AES Corporation

Updated January 23, 2015
4.0

AES Corporation President & CEO Andrés Gluski
Andrés Gluski

Pros
  • As a global company AES offers a wide variety of opportunities working alongside great people (in 12 reviews)

• Interesting global company involved in interesting transactions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You must be strong enough to manage your work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, little recognition and discrimination of women is prevalent (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

An exciting company that provides interesting challenges and room for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership and direction that is beginning to pay off. Seems to be a concerted effort to provide paths to improvement and promotion in an effort to "build a bench" a few years after layoffs. Very smart people in every department.

Cons

Have to be comfortable with constant change in order to succeed. The recent move to an open office has led to the standard complaints of an open office (too loud/chaotic, loss of productivity).Hours can be long, especially during busy time.

Setting some guidelines/support for work from home could off-set some of the negatives of the new open office, especially with some of the very long commutes in the DC area.

Never Dull

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

AES is a place where there is always a lot going on. Across the organization there are new initiatives, issues challenges etc. that keep everyone busy. In more recent years much of the activity is a result of the company being proactive, so that is a good thing. I feel like I am always learning. The other great thing about working here is the people: smart, hard working, team players who are usually good fun to work with as well. Also, the team here in Arlington is very diverse: we have people here from so many different countries and with many different experiences. This helps to make the experience here both professionally and personally rewarding.

Cons

The pace is fast and sometimes the hours and the pressure are a challenge. It can go in cycles. When things are really tough you just need to hang in there and work through the challenges until things get somewhat normal.

Make sure that we are not over ambitious with how much we aim to do at once. Set clear priorities and decide which things will be done later rather than now.

AES Corporate office

I have been working at AES Corporation

Pros

Good Salary and Great Bonus

Cons

Open sycophancy in every department. We used to be known for our diversity and openness. Now it is going towards lip service.
    Bad working conditions.

Introspect, please. Hiring or promoting people should not be about who you know but what skills you possess. It used to be a good company, make it great.

Change is constant

I have been working at AES Corporation

Pros

focused on safety, global company provides opportunities

Cons

lots of change, difficult to gauge corporate direction

Interesting and dynamic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits are pretty good for the DC area. Generally interesting work with a lot of opportunity to work with a diverse group of people across the globe. Most of the people I have worked with are great people to be around both inside and outside of work.

Cons

With all the recent cuts the work load has increased for everyone leading to lower quality of work-life balance. This is very much dependent on which group you work for. Company is run by a small subset of people that make most of the decisions with little regard for other people's opinions. Many major decisions are made based on feeling and or relationships rather than logic. Opportunity for advancement is small and generally given to those that are in the inner circle. Decentralized business model misses out on many of the benefits of a global company especially related to shared services. Businesses make decisions for themselves at a local level rather than AES as a global company which eliminates many of the benefits of being a large company.

Utilize everyone's advice to make decisions and not just people in the "inner circle". Centralize major purchasing/ business decisions so that AES can fully utilize the power of being a global company.

Great experience. Vary diverse company, with global presence and a lot of challenges and learning opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity of Workforce, presence in 20 countries, career development opportunity, great salary and benefits.

Cons

Company's structure has changed a lot in the last years. Some of this changes were necessary, but it takes time for the company and employees to get used to it.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

You’ve pretty much summed it up—AES is full of diverse people working towards an important mission of providing safe, reliable and sustainable energy solutions all around the world. We appreciate ... More

10 week Business Development Internship

Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at AES Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

worked with very experienced and intelligent professionals.
    provided an intern collaboration project to communicate with other interns.
    International Business environment.

Cons

The interactions between managers and entry level employees were limited.
    A traditional firm with a traditional work environment.

More activities that promote more interactions between senior employees and entry level employees.
    More inter-department activities to let the interns know the functions and people from different department and business within the company.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

This is really valuable feedback. We want to ensure that our interns get the most out of their internship and will share this feedback with our HR team so they can continuously improve our internship ... More

Fast paced, motivating, and diverse, AES is a great place to work for!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: AES has a fast pace working environment. You will be surrounded with diverse, intelligent and energetic co-workers. Most people have the “can do” attitude. The compensation package is very reasonable. AES has a flexible working schedule but most people are working very hard to make sure the goals are accomplished.

Cons

The downside is that there is some inconsistency in leadership styles so it might not always reflect the company’s value. Also, many tiers of management/approvals can cause a delay in completing a project and some great ideas might not get implemented.

Promote teamwork and a platform for open collaboration in a flatter structure.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for leaving your feedback. We agree—we’re an organization full of people with “can do” attitudes. With that said, we hate to hear that you feel there are barriers to implementing new ideas. We ... More

Company growing to Maturity

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have respect for Andres Gluski and the ELT for making hard decisions and cutbacks in recent years. Although selling companies, downsizing, and cutting back on perks are not desirable actions, the long-term savings and benefits far outweigh the short-term negative impact of such changes. Andres and the ELT have a more clear and succinct vision for long-term success and strategy. The leadership is stronger than in past years.

Cons

Promotional opportunities are not prevalent.

Work-life balance is good, but could be better if working remotely was an option to decrease heavy DC commuting times and increase time for family and personal obligations.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

You’re right, as with any company, we must consistently grow, mature and innovate. In doing so, tough decisions have to be made. Every decision we make is to deliver on our mission of providing safe ... More

Manager

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

The company has a very competitive compensation plan and the working hours is flexible as long as you get your work done.

Cons

It can be challenging to have work life balance if you want to meet all the expectation and demand, which most people would normally try to do.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for leaving a review. We encourage you to reach out to your manager or HR business partner to discuss how to better manage your work/life balance. We want to make sure that you are able to ... More