experience/leadership and thus, too much cost for the company. Instead they replace leaders with junior staff with no experience managing people let alone projects and morale has plummeted. No one works there because they love the company - they may enjoy their colleagues and a paycheck but the company has no morals, no mission (besides making investors money) and no clear direction. Constant reorganization with no results. Hard working, long time staff received 3-figure bonuses while the CEO and others received 6-figure bonuses at the same time. 6-figure bonus. Decision makers are the stereotypical white guys club, women and minorities in management are a rarity and most are glorified admin staff, not managers per se. They've been grandfathered in, not promoted. In my location HR was incompetent and IT support was a joke. I

Invest in leadership, think about the future, stop growing for the sake of growing. I wish you the best but I have so little hope for you all.

Nepotism

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new office and good coworkers

Cons

Unreachable simultaneous deadlines, no IT support in house, bad team management. All team overloaded working extra hours that cannot be charged and extremely low salary raise, or no raise at all. So basically they expect you to work for free.

Also is clear the nepotism all over the office. If you are someone's son, cuisine, sister of son's of a friend you have the job.

Revise salary policy and management planing.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Phila, PA

I worked at AECOM full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to see a big company many different departments and such

Cons

Everyone talks openly about lack of raises. Lack of non-technical development. Management looks down on young engineers wanting to learn project management or business skills early in your career

Many engineering firms have Leadership development programs, allow young engineers to get into management early and become a leader within first 5 years, not 15 years down the road. Explaining to younger staff that the department head who is in late 30's is very young for his role is not motivating the younger staff.

No room for management advancement.

I worked at AECOM (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great technical staff that does good work in spite of the bloated management.

Cons

To many layers of management. Company could run better with about 4 less layers of management. No chance for advancement in this good old boy club.

Look in the mirror and around you to see the dead wood you are carrying at all levels. The old cartoon that shows to senior managers talking about staff reductions, one says to the other: "Cut the fat, we are the fat!"

Horrible

I worked at AECOM

Pros

If you have no knowledge of a department you will be promoted to run it

Cons

Good O Boy system at its best

Terrible HR department.

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People I work with are very smart and hard working.

Cons

The HR department never gets back to you and is very difficult to work with. Very understaffed.

Work on training opportunities and being in touch with your employees.

Will it ever get better?

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are really good about making sure employees get paid on time and reimbursed for expenses.

Cons

Limited to no communication between management and staff and between business lines; monthly shifts in what is important to management; APIC, ever decreasing benefits, OneAECOM is very district-focused and limited opportunities are able to break these boundaries. They have failed to incorporate the existing heritage companies to date; what's going to happen with URS?

There is a huge disconnect between upper management and technical staff. Please, please, please communicate with your employees. How many surveys do we need to fill out before you understand that we don't know what you want.