AEP

Be The First To
Add Photos

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins

Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits(in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job(in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights(in 4 reviews)

Fourteen years teaching nuclear operators followed by seven years supporting the emergency response organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are great. They are intelligent, hard working and dedicated

ConsEveryone is completely honest. Be prepared to be challenged on everything you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow some room for creativity and the opportunity for personnel to make some mistakes.

Great experience

Coal Equipment Operator (Current Employee) Cason, TX

ProsGreat pay and time off

ConsDifficult work during peak seasons

Not a good place to work

Project Scheduler (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsClose to home. Can work flexible schedule.

ConsManagement is inept and spineless.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a handle on what's really going on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to meet your husband

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI am a mediocre engineer and I've had several different jobs. Probably because I am mediocre. Benefits are good. Great place if you aren't smart.

ConsI went to a second rate private school, so I lack the engineering knowledge that people who went to better schools have.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for hiring me.

Loved the company, not the work.

Engineer II (Former Employee) Bridgman, MI

ProsI felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits. The annual review process was straightforward and, for the most part, the pathway to obtaining raises and promotions was easy to understand. Generally my direct supervision was excellent and coworkers were easy to work with. I felt adequately trained and prepared for all of my responsibilities.

ConsThe work was necessarily monotonous and tedious. There is (obviously) a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get very simple tasks accomplished. Emergency Response responsibilities for salaried employees impacted life outside of work. Refueling outages were also not great for salaried employees when money for overtime was not available (still expected to work long hours and received comp time instead of pay).

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the ERO system so that responsibilities can be lessened for each person. Try to keep employees more engaged with interesting or "exciting" work/projects. Ensure that the metrics and goals being tracked accurately reflect the needs and reality of the site.

Provided a wide range of services to customers in a high volume, 24 hour/7 day a week call center.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent pay and benefits. Provided thorough training and upbeat work environment.

ConsThe overtime during power outage events could be overwhelming and very high stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked for a few different supervisors during my time with AEP. In all honesty, they were all very helpful and encouraging. I was very fortunate to work with some great people who had the experience and empathy to help deal with the high stress.

Best place I ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are very nurturing.

ConsI had a long commute.

AEP Lies

Customer Design Tech II (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI

ProsThere are no pros to working for AEP

ConsThey are a bunch of lying, backstabbing,cheater

Advice to Senior Managementlive up to what you tell your employees

Turbulent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe business itself, that of producing, moving and selling power, is tremendously solid. Even with all of the energy technologies that have developed in recent years, people are going to be buying electricity from the large producers for the foreseeable future, and power isn't yet as portable as stuff, so we won't see generation outsourced overseas.

ConsThe past decade has seen what was a very steady, slow-growth industry transformed by financiers taking an interest in it. Rather than focusing on the uninterrupted provision of a service for a reasonable profit, power companies have moved to maximizing profits for shareholders, largely on the backs of their labor force. Raises disappeared in the early ought's, then bonuses, then they started cutting staff by the thousands, all while demographics clearly indicated an impending shortage of trained, skilled workforce to maintain, let alone upgrade, the aging infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly do not believe anyone in senior positions there would ever pay the slightest attention to anything said here.

Great benefits and co-workers, but IT resources are limited and systems are outdated.

Administrator II (Current Employee) Charleston, WV

ProsBenefits are competitive (medical, dental, vision, FSA, life insurance, etc.). Some departments allow flex-time and telecommuting. Educational assistance plan is great.

ConsThe roll-out of the new "Culture" of AEP is a joke to most employees. Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job. They need to start valuing the physical employees who put their lives on the line every day. A lot of employees are leaving because of outdated computer systems and programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know all of your employees, the ones doing the physical work, office staff, people who work on the boats.

Worked for AEP? Contribute to the Community!