AEP

Be The First To
Add Photos

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins

Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits(in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job(in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights(in 4 reviews)

Very good place to work!!!

Journeyman Lineman-Line Mechanic A (Former Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsAwesome people and they really take care of their employees.

ConsNo cons to report about AEP.

Give due consideration to Pros & Cons for work in this Industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Good people at the field and local levels to work with. Departments with minimal required overtime would be acceptable to most people. Electricity is needed continually 365 days a year, and there is always maintenance work to be done so there is continual work.

ConsPUCO push/rush for deregulation over the past 10-15 years has changed the work environment there, and has resulted in significant staffing reductions over the same time period. Front line employees responsible for, or those considering a job for maintaining power flow of the electric grid need to know the amount of work / life / health balance they desire and carefully weight that against the pay and the hours that will be required of them with the current level of front line staffing.

Regulatory pressure on budgets has increased yearly, as well as the work tone of do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue front line employees as a resource to maintain, not a commodity to use up. Make certain that you get what you're paying for. Value good performing employees and recognize them accordingly.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Once was a great place to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsLots of good people who really care about what they do, and their customers. 95+% really try to do the right thing.

ConsFinancial and political pressures have pushed out many of the best, and have left an enviroment of fear, distrust, and more work than can be done with the resources available. Voluntary separations have left too many undesirable people behind (dead wood doesn't prune itself).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at middle management integrity. There are a lot of good people there, but some have survived the past few rounds of cuts by torpedoing potential threats and/or the less politically astute.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Maintenance Superintendent

ProsGood salary & benefits; Solid company

ConsCompany up against industry challenges

Ideal place to make a start

Former Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood work life balance
    Very conducive work culture
    Decent pay package and benefits

ConsSlow career growth
    Conservative
    Archaic mgmt pactices

A rewarding experience with good people.

NE Supervisor (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSafety is number 1, with the ability to stop a job if it something is deemed unsafe.
    The ability to make a good living is their for most people in the organization.
    I think management is trying to do the best it can with the current economic conditions.

ConsDownsizing is causing the Company and Industry to lose good experienced talent.
    More work load with less people seem to be the norm with the same pay.
    An aging workforce will hurt the company in the next 5 years as not enough young talent is being hired and trained utilizing the best teachers (the current workforce) prior to leaving or severenced out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf compensation and raises continues to be stagnant, we will continue to loose good smart talent to the Oil and Gas Industries in all service territories.

Great place to work

Engineer I (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsFor the most part great employees.

ConsSomepolitics that needs to be resolved

traditional electric utility

Engineer (Former Employee) Bridgman, MI

ProsAEp has been around long enough to be a reliable employer.
    AEP has relatively strong pay and benefits package.
    Office facilities are nice in home office, less attractive in plant assignments
    The company allows transfer between department and job assignments.

ConsWorkplace courtesy and respect does not get the emphasis that assignment completion gets.
    Front line supervisors have too much latitude to set their own personnel policies.
    Reflects nuclear industry trend of reducing engineer capability at nuclear sites in favor of offsite consultants.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenchmark industry to find out who understands how to get qualified people to accept supervisor and manager positions.

Know you place and get back to work!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros1) Great people to work with
    2) Lots of opportunities to learn
    3) Plenty of chances move around the company and try new things

Cons1) Lower than average wages
    2) Dwindling benefits
    3) You will ALWAYS take a back seat to the stockholders
    4) Upper management will ALWAYS make Wall Street and their view point their primary concern
    5) If you are looking for company loyalty look somewhere else
    6) 1980's Management style "This is how we did it when I got here (in 82) and that how we do it now" and so on.......

Advice to Senior ManagementI realize that a majority of your annual compensation comes from your stock options which causes you to focus on short-term earnings. However for the good of the company please try to think a little further ahead than the next two to three years. If you hope to retain employees like myself who are still very young and very mobile you need to show us that the company will actually be around in 10 years. However from what I have seen senior management is only concerned with short-term earnings and you could care less about your staff young or old. If things don't change those who can are leaving and you can run this sinking ship into the iceberg by yourselves!

Excellent company

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Bridgman, MI

ProsStability, low travel, great community

ConsThere is a lot of overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease staffing in some areas

Worked for AEP? Contribute to the Community!