AES Corporation

Updated December 8, 2014
4.0

AES Corporation President & CEO Andrés Gluski
Andrés Gluski

Pros
  • As a global company AES offers a wide variety of opportunities working alongside great people (in 12 reviews)

• Interesting global company involved in interesting transactions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You must be strong enough to manage your work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, little recognition and discrimination of women is prevalent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience. Vary diverse company, with global presence and a lot of challenges and learning opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity of Workforce, presence in 20 countries, career development opportunity, great salary and benefits.

Cons

Company's structure has changed a lot in the last years. Some of this changes were necessary, but it takes time for the company and employees to get used to it.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

You’ve pretty much summed it up—AES is full of diverse people working towards an important mission of providing safe, reliable and sustainable energy solutions all around the world. We appreciate ... More

Interesting and dynamic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary and benefits are pretty good for the DC area. Generally interesting work with a lot of opportunity to work with a diverse group of people across the globe. Most of the people I have worked with are great people to be around both inside and outside of work.

Cons

With all the recent cuts the work load has increased for everyone leading to lower quality of work-life balance. This is very much dependent on which group you work for. Company is run by a small subset of people that make most of the decisions with little regard for other people's opinions. Many major decisions are made based on feeling and or relationships rather than logic. Opportunity for advancement is small and generally given to those that are in the inner circle. Decentralized business model misses out on many of the benefits of a global company especially related to shared services. Businesses make decisions for themselves at a local level rather than AES as a global company which eliminates many of the benefits of being a large company.

Utilize everyone's advice to make decisions and not just people in the "inner circle". Centralize major purchasing/ business decisions so that AES can fully utilize the power of being a global company.

10 week Business Development Internship

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at AES Corporation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

worked with very experienced and intelligent professionals.
    provided an intern collaboration project to communicate with other interns.
    International Business environment.

Cons

The interactions between managers and entry level employees were limited.
    A traditional firm with a traditional work environment.

More activities that promote more interactions between senior employees and entry level employees.
    More inter-department activities to let the interns know the functions and people from different department and business within the company.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

This is really valuable feedback. We want to ensure that our interns get the most out of their internship and will share this feedback with our HR team so they can continuously improve our internship ... More

Fast paced, motivating, and diverse, AES is a great place to work for!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: AES has a fast pace working environment. You will be surrounded with diverse, intelligent and energetic co-workers. Most people have the “can do” attitude. The compensation package is very reasonable. AES has a flexible working schedule but most people are working very hard to make sure the goals are accomplished.

Cons

The downside is that there is some inconsistency in leadership styles so it might not always reflect the company’s value. Also, many tiers of management/approvals can cause a delay in completing a project and some great ideas might not get implemented.

Promote teamwork and a platform for open collaboration in a flatter structure.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for leaving your feedback. We agree—we’re an organization full of people with “can do” attitudes. With that said, we hate to hear that you feel there are barriers to implementing new ideas. We ... More

Company growing to Maturity

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have respect for Andres Gluski and the ELT for making hard decisions and cutbacks in recent years. Although selling companies, downsizing, and cutting back on perks are not desirable actions, the long-term savings and benefits far outweigh the short-term negative impact of such changes. Andres and the ELT have a more clear and succinct vision for long-term success and strategy. The leadership is stronger than in past years.

Cons

Promotional opportunities are not prevalent.

Work-life balance is good, but could be better if working remotely was an option to decrease heavy DC commuting times and increase time for family and personal obligations.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

You’re right, as with any company, we must consistently grow, mature and innovate. In doing so, tough decisions have to be made. Every decision we make is to deliver on our mission of providing safe ... More

Manager

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

The company has a very competitive compensation plan and the working hours is flexible as long as you get your work done.

Cons

It can be challenging to have work life balance if you want to meet all the expectation and demand, which most people would normally try to do.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for leaving a review. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner to discuss how to better manage your work/life balance. We want to make sure that you are able to ... More

Energetic, challenging and complex work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to move fast, work on very challenging and complex issues in a global environment then AES is the place for you. The organization is relatively flat so it is easy for senior leadership to identify and see those who work hard and advocate to advance your career in a speedy manner.

Cons

The work is tough and the hours can be somewhat long. There's little micro-management so you can generally work your schedule to meet your personal needs so this is the trade-off and balance. You, however have to manage that balance. Folks should not expect their managers to do that for them.

Continue to stay the course and keep the high level of engagement going.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for your feedback and the advice to management (who are definitely reading these posts). We know there’s not one answer to what a typical day is like at AES, which is why we have flexible work ... More

You Are The Master of Your Own Destiny!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

Great people with passion and energy. Strong focus on driving a consistent corporate culture throughout all locations while understanding that each and every location also has a "local" culture that needs to bee celebrated. Strong focus on global talent management in recent years which gives employees great opportunities to develop and grow their careers inside the company in many different countries and functional areas if they have the potential and desire.

Cons

The company has undergone significant change in the past 2 years. A completely different company is emerging but sometimes the leadership trips up in their change management slipping back to old ways when under pressure. Some old guard still remains and while every effort has been made to "bring them along" there needs to come a time when the tough decisions are made by leadership.

Stay the course and continue to drive the changes necessary for us to realize our vision, mission and strategy. Be willing to make the tough decisions and hold your leaders to the same standards that you are asking them to hold their employees to with respect to behaviors, approach, empowerment, etc.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement. So often we are the ones providing our people with encouragement, and we appreciate your motivational words. We are staying the course to ensure we are ... More

AES - good place to work

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of talented individuals
    -Room for growth if you prove yourself
    -Top tier benefits (compensation, health, vacation)
    -Challenging work
    -Working with colleagues of many cultures around the world
    -A company that actually believes in the Values (Safety First, Honor Commitments, Act with Integrity, Strive for Excellence, Have Fun thru Work)
    -Perks like free espresso drinks, fruit and breakfast bars

Cons

-Middle management doesn't seem to know much about the strategy and generally has no power
    -Procrastination is an issue
    -Reactive, rather than proactive in some cases
    -More training needed
    -Changes happen drastically and suddenly

The ELT has been improving communication efforts within their organizations but there is room for improvement (possibly at lower levels at relaying the message). Explore and encourage talent within, especially at entry or mid levels.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for the feedback. You touched on a lot of important issues. We have some good news though: we are actively trying to improve our people experience. For example, our executive leaders have met ... More

Great company if you like change and taking on new experiences.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People Development - If you are up for challenges, like change, and take responsibility for your own personal and professional development, then AES is a great place to work. AES offers a wide range of opportunities including global assignments. Each experience that AES offers, whether it is within your current role or a new role, comes up often so you really never have time to get bored doing the same thing.

There is a good culture and the people here are diverse and great to work with.

The senior leadership team is very cohesive which helps create a great environment to work in.

Safety Culture - until I started working for AES, I didn’t think about safety first. Now that I work for AES, I consider safety in my everyday life. I also encourage my family to consider safety first. For example I was giving my Dad a recent lecture on how he was going about doing a job within my home where he was helping on a project. I brought it to his attention and he changed the way he was doing the job. Before working for AES I wouldn’t have even thought about it or taken the time to mention it to my father. When AES says they put safety first and it is their number one value, they really mean it.

Cons

Things change all the time. You have to overcome getting discouraged if your priority is no longer a priority for the organization even it was previously identified as a priority.

There is a feeling of hierarchical boundaries which makes it hard to get the job done sometimes.

The culture in Arlington can be very different from cultures that exist in other locations within AES. Hope to see more of the Arlington culture trickle down to areas that are a bit more challenged at creating a culture within their business/location that aligns with the overall AES culture.

I applaud management on all the efforts they are taking to get more visible, communicate more effectively, and encourage input from people. I would recommend putting more emphasis on getting more visible and breaking down the hierarchical boundaries that seem to exist. I would also recommend continuing to focus on how Arlington should interface with each SBU and vice versa. I like that we are continuing to find efficiencies in the way we do business by focusing on where it makes business sense to centralize support functions.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

We love the anecdote about your father. What a great example of living our values both at work and at home. Safety is our first value and we truly do believe we have to be Always On at work, at home ... More