AES Corporation Reviews

118 reviews filtered by
3.8
AES Corporation President & CEO Andrés Gluski
Andrés Gluski

Pros
  • As a global company AES offers a wide variety of opportunities working alongside great people (in 12 reviews)

• Interesting global company involved in interesting transactions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You must be strong enough to manage your work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• AES has gone through a lot of changes and reorganizations in the last 10 years (in 4 reviews)

1. An exciting company that provides interesting challenges and room for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership and direction that is beginning to pay off. Seems to be a concerted effort to provide paths to improvement and promotion in an effort to "build a bench" a few years after layoffs. Very smart people in every department.

Cons

Have to be comfortable with constant change in order to succeed. The recent move to an open office has led to the standard complaints of an open office (too loud/chaotic, loss of productivity).Hours can be long, especially during busy time.

Setting some guidelines/support for work from home could off-set some of the negatives of the new open office, especially with some of the very long commutes in the DC area.

Dynamic organization but constant change in management direction keeps employees from reaching potential

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

Compensation, opportunity for travel and foreign assignments, very smart employees. Vision of C-suite leaders is inspirational.

Cons

Corporate culture in HQ out of touch with business operations and employees' career concerns. Non-C-Suite leaders ignore advice from director / manager level staff and only want to surround themselves with people who agree with their views.

Don't allow leaders to use operational changes as an excuse to change organizational structure multiple times a year. Develop a plan, staff accordingly, and execute. Changing direction so often is not strategic - employees simply do not believe the leaders and it undermines the vision of C-Suite. It also creates unnecessary shareholder risk.

Confusion

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at AES Corporation

Pros

There are no pros for this company

Cons

Upper management is deceitful and dishonest

Change entire management currently employed

AES Corporate office

I have been working at AES Corporation

Pros

Good Salary and Great Bonus

Cons

Open sycophancy in every department. We used to be known for our diversity and openness. Now it is going towards lip service.
    Bad working conditions.

Introspect, please. Hiring or promoting people should not be about who you know but what skills you possess. It used to be a good company, make it great.

6. Never Dull

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

AES is a place where there is always a lot going on. Across the organization there are new initiatives, issues challenges etc. that keep everyone busy. In more recent years much of the activity is a result of the company being proactive, so that is a good thing. I feel like I am always learning. The other great thing about working here is the people: smart, hard working, team players who are usually good fun to work with as well. Also, the team here in Arlington is very diverse: we have people here from so many different countries and with many different experiences. This helps to make the experience here both professionally and personally rewarding.

Cons

The pace is fast and sometimes the hours and the pressure are a challenge. It can go in cycles. When things are really tough you just need to hang in there and work through the challenges until things get somewhat normal.

Make sure that we are not over ambitious with how much we aim to do at once. Set clear priorities and decide which things will be done later rather than now.

7. Change is constant

I have been working at AES Corporation

Pros

focused on safety, global company provides opportunities

Cons

lots of change, difficult to gauge corporate direction

8. Interesting and dynamic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits are pretty good for the DC area. Generally interesting work with a lot of opportunity to work with a diverse group of people across the globe. Most of the people I have worked with are great people to be around both inside and outside of work.

Cons

With all the recent cuts the work load has increased for everyone leading to lower quality of work-life balance. This is very much dependent on which group you work for. Company is run by a small subset of people that make most of the decisions with little regard for other people's opinions. Many major decisions are made based on feeling and or relationships rather than logic. Opportunity for advancement is small and generally given to those that are in the inner circle. Decentralized business model misses out on many of the benefits of a global company especially related to shared services. Businesses make decisions for themselves at a local level rather than AES as a global company which eliminates many of the benefits of being a large company.

Utilize everyone's advice to make decisions and not just people in the "inner circle". Centralize major purchasing/ business decisions so that AES can fully utilize the power of being a global company.

9. Great experience. Vary diverse company, with global presence and a lot of challenges and learning opportunities!

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversity of Workforce, presence in 20 countries, career development opportunity, great salary and benefits.

Cons

Company's structure has changed a lot in the last years. Some of this changes were necessary, but it takes time for the company and employees to get used to it.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

You’ve pretty much summed it up—AES is full of diverse people working towards an important mission of providing safe, reliable and sustainable energy solutions all around the world. We appreciate ... More

10. 10 week Business Development Internship

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at AES Corporation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

worked with very experienced and intelligent professionals.
    provided an intern collaboration project to communicate with other interns.
    International Business environment.

Cons

The interactions between managers and entry level employees were limited.
    A traditional firm with a traditional work environment.

More activities that promote more interactions between senior employees and entry level employees.
    More inter-department activities to let the interns know the functions and people from different department and business within the company.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

This is really valuable feedback. We want to ensure that our interns get the most out of their internship and will share this feedback with our HR team so they can continuously improve our internship ... More

11. Fast paced, motivating, and diverse, AES is a great place to work for!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: AES has a fast pace working environment. You will be surrounded with diverse, intelligent and energetic co-workers. Most people have the “can do” attitude. The compensation package is very reasonable. AES has a flexible working schedule but most people are working very hard to make sure the goals are accomplished.

Cons

The downside is that there is some inconsistency in leadership styles so it might not always reflect the company’s value. Also, many tiers of management/approvals can cause a delay in completing a project and some great ideas might not get implemented.

Promote teamwork and a platform for open collaboration in a flatter structure.

Dec 15, 2014Internal Communications

Thanks for leaving your feedback. We agree—we’re an organization full of people with “can do” attitudes. With that said, we hate to hear that you feel there are barriers to implementing new ideas. We ... More