AES Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

AES Corporation President & CEO Andrés Gluski

Andrés Gluski

Pros:
  • "Great global company that really trys to do the right thing socially worldwide"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great benefits, great people to work for, and superb flexibility regarding hours"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours - challengeing environment to manage the multiple time zones and cultures"
    in 7 reviews
  • "AES has gone through a lot of changes and reorganizations in the last 10 years"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Different Company

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you work in the Corporate offices in Arlington, is very flexible.
Open doors, and all management is very accessible.
Global company with presence in 21 countries. Opportunities for development in different countries and environments.
I like the values of the company and its commitment to doing good business.
Great people, different backgrounds, cultures and nationalities.

ConsIf you don´t like change and prefer more structured and formal companies... this is not your place.

Not a place to work

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits, free parking, location, and company match.

ConsExtreme long hours. Management wants "aces" and step aside if you don't want to work 7 days a week. You must answer emails at all hours of the day and night. You are not rewarded equally for pay or bonus. It is a club atmosphere. Your boss will ride you nonstop. No concern for your health or well being. They say their number one concern is "safety" but that is not true. If they think it's safe to work 12-14 hour days just to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow the train down. So many changes in a short amount of time. Stop with all the meetings. It's ridiculous. You have to work late or at home just to actually do your job since you are in meetings all day long and even late in the evening.

Experience has been Ok, but many swings in morale due to constant changes in strategic direction.

Supply Chain Services Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork with people from around the world, opportunities to experience multiple cultures and job functions.

ConsComplex hierarchical structure, few and in between efforts for people development.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people

Good company to work for esp. if you need international exposure

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AES Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInternational / regional exposure esp. if you want to understand markets in remote parts of the world
Good comparative compensation
Great experience to develop skills related to change management

ConsLong work hours
Ever changing priorities with constant change in management
Internal processes need to be improved

Challenging and diverse environment with very competent people and good outlook.

Director (Current Employee)

Pros1. Intense international exposure
2. Dynamic and exciting environment with several ongoing projects and learning opportunities
3. Positive outlook, with company re-developing its strategic direction and focus

Cons1. Not a high growth company, limiting internal opportunities
2. Process for talent development not well structured

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain focus on strategic priorities, do not stray from path laid out for the company

Challenging and interesting place to work with a lot of very smart people. I feel like I'm constantly learning.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people, the leadership (particularly the CEO), the industry and international aspect that requires a good understanding of macroeconomic developments, strong values, and an improving Board of Director composition/engagement

ConsConstantly reorganizing, a new people review system that is virtually incomprehensible and very difficult to rate people with, information channels that are somewhat tightly controlled (with only select people at corporate having access to businesses)

Too many uncertainties exist, too many changes, making this an undesirable place to work.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay and benefit is pretty competitive. People are nice and very knowledgeable.

ConsThere are a lot of changes going on, office redesign, people being laid off (everyone is over-worked). There's hardly any opportunities as the company has become very lean.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust office redesign happen? Our productivity will be hurt.

Challenging, satisfying and impactful!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSince coming to AES, I have been fortunate to grow in responsibility, and have meaningful impact to the direction, execution and delivery of projects bringing needed power across the globe. The focus on refining the corporate strategy, pruning assets that were not core, and redeploying capital is paying off.

ConsThere was quite a bit of hangover from the previous culture of complete independence and lack of process / collaboration that held the company back from performing up to its potential when I came to the company four years ago, but it has fortunately improved immensely. There are still pockets of the old school that can be difficult to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove bench strength. There are a lot of talented people, but not people coming up behind that are ready to step in.

Challenging work environment where you can make a difference. Great pay and benefits.

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsChallenging work. Your experience and input matters in decision making. I feel like you can make a difference by what you do each day. Great global company that really trys to do the right thing socially worldwide.

ConsLong hours at times. Corporate office has really cut costs and become very lean in size. It is hard to keep all the balls in the air at times because of the reduced staffing levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that costs aren't cut so low that service and support levels suffer.

Constantly changing

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

ProsDynamic company, very complex, and interesting

ConsA lot of changes - never satisfied with one structure and always in restructuring mode rather than just executing the plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more. Management talks among themselves but doesn't tell anyone else what they're thinking.

Worked for AES Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

AES Corporation Videos

AES Corporation – Why Work for Us?

The AES Corporation is a Fortune 200 global power company. Our global workforce of approximately 25,000 people is spread across 23 countries on five continents. Every day, our people work towards a common goal of… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AES Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AES Corporation CEO Andrés Gluski. All 71 reviews posted anonymously by AES Corporation employees.