AECOM

AECOM Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 18, 2014

AECOM President & CEO Michael S. Burke

Michael S. Burke

Pros
  • Great opportunities to work in different offices internationally(in 26 reviews)

• The work-life balance is good with the alternative work week program and pay is reasonable(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • horrible company to with a lot of senior management that do not care about thier employees(in 56 reviews)

• Upper management changes the structure of the organization seemingly ever year(in 45 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting projects

Vice President (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Proshigher than average pay, exciting projects

Consvery bureaucratic, financially driven

Advice to Senior ManagementPM satisfaction should be the primary goal

Going Down the Drain

Biologist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLove the people I work with

ConsCan't go to conferences, Can't go to trainings, Can't go after work you want. The no go/go process is insane and basically everything is a no/go while high up expensive people contemplate go/no go. Basically, it is like you don't even have a job at your job. No work. Everyone is light! Cost cutting all the time. People are quitting like crazy! I don't know how they can stay in business.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink -How can we keep good people? Not how can we save money!

Good

Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Proseverything is great as it is

Consnothing is really that wrong

Advice to Senior Managementnone so far

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worse Job I've Had in 40 Years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFriendly co-workers who want to do a good job.

ConsVery myopically profit-oriented at the expense of employee morale. Employees always warned that they are next in line for layoff if they don't meet billability expectations.
    Does NOT support mentoring, training or professional development despite what their career ads say. Management refuses to pay for training; makes employees pay out of own pocket.
    The people who do the hard work and produce the product don't get the bonuses. Bonuses are only handed out to managers who bullwhip their staff into coming in under budget on projects.
    Top management not trust-worthy-speak out of both sides of mouth.
    Everyone is so fearful of going over budget and charging to overhead that no one helps each other and junior level staff are thrown to the dogs to fend for themselves.
    Salaries not commensurate with cost of living. Benefits are minimal.
    Management has no training in communicating to staff or in conducting performance reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is in free fall. It owes more than the revenues it takes in. It hasn't learned over the past year that "too big to fail" is a myth? Motley Fools advise: SELL YOUR AECOM STOCK!!!!!

Massive International Company

Construction Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsOpportunities to work all over the world. Internal career mobility seems to be encouraged across business lines and departments (balanced matrix organizational structure). Size and breadth of organization provide amazing scope and quality of resources.

Senior Management is extremely focussed on taking a leadership position in advancing the global agenda to address climate change.

ConsAccess to management can be difficult. Most information comes from senior management via email and the company intranet. AECOM has been absorbing smaller companies in recent years. This means company culture is not uniformly present - typically referred to as "growing pains". The professionalism and leadership of senior management hasn't trickled down to the lower levels yet. I'm confident this will improve with time.

Senior Management seems obsessed with taking a leadership position in advancing the global agenda to address climate change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to implement controls and metrics to ensure lower management is developing its human capital. Some of the legacy management lack understanding of AECOM's system for developing human capital.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!