AEG

4.0

AEG CEO Dan Beckerman
Dan Beckerman

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

No training, Bad boss, bad experience!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small discounts at surrounding restaurants for AEG employees

Cons

No training, snobby bosses, people who complain about their job everyday but can't do anything about it. Hey I know there's always drama in every job but, keep some of that to yourself!

Frustrating isn't the word for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AEG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AEG is exciting - they have their hands in everything! I love their ambition and ability to take on new projects (i.e. Farmers Field - NFL stadium in LA) within new markets at whim. They take risks and have the financial backing of billionaire, Philip Anschutz, to make their dreams turn into reality. The business prospects and future of AEG are bright due to their business model, financial backing and lack of any real competitors. I was thrilled to nail the job at AEG and had the best intentions upon accepting my offer letter. I made it to the big leagues... or so I thought.

Cons

Management provides little to no training to their employees (I was trained by a third party consultant), fails to foster growth & does not recognize the work that is being done by each individual. Nor will they back you in discussions with top management. They continually throw hard working people who do the majority of the work under the bus at whim. They burn employees to the ground with unrealistic amounts of work all with deadlines that can't be met unless one succumbs and burns the midnight oil - thus many will ultimately get forced out. I can't tell you the amount of people that I've seen who have been "let go" due to their at will employment clause which they mention 2x in every single job posting/description. Take note, it happens to the best of them. Lastly, if you ask for help or more assistance in managing your workload, you will be belittled and told the deadlines are what they are.

The stiff, corporate, cutthroat, "do or die" environment is not conducive to productivity and creates a very hostile work environment. Management needs to offer training & support their employees. Turnover will remain staggeringly high until you change this mentality. Management also needs to create a team environment where everyone feels they are working together towards a deadline/goal. If that means a manager or director needs to get involved in the work and help out, so be it. Quit with the "he/she didn't get it done in time" - start using "we" and watch how the environment becomes more productive, intuitive & enjoyable to be in.

Great Company, Long Hours, Poor Management

Current Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AEG

Pros

AEG is such a huge company with a lot of potential. The groups they deal with and the events that they handle are by far the best in the world. If your goal is to work in an entertainment company AEG is number 1 for events.

Cons

Unfortunately the Upper management had no communication skills and lacked leadership. Hours were very long 18-20 hours a day and with little to no days off for the first 2 years i was there. We were not allowed any vacation, and employees were always paid late, usually months late. I feel as though you get lost in this huge company, and instead of being treated like an employee you are treated like a number. Office politics were always apparent and the overall environment was very stressful.

If management treated their employees more like people instead of machines they would have less turnover. We are the people that continue to make this company a success and we see little to no recognition. Communication is key to running a successful business and you lack this skill. AEG is such an AMAZING company I can only imagine how much more you could do if you treated your employees with a little respect.

Satisfying work vs. petty political games

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You will learn the entertainment industry from top to bottom at AEG. Fast paced atmosphere with events that never end. There is a great deal of personal satisfaction in pulling off high profile events

Cons

Leadership is more concerned with empire building rather than supporting those who work for them. I personally saw a "manager from hell" who would manipulate his employees to do his bidding by pulling hours and favoring others. This person was a HR disaster in the making but was connected. Document EVERYTHING

You have a great big picture vision but you need to develop upper and mid level leaders to actually lead rather than treat the environment like their own Game of Thrones.

Big company, no advancement

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company allows for a wide variety of opportunities

Cons

Stagnant in terms of advancement, unsafe warehouse conditions

Promote from within, offer better incentives to keep turnover low and dedicate a safer warehouse environment

Great experience with inexperienced management.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great location to work at LA Live and Staples center.

Cons

Hours are long, especially during NBA and NHL season. Off seasons are slow and boring.

Get some people in store management who have prior experience in retail

Really interesting company -- worst of small start-up and large corporate environments

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG full-time (less than an year)

Pros

AEG is a really interesting company, with lots of cool projects and strategies. Most of the people are really nice, smart, and helpful.

Cons

Senior management is very detached and unavailable. There is very little communication about expectations until they are not met. There is no flexibility in when or how things get done, but again no advance communication about it. There were several times when 6 o'clock rolled around, and then I was asked to stay late. Wouldn't have been a problem if it was communicated earlier! Lots of micro-managing, no career development, and little encouragement or gratitude. This is a very large private company that stills acts like a smaller firm. Instead of getting the best of both worlds, this place has the worst of each! I was the 3rd person to leave this particular group in six months. At least 1 more left within 2 months of me, and it's only a group of 5!!!

Get more involved and meet your teams! There are some very toxic environments being maintained because no one is aware (or maybe no one cares?).

A frustrating place to work.

I worked at AEG

Pros

They offer a great package of benefits for all employees. Pay scale is fair but not generous. There are a few great upper level executives.

Cons

Manager's sole concern is the bottom line. Developing talent and managing people are not their strengths. Internal corporate politics destroy all morale.

Merchandise

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AEG full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Perks. Games, Shows.. lots of free merchandise.

Cons

Unreasonable hours. Slightly unprofessional. Im sure there were quite a few HR violations...

This place is only a stepping stone

Current Employee - Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Service Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AEG full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is no salary plan so if you have an uniformed boss, huge salaries can follow.

Cons

The only thing management cares about is the bottom line. Priorities shift on a daily basis and too much time is spent on unproductive ideas only to be scraped when the next wonder woman walks in the door. There is parity in this company and the management hasn't figured out that this is not a mom and pop shop any more.

The poor culture comes from the top and until you change the culture will not change