AEP Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

AEP President & CEO Nick Akins
Nick Akins

Pros
  • I felt that the company treated the employees well--great pay and benefits (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job (in 7 reviews)

• Some of the down sides to working for AEP would be long hours and lots of over time on weekends, holidays, and midnights (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

AEP Lies

Current Employee - Customer Design Tech II  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Design Tech II in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at AEP full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working for AEP

Cons

They are a bunch of lying, backstabbing,cheater

live up to what you tell your employees

Turbulent

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at AEP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The business itself, that of producing, moving and selling power, is tremendously solid. Even with all of the energy technologies that have developed in recent years, people are going to be buying electricity from the large producers for the foreseeable future, and power isn't yet as portable as stuff, so we won't see generation outsourced overseas.

Cons

The past decade has seen what was a very steady, slow-growth industry transformed by financiers taking an interest in it. Rather than focusing on the uninterrupted provision of a service for a reasonable profit, power companies have moved to maximizing profits for shareholders, largely on the backs of their labor force. Raises disappeared in the early ought's, then bonuses, then they started cutting staff by the thousands, all while demographics clearly indicated an impending shortage of trained, skilled workforce to maintain, let alone upgrade, the aging infrastructure.

Truly do not believe anyone in senior positions there would ever pay the slightest attention to anything said here.

Great benefits and co-workers, but IT resources are limited and systems are outdated.

Current Employee - Administrator II  in  Charleston, WV
    Current Employee - Administrator II in Charleston, WV

I have been working at AEP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are competitive (medical, dental, vision, FSA, life insurance, etc.). Some departments allow flex-time and telecommuting. Educational assistance plan is great.

Cons

The roll-out of the new "Culture" of AEP is a joke to most employees. Upper management is blind to the average employee, they think every employee is in a white collar job. They need to start valuing the physical employees who put their lives on the line every day. A lot of employees are leaving because of outdated computer systems and programs.

Get to know all of your employees, the ones doing the physical work, office staff, people who work on the boats.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Provided a wide range of services to customers in a high volume, 24 hour/7 day a week call center.

I worked at AEP

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Provided thorough training and upbeat work environment.

Cons

The overtime during power outage events could be overwhelming and very high stress.

I worked for a few different supervisors during my time with AEP. In all honesty, they were all very helpful and encouraging. I was very fortunate to work with some great people who had the experience and empathy to help deal with the high stress.

The company lacked consistency in their policy implementation.

Former Employee - Production  in  Mountain Top, PA
    Former Employee - Production in Mountain Top, PA

I worked at AEP full-time for more than a year

Pros

North America's number one plastic films manufacturer. They are leaders in their industry. There's opportunity for growth due to their many locations.

Cons

I worked in production and logistics - the hours are long, hot in the summer/freezing in the winter. Policy seems to change weekly. Often the policy change inhibited our ability to complete tasks in a timely manner. The result was always mandated overtime.

Communication is the key. It needs to be multidirectional - down, up, and lateral. Your employees at the front line are the eyes and ears of the company. You should pay more attention to that.

My career at AEP was great.

Former Employee - Functional Architect Senior
    Former Employee - Functional Architect Senior

I worked at AEP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are good people and opportunities at all levels. The benefits are good, but work-life balance gets a little out of whack in certain jobs because of the emergency response. The phone company will leave your service out overnight, but the lights must go on.

Cons

Certain jobs, like line mechanics, have a good incentive for overtime. However, sometimes there is just too much of it.

Just because a person has a degree does not necessarily make them management material. Just because someone doesn't have the degree does not necessarily mean that they cannot be prepared for the challenge with some mentoring.

Amazing job, amazing people

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate  in  Hurricane, WV
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Associate in Hurricane, WV

I have been working at AEP for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, work force, a company that truly cares about its employees!

Cons

The disconnection between the front line employees and upper management

Stay involved in the day to day activities of your employees

Amazing Place to work at

I have been working at AEP full-time

Pros

Very Friendly work environment, good incentives

Cons

Dont really have anything to complain

18 year employee laid off for not moving to Columbus.

Former Employee - Functional Systems Analyst  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Functional Systems Analyst in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at AEP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent pay - good medical/dental benefits (for as long as they keep them anyway). Good 401K.

Cons

Very Columbus-centric - they do not like employees in the field to make decisions. I was told on multiple occasions that I was not to do anything without prior clearance of someone in 1RP (company HQ).

Embrace the CSW model that you destroyed during the "merger". Let your people in the field do what is necessary and back off the heavy-handed corporate-centered management model.

Great Place

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Place to work, Good benefits and salary. Good training and documentation of work,could be bogged down by too many procedures.

Cons

Supervisors are not very effective leaders. Lot of unnecessary meetings. Promotions are unexplained and adhoc.

Leadership must be shown by actions not by speeches. Do not engage in restructuring unless it is necessary otherwise it is demoralizing.

Worked for AEP? Contribute to the Community!