AEP Reviews in Bridgman, MI

Updated September 29, 2014
3.6

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins
Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job (in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting but strenuous work environment.

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is potential for growth and high safety standards. Strong in cultural and ethics. Constant training and advancement in responsibilities.

Cons

Constant work overload, forfeiting vacation time with no compensation, lack of leadership, negative leadership on accepting questioning attitude, and poor work-life balance.

Management review on supervisor performance from department point of view. Constant training in supervisor roles and responsibilities and leadership, in helping resolve issues and providing support to department and individuals. Controlling work loads and providing training is a must to prosperity.

Loved the company, not the work.

Former Employee - Engineer II in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits. The annual review process was straightforward and, for the most part, the pathway to obtaining raises and promotions was easy to understand. Generally my direct supervision was excellent and coworkers were easy to work with. I felt adequately trained and prepared for all of my responsibilities.

Cons

The work was necessarily monotonous and tedious. There is (obviously) a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get very simple tasks accomplished. Emergency Response responsibilities for salaried employees impacted life outside of work. Refueling outages were also not great for salaried employees when money for overtime was not available (still expected to work long hours and received comp time instead of pay).

Revamp the ERO system so that responsibilities can be lessened for each person. Try to keep employees more engaged with interesting or "exciting" work/projects. Ensure that the metrics and goals being tracked accurately reflect the needs and reality of the site.

traditional electric utility

Former Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I worked at AEP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AEp has been around long enough to be a reliable employer.
    AEP has relatively strong pay and benefits package.
    Office facilities are nice in home office, less attractive in plant assignments
    The company allows transfer between department and job assignments.

Cons

Workplace courtesy and respect does not get the emphasis that assignment completion gets.
    Front line supervisors have too much latitude to set their own personnel policies.
    Reflects nuclear industry trend of reducing engineer capability at nuclear sites in favor of offsite consultants.

Benchmark industry to find out who understands how to get qualified people to accept supervisor and manager positions.

Excellent company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, low travel, great community

Cons

There is a lot of overtime.

Increase staffing in some areas

A little stifling - very stratified company

Current Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP

Pros

Compensation - if the company awards the incentive bonus - is quite high.
    If a person is interested in nuclear plant operation or maintenance, this is a great place to work.
    The location - for a nuclear plant - is a strong plus.

Cons

The company expects all employees to live for work. Don't let a relative in the hospital interfere with your job.
    It is often difficult to get vacation time. One might have to work 16 hour days to get a week off.
    Don’t expect recognition for a job well done.

Management needs to speak with one voice Don't let dissent in supervision dilute priorities.

Stop killing yourself and expecting employees to do the same.

You can not find a better company than AEP

Current Employee - Rotational Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Rotational Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP

Pros

AEP has so many great reasons to work there. The management and team I work with are so competent. I was afraid going into such a big company, but it has not been an issue at all. I get paid so well. The benefits are great and the career developement and safety standards are world class.

Cons

Sometimes management seems to only care about safety standards but I know that is necessary seeing as how we have to keep things safe in a not always so safe workign environment.

I would re-evaluate some of the standards of safety breach disciplinary actions. Besides that, this job is better than anyone could ever ask for.

Mechanical Engineer from Purdue

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP

Pros

I had a hard time in college deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I am a Purdue grad and I learned about AEP at the Engineering Round Table in 2005. I knew I wanted to do a rotational program and what could be better than working at a nuclear power plant? AEP let me hit the ground running and shape my own career. I was hired in with a group of engineers that became my best friends. My bosses are great listeners and instructors and every day on the job I learn something new. I don't feel restricted in my growth and I know this is a very stable company.

Cons

I don't always love when there are issues in the plant and it causes us to operate differently. Outages are good money but very tiring.

My feedback would be that they are doing a great job in this unstable market.

I love my job.

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP

Pros

I really enjoy the opportunities that I have been given as a result of working here. The pay and benefits are nothing to complain about, either. I feel that there is no glass ceiling for me and I can do anything I would want to do. I have made some life long friendships and respect the management. Its not so bad working so close to the beach, either.

Cons

I would say that outages are the only downsides of working at AEP, but. hey, at least the overtime makes up for all of the negatives.

I would say we need to also get into more alternative forms of energy.