AES Corporation Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.9

AES Corporation President & CEO Andrés Gluski
Andrés Gluski

Pros
  • As a global company AES offers a wide variety of opportunities working alongside great people (in 11 reviews)

• Interesting global company involved in interesting transactions (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, little recognition and discrimination of women is prevalent (in 12 reviews)

• You must be strong enough to manage your work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Keeps you on your feet and challenges you to work harder and think smarter

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AES has an environment that is constantly changing and challenging the employee population but the foundation and values remain the same. AES is truly powered by its people and the hard work and employee dedication have the chance to impact the business positively. There has been a lot of effort surrounding people experience and culture and the improvements have been noticeable over the past 12 months. The communication flow is spreading from the ELT to different level managers and making its way throughout the entire organization.

Cons

Career paths are sometimes unclear and training opportunities are not widely spread throughout the company. Certain processes are painstaking and should be looked at to be streamlined for better user experiences.

It is clear that AES is running at a rapid speed and our executives as well as employees are dedicating all we have to make AES a success. Take time to appreciate the hard work, dedication and passion of your teams and continue with the positive morale. Individually we are all intelligent and capable of great things, but it takes a village to make AES everything it can be.

Great company, great environment, highly recommend

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly autonomous work environment, great flexibility, great growth potential. Everyone at AES are true professionals and it's great to work with such intelligent and motivated colleagues. One of AES' core values is have fun at work, and I really feel that we do

Cons

Long work hours at times, but to me the additional time is rewarding

The Power Breakfasts with Andres are fantastic. There is nothing better than hearing company strategy and recent developments right from the top

Great place to learn/start a career, great pay/benefits, great place to work!

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No work day is ever the same at AES - the environment is challenging, truly global, and changes regularly. Great work-life balance - can work from home on occasion, as long as your work is done there is no issue taking time off.

The leadership has really focused their approach over the last few years. More attention has been put on talent development, working more efficiently, and internal communication. There is a lot more clarification from the leadership about the company's strategy and priorities. I think we're headed in the right direction and this will be a great organization to be a part of over the next three to five years.

Cons

Although there has been more of a focus on talent development over the last few years, there is still room for improvement. The emphasis has been more at the top levels of the organization and very few people have a defined career path (that they know about). It would be helpful for all levels of the organization to receive the same attention - rotational opportunities, defined career path, development programs, etc.

AES Cares about their employees.

I have been working at AES Corporation

Pros

AES has regular safety training and gives employees opportunities to serve in the community. They invest in their employees and offer fair compensation and benefits accordingly. Leadership regularly attends service projects.

Cons

Work projects are high intensity and demanding which can be off putting to some people.

Challenging Environment with Opportunity to Grow

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment that welcomes all to contribute and collaborate. Your past experience is appreciated and used however manageable. Excellent training courses available both through the company and through access from other individuals with outside contacts i.e. webinars from 3rd party vendors, etc. Always being pushed to learn more and motivated to work harder. Very impressed and love the work ethic of the people here.

Cons

Hours can be long due to the company being international; working with any Asian time zones can be a challenge. But that is to be expected when working in the international realm. Since there is a 'liberal leave' policy for vacation, it can be difficult to know when is the most appropriate times to take time off if not around the holidays. However, that is something that can be worked out with your supervisor. Never had an issue with that. Just a new concept.

Great place to work, come with an open mind to learn and contribute!

Current Employee - Senior Member of the IT Organization in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of the IT Organization in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

The company has a unique culture that is somewhat difficult to penetrate and understand; however, that is part of the challenge and once achieved, there are many opportunities that can be created for you to grow. The leadership teams from the top to mid-level are interested in making this the best place to work, which is outstanding. The people at AES corporate are intelligent and if you are willing to invest some of your own personal time to learn about the company; then the sky will be the limit for your growth. I think the benefits are rich and good as well.

Cons

If you don't start on the right foot, you might as well leave. Challenging "status quo" must be done with diplomacy and after doing a lot of homework to be sure you can defend your idea. This makes it difficult to brainstorm and put ideas on the table for fear of being labeled as "insufficiently knowledgeable" and ultimately excluded from contributing. This could also lead to a lot of the “same” people for decisions / ideas; limiting innovation.

Stay the course with the Power Breakfast and Safety Day; etc. Look to improve some of the internal tools to be in line with a true sector leader. The HR tools are in dire need of improvements and they are short on the basic capabilities such as single sign on and comprehensive views. Self-improvement learning tools for employees are also key to employees feeling valued and appreciated.
    Finally, I would suggest:
     a) Create a "Products and Services" section on the external website to highlight some of the A&E capabilities of AES, and
    b) Identify the competitor(s) and where they might be ahead of us; uniting the employees to “beat/exceed” the competition can be a very powerful force with a common goal to rally towards.

Challenging environment, with lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A changing complex business model provides great learning opportunities. Great people who work together towards a common goal. Long term compensation and bonus potential make up a good compensation package.

Cons

Since it is an international business employees are expected to work some long hours and check email on weekends. The new open design of the Corporate office provides challenges for getting work complete and is not a good match for the type of work most people need to do on a daily basis.

Good and bad

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time

Pros

Clear plan and priorities from the top. They say all the right things and I believe that they are responsive to employee feedback. My group in particular is small, focused, and fantastic - great individuals who are wonderful mentors.

Cons

No effort made to link day-to-day to goals. Total shareholder return better than the S&P Utiltiies? Great, but how am I supposed to move the needle?

No career progression path besides a vague recommendation to work in one of the businesses as opposed to in the corporate headquarters. That's managing existing bloat, not retaining or developing talent.

Quite a few managers have a tendency to micromanage. Communication between departments can be very secretive and competitive, to no real end.

Developing the top managers by rotating them between the regions is a great idea, but a rotational program for junior employees would be just as helpful. It would also create organic communication loops and help unearth new adjacencies and opportunities.

Dream job that became a nightmare

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at AES Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits were very good. The job itself was challenging and self-directed, which I prefer. The person who hired me was a wonderful boss - very forward thinking in terms of team building and goal accomplishment and did NOT micromanage every breath I took. And then he went on to another position....

Cons

The company policies for time-off and work/life balance are ideal but they do not ensure that management applies those policies. I went from having a true leader to having a micromanaging dictator who treated me like a slave. The company was well aware of the reputation and history of this individual since this person was part of a company that AES acquired. It was an easy, cheap solution for them to retain this person .....and as a result, AES lost several excellent employees.

Policies are great but try actually implementing them throughout the organization.

AES has a very unique culture and is an exciting and challenging place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AES Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AES is value driven, and the company clearly cares about its people. The AES mission to provide "safe, reliable, and sustainable energy" is incredibly meaningful, especially because safety is valued above all else. Those who have written negative and nasty remarks singling out individual AES leaders obviously do not belong at AES. Our leadership team does a remarkable job in communicating AES' long term strategy with its people. Our CIO, Elizabeth, is constantly encouraging feedback from all individuals, no matter their positions within the company. She did a phenomenal job transforming the workplace into a collaborative and more efficient work environment.

Cons

Requires long hours, but I am sure that is the same for any other Fortune 200 company.

Keep doing what you're doing!