AEI Reviews

3.7

AEI President Christopher Demuth
Christopher Demuth

Intern

I have been working at AEI as an intern

Pros

I really liked the purpose of the company- to promote free enterprise. I enjoyed working with many other young interns like myself. There are many driven students and employees at AEI who are very passionate about what they do and the purpose of the company, which is to promote free enterprise. Most of my work focused on researching policies that promote free enterprise and publishing information. I felt that AEI was much more socially liberal than anticipated. I liked how we didn't focus on social issues at all. The primary focus is free enterprise. Also, amazing free gourmet buffet every day.

Cons

I wish there had been more training. Also, I would have liked to make some money because D.C. is an expensive city.

Better training for interns.

Smart people, enjoyable and exciting work environment

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll work with smart, incredibly dedicated people in every department. The office culture that encourages significant contributions from even its youngest staff (you'll be expected to contribute ideas about the direction of research projects and programs--not just follow orders and protocols). There are a lot of young people who actually enjoy socializing together. Best of all, you'll feel a sense of mission and purpose walking through the doors every day.

Cons

People here tend to lean to the "work" side of "work-life balance", but that's why you're at AEI--because you care about what we're doing enough to put in a little extra.

A learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, surrounded by and working with very intellectual people, many events and hearings to attend (usually free)

Cons

I was only an intern for a few months, so I don't have very much to say about cons other than they don't pay their interns. I think one extremely important "con" that should be noted, though it comes with the industry, is that AEI is very right winged (partisan) and very outward about it. If you're not a borderline tea partier, you're not going to feel like you fit in very well.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A wonderful place to start a career in public policy, academia, or government work.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company culture at AEI can't be beat. Especially among the entry-level employees, there is such positivity in the workplace that it makes being at work much more enjoyable. Because all the entry-level employees are within 1-3 years age of one another, and because many of them are DC-transports, everyone is social and looking for friends. Hard work and good results are extremely valued at AEI - it is definitely a meritocracy. If you work hard and complete quality work, you will be recognized for it. Arthur Brooks and David Gerson (President and Vice President, respectively) truly care about the employees and have a strong commitment to the values AEI stands for, and it's evident in the way they run the ship.

Cons

AEI is most definitely a political place. Regardless of being officially non-partisan, they are 100% conservative, Republican, neo-con, etc. If that side of the spectrum is not where your viewpoints lie, it can be a stifling environment. Your experience there also heavily depends on the department in which you work. In conferences and development departments, the work is menial. Your function is purely to secure donations and make AEI look successful - very nonpartisan, but boring. In the policy area departments, it very much depends on who the Resident Scholar is. The hours are long, crazy, and the work never, ever stops.

There needs to be a much higher level of awareness of the problem-personalities in the office.

Good experience, for a while

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at AEI full-time

Pros

For a just out of college twenty something, its a great place to be.

Cons

There's no upside potential, so RAs cycle out fairly quickly.

The HR department is dysfunctional and distrusted.

As an intern, the hours and people were solid -- the pay, not so much.

I have been working at AEI

Pros

Surrounded by smart people, in a nice office with top-flight amenities, work at AEI is often stimulating and always pleasant. There are a lot of great events -- including talks, panel discussions, and visiting presentations from scholars and politicians alike -- and the food selection (which is complementary) is excellent.

Cons

Salary was low -- in my case, as a full-time intern, it was nothing.

Great Internship

I have been working at AEI

Pros

Great, collegial environment. Exposure to very smart and influential people. Many interns do significant work which impacts the work being produced. Best internship experience I have had. And amazing free breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Great environment for an internship

Very productive

I have been working at AEI

Pros

Ability to pursue individual projects

Cons

Team could have been more cohesive.

Intellectual environment

I worked at AEI

Pros

Engaging environment with a unique push to encourage and foster intellectual growth among employees and in the work done for external audiences.

Cons

None come to my mind.

This company is only out for themselves, DO NOT CARE about employees, they are just numbers!

I worked at AEI for more than 5 years

Pros

Good money can be made only if you are a favorite of the boss.

Cons

Where do I start, they could care less if your a person or a thing to be tossed out like the trash.

Get a new job quick.

Worked for AEI? Contribute to the Community!