AEP

Be The First To
Add Photos

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins

Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits(in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job(in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights(in 4 reviews)

The company lacked consistency in their policy implementation.

Production (Former Employee) Mountain Top, PA

ProsNorth America's number one plastic films manufacturer. They are leaders in their industry. There's opportunity for growth due to their many locations.

ConsI worked in production and logistics - the hours are long, hot in the summer/freezing in the winter. Policy seems to change weekly. Often the policy change inhibited our ability to complete tasks in a timely manner. The result was always mandated overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is the key. It needs to be multidirectional - down, up, and lateral. Your employees at the front line are the eyes and ears of the company. You should pay more attention to that.

My career at AEP was great.

Functional Architect Senior (Former Employee)

ProsThere are good people and opportunities at all levels. The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response. The phone company will leave your service out overnight, but the lights must go on.

ConsCertain jobs, like line mechanics, have a good incentive for overtime. However, sometimes there is just too much of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person has a degree does not necessarily make them management material. Just because someone doesn't have the degree does not necessarily mean that they cannot be prepared for the challenge with some mentoring.

Amazing job, amazing people

Senior Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Hurricane, WV

ProsCulture, work force, a company that truly cares about its employees!

ConsThe disconnection between the front line employees and upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementStay involved in the day to day activities of your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Place to work at

ProsVery Friendly work environment, good incentives

ConsDont really have anything to complain

18 year employee laid off for not moving to Columbus.

Functional Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsDecent pay - good medical/dental benefits (for as long as they keep them anyway). Good 401K.

ConsVery Columbus-centric - they do not like employees in the field to make decisions. I was told on multiple occasions that I was not to do anything without prior clearance of someone in 1RP (company HQ).

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the CSW model that you destroyed during the "merger". Let your people in the field do what is necessary and back off the heavy-handed corporate-centered management model.

Great place to work!

ProsCompensation and bonus program. Decent work-life balance!

ConsPersonal growth, silos, job opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace younger employers and create a better development path.

Great Place

Engineer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGreat Place to work, Good benefits and salary. Good training and documentation of work,could be bogged down by too many procedures.

ConsSupervisors are not very effective leaders. Lot of unnecessary meetings. Promotions are unexplained and adhoc.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership must be shown by actions not by speeches. Do not engage in restructuring unless it is necessary otherwise it is demoralizing.

Too bad AEP laid off so many talented employees in 2013

IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsWas a great company to work for, valued it's employees, excellent benefits, safety a big focus. Employees took pride in their work

ConsNot working in Columbus held back corporate employees located at other locations

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, but I think the 2013 re-alignment did a disservice to many hard working employees. Jobs that were posted as 'available to affected employees only' never really seemed to exist

AEP values employees and facilitates a great work environment.

Transmissions Personnel (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsAEP has great benefits,provides great flexibility, and a great working environment for employees.

ConsVery complex hierarchical corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should facilitate more interaction between employees by perhaps holding more team building events. The company has a large numbers of employees that are broken down into departments and then small groups. I believe that team building within each department will help to help employees get to better know one another and create a more cohesive and productive environment.

The job has been a very good opportunity. Working with both company employees and dealing with the customers.

Meter Reader (Current Employee) Wheeling, WV

ProsThe team aspect that is promoted, as in my brothers keeper... We really look out for one another on a daily bases.

ConsNot much, just some uncertainties of the transition from AEP OHIO to APCO...But it really seems we are headed in a better and more stable direction and has seemed to set a lot of employees at ease....

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really , at each meeting they have been as helpful as to answwer any and all questions to the best of their knowledge.

Worked for AEP? Contribute to the Community!