AEP

Be The First To
Add Photos

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins

Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits(in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job(in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights(in 4 reviews)

The job has been a very good opportunity. Working with both company employees and dealing with the customers.

Meter Reader (Current Employee) Wheeling, WV

ProsThe team aspect that is promoted, as in my brothers keeper... We really look out for one another on a daily bases.

ConsNot much, just some uncertainties of the transition from AEP OHIO to APCO...But it really seems we are headed in a better and more stable direction and has seemed to set a lot of employees at ease....

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really , at each meeting they have been as helpful as to answwer any and all questions to the best of their knowledge.

Great Company to work for

Meter Reader (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits, some friendly people, and reasonable work hours

ConsIncompetent management who lack the ability to lead or manage. NO career advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your department supervisors!!

Brief but good... so far

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe company has the resources to provide a good experience. They have clear goals, and are working within a very strict set of rules.

ConsTraining has been brief so far, and they have layer upon layer of systems in which information is stored where none of them talk to each other. "Change is coming" seems to be something that is said a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a proper internal review of touchpoints, and how information moves through the company. Efficiency is not something that seems to be considered from the vantage of all departments/employee groups.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor

Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) Brilliant, OH

ProsPay check every two weeks

ConsReactive management not Proactive, poor benefits, management, pay-scale, promotions through friends not my knowledge and education,

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, was involved in Lean Process and was told what to say and not to say they didn't want the truth to get out (Cardinal Plant). Be Proactive not Reactive, Ever wonder why Cardinal plant is not in the money look to leadership in place from top to the bottom.

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, people and stability. Employees have a great amount of experience, since the average employee has been working at AEP for 20+ years.

ConsNothing comes to mind. Overall a great company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cross functional collaboration.

Ever changing!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsGreat people to work with in the Tulsa OK area.

ConsUnsure what the company will look like in the future due to automated meter reading, and green energy changes.

Great place to work

Help Desk (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThey take good care of their employees.

ConsLayoffs seem to happen every few years.

Good company but little corporate oversight of field offices

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay and experience, little turnover

ConsLittle corporate oversight of field offices, many workers work long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of the ivory towers and go out into the field to engage with workers more often.

Be ready to work!!

IT Software Developer (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood benefits, people are nice and friendly

ConsOverworked, monotonous processes, senior level and supervisors are rude and arrogant.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to hire people who are smarter than you! Don't underpay people - eventually they will figure out and leave for the company who can pay them their worth.

Very challenging and rewarding ten years of progressive changes and roles.

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsHad some of my most gratifying times at AEP. The company expected every employee at a high level and we were rewarded both monetarily and in our ability to grow our knowledge and skills.

ConsSome silos existed that created some obstacles for those of us who were task oriented and problem solvers. Forced to relocate to Columbus, Ohio and leave family and friends.

Worked for AEP? Contribute to the Community!