AEI

AEI President Christopher Demuth
Christopher Demuth

Research Intern

Current Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Free breakfast and lunch
    -Brownbag speakers
    - Working with the best and the brightest
    - Great building with great work culture

Cons

- Difficult to become an assistant although possible
    - Interns don't have as substantial work as they want, but its still a lot better then other places

Keep doing what your doing

Great Internship

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Brilliant people, great food benefits for interns, great place to get cutting-edge work experience.

Cons

Wish that our softball team was better

Research Intern- Economics

Current Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some really awesome people. People here are serious about what they do. YOu can learn lot of new skills. And an AWESOME lunch Kobe steak, Crab ...)

Cons

This place is definitely partisan (right wing). This is not so much the case in the economics departments. ALSO you gotta work for free or for the food

Great place to work

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI full-time

Pros

Best-in-class public policy challenges.

Cons

Salaries for assistant cadre laughably low considering that they raise well over their operating budget every year.

AEI is a good place to work yet ignore problems arising out of gossipers.

I worked at AEI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, somewhat flexible work schedule.

Cons

Not addressing gossip up front in the open.

If there are complaints from another potential competing employee about another employee, address it directly with the employee instead.

Interesting intern work with no chance for employment

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intern opportunities allowed me to do research on relevant current events, polish presentation skills during briefings, and attend meetings on the Hill. The staff is generally invested in building skills with interns, as it will increasing their team's productivity, so there are opportunities to learn skills with software systems and other valuable systems. Interns also get free breakfast and lunch everyday, so you will save quite a bit of money even though you aren't getting paid.

Cons

There are few opportunities to gain visibility with senior staff, conduct analysis, or gain full-time employment. The organization also leans extremely right-of-center, which can have a number of negative consequences. First, you might not feel as though you fit in if you aren't of the same political ideology. Second, and most important, the organization's reputation is very present in DC and you will be judged if you tell people you interned/worked/walked into the building.

Senior management should be more willing to give interns the opportunity to produce analytical work.

Intern

I have been working at AEI as an intern

Pros

I really liked the purpose of the company- to promote free enterprise. I enjoyed working with many other young interns like myself. There are many driven students and employees at AEI who are very passionate about what they do and the purpose of the company, which is to promote free enterprise. Most of my work focused on researching policies that promote free enterprise and publishing information. I felt that AEI was much more socially liberal than anticipated. I liked how we didn't focus on social issues at all. The primary focus is free enterprise. Also, amazing free gourmet buffet every day.

Cons

I wish there had been more training. Also, I would have liked to make some money because D.C. is an expensive city.

Better training for interns.

Smart people, enjoyable and exciting work environment

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You'll work with smart, incredibly dedicated people in every department. The office culture that encourages significant contributions from even its youngest staff (you'll be expected to contribute ideas about the direction of research projects and programs--not just follow orders and protocols). There are a lot of young people who actually enjoy socializing together. Best of all, you'll feel a sense of mission and purpose walking through the doors every day.

Cons

People here tend to lean to the "work" side of "work-life balance", but that's why you're at AEI--because you care about what we're doing enough to put in a little extra.

A learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Free lunch, surrounded by and working with very intellectual people, many events and hearings to attend (usually free)

Cons

I was only an intern for a few months, so I don't have very much to say about cons other than they don't pay their interns. I think one extremely important "con" that should be noted, though it comes with the industry, is that AEI is very right winged (partisan) and very outward about it. If you're not a borderline tea partier, you're not going to feel like you fit in very well.

A wonderful place to start a career in public policy, academia, or government work.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture at AEI can't be beat. Especially among the entry-level employees, there is such positivity in the workplace that it makes being at work much more enjoyable. Because all the entry-level employees are within 1-3 years age of one another, and because many of them are DC-transports, everyone is social and looking for friends. Hard work and good results are extremely valued at AEI - it is definitely a meritocracy. If you work hard and complete quality work, you will be recognized for it. Arthur Brooks and David Gerson (President and Vice President, respectively) truly care about the employees and have a strong commitment to the values AEI stands for, and it's evident in the way they run the ship.

Cons

AEI is most definitely a political place. Regardless of being officially non-partisan, they are 100% conservative, Republican, neo-con, etc. If that side of the spectrum is not where your viewpoints lie, it can be a stifling environment. Your experience there also heavily depends on the department in which you work. In conferences and development departments, the work is menial. Your function is purely to secure donations and make AEI look successful - very nonpartisan, but boring. In the policy area departments, it very much depends on who the Resident Scholar is. The hours are long, crazy, and the work never, ever stops.

There needs to be a much higher level of awareness of the problem-personalities in the office.