AECOM Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
2.6

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke
Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally (in 27 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees (in 58 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Firm to work for. Experience working with Internationally renowned professionals.

Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager/Senior Architect  in  Doha (Qatar)
    Current Employee - Assistant Project Manager/Senior Architect in Doha (Qatar)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Firm withholds Professional Teams/Qualified people

Cons

Too big a company. Sometimes leaves people unnoticed.

Human Resources

Former Employee - HRM  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - HRM in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Company/Benefits were very competetive

Cons

Too much chaos and confusion with implementing new programs

It was very rewarding.

Former Employee - DESIGNER III
    Former Employee - DESIGNER III

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Given responsibilities I would other companies did not.

Cons

Work Load not so good

Keep your experienced people!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Stakeholder Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Stakeholder Manager, Projects Manager  in  Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Assistant Stakeholder Manager, Projects Manager in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at AECOM full-time for less than a year

Pros

one of the best companies in the world in Consultancy & management domain

Cons

I think no downsides with this company,

N/A

Great people, great projects

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

People are very friendly. There is a very welcoming approach to new people.

Cons

It is very big and hard to work out how things are really done. Also hard to find your path when there are so many option available.

Try to simplify some of the systems.

A Wonderful Summer Job Experience

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

I worked at AECOM

Pros

They gave me lots of responsibility right off the bat. I always had a senior engineer just a phone call away, and in my case, I also had a senior engineer on a job site only a few miles from mine. Any survey help or questions and he was there in a few minutes.

Cons

Because I was only hired as a summer student, I did not get much time off. However, when I did need time to register my truck, when I was sick, or if I had an event to go to the company was very accommodating.

Gokod Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I worked at AECOM

Pros

AECOM at the Warrenville office always had a steady flow of work.

Cons

We were no longer given comp time when we were billable over 40 hours. Instead it was straight pay. I preferred the time off, personally.

The leadership is pretty good; however, some of the email correspondence from one of the secretaries was venty and passive aggressive. We were also required to do 15 minute monthly health and safety audits on coworkers while they performed duties in the office- which was awkward. Overall all, it was a good choice.

Chemistry worked for me and the company, just love working here (till date - ~2+ yrs)

Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer  in  Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Principal Mechanical Engineer in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Great bosses to work for, friendly, approachable, humane (just lucky or, company culture?)
    Freedom in work
    Free and relaxed atmosphere
    Appreciation, even if not necessarily too explicit always
    Opportunities and prospects. The company and leaders are ambitious to continue growth - good for working professionals

Cons

Island culture of working between business groups. Over / under utilization of resources in absence of a good synergy plan
    Too expensive in cases of competitive bidding, it's sad to see interesting project opportunities gone because we are too dear
    Very average salary / perks - not too attractive
    Antiquated project management syste. It's a nightmare to find right drawings/ correspondences etc from an y useless network filing system
    Annoying controls by support stuff (A/c, HR, admin). The support stuff seems more powerful and act as most important people around than project/ technical personnel

Nothing specific. Personally, I am thankful for providing a good workplace to pursue my professional aspirations and (limited) creative satisfactions. When I (had to) return from Australia and joined with you more than 2 years back, I thought in few months/ max a year, will cross the ditch again. It seems more likely now that I may spend rest of my professional career with the organization (had turned down quite a few lucrative offers, presented voluntarily, to go back to Oz). The appreciation and respect has been truly mutual. Thanks

full of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Collegiate environment, recognition based on performance not years of experience. Market leading, great projects. You have a range of career paths, including local or global.

Cons

size means its going to be tough to know everyone in your office. There has been a lot of change which can make it tough to keep track of systems etc

Its important to take the time to connect with staff at all levels through different forums of communication.

Very satisfied as an intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at AECOM

Pros

Excellent direct supervisors and excellent work group
    Good perks like free snacks, drinks, and coffee
    Great starting salary for an intern
    Good office location in a public transportation hub
    Good technology help and good response with supply requests
    Professional yet relaxed atmosphere
    Really encourage long-term career advancement
    Very flexible with working hours, dress code, sick leave, and life-work balance

Cons

It is a huge company, which can be good and bad. It is bad in the sense that all separate entities do not seem fully integrated. Very minimal downsides.
    Being in a downtown environment means traffic is a bear
    No other interns at the office for camaraderie

It's too bad that i am so new that i have not seen the changes that others speak of. I'd love to see a formal internship program implemented, even if for 10 hours per week per employee. Many students need the experience and AECOM is a great place to get it.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!